Offensive line play

lo country

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Per Sean Callahan, he was told Bunch was having a hard time reading the zone read correctly.  Not sure how many times we actually ran that play wrong or if that means we quit running it because he was struggling with it but that would definitely put a damper on the offense.

I remember the one play where if he had handed it off to JD, Spielman would have been walking into the end zone.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Per Sean Callahan, he was told Bunch was having a hard time reading the zone read correctly.  Not sure how many times we actually ran that play wrong or if that means we quit running it because he was struggling with it but that would definitely put a damper on the offense.

100% true statement.  From the looks of things, the second half there was no "read" calls.  Straight gives to the back.  He couldn't read the defense on either option plays or coverage on passing plays.

5 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

100% true statement.  From the looks of things, the second half there was no "read" calls.  Straight gives to the back.  He couldn't read the defense on either option plays or coverage on passing plays.

I would think Martinez and Vedral were pretty upset with not being able to play watching that.

• Plus1 2

Yikes.  We need to get Conrad out of there.

Screen play in the second quarter where Washington gets blown up. Conrad is looking over his shoulder as he moves to set up the screen.  Runs right past the guy who blew up Washington.  There was a lot of yards there - and Washington in open pasture - if he simply sees that guy and gets in his way.

I was pretty down on Conrad last year.  I almost got talked into the "he was hurt all year after Oregon" line during the off season.  That could have been true but there are other issues as well.

Addendum: We scored a TD on that drive anyway - TD pass to Morgan - so I guess it didn't matter but Conrad got man-handled two plays later by the DT and only a great jump-cut from Washington turned a bad play into a great one.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yikes.  We need to get Conrad out of there.

Screen play in the second quarter where Washington gets blown up. Conrad is looking over his shoulder as he moves to set up the screen.  Runs right past the guy who blew up Washington.  There was a lot of yards there - and Washington in open pasture - if he simply sees that guy and gets in his way.

I was pretty down on Conrad last year.  I almost got talked into the "he was hurt all year after Oregon" line during the off season.  That could have been true but there are other issues as well.

Addendum: We scored a TD on that drive anyway - TD pass to Morgan - so I guess it didn't matter but Conrad got man-handled two plays later by the DT and only a great jump-cut from Washington turned a bad play into a great one.

Watched the replay of the game and thought back to last year when Decker was in there and it seemed like a vastly improved unit.

Wonder when someone else will get a shot besides Farmer. Too many guys standing around at the end of plays that end up with our ballcarrier getting sandwiched. Conrad I counted the most.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Watched the replay of the game and thought back to last year when Decker was in there and the it seemed like a vastly improved unit.

Wonder when someone else will get a shot besides Farmer. Too many guys standing around at the end of plays that end up with our ballcarrier getting sandwiched. Conrad I counted the most.

Good call on Decker.  Hadn't thought about him for awhile but it would sure be nice to have him to at least get a shot.

I've maybe only seen Farmer miss a couple plays so far.  And they were communication issues, not getting beat.  

Would sure like to see us slide Farmer in to Center and give Wilson a shot at RG.

I'm also wondering how much we were changing things on the fly as this game developed.  I'm well in to the second half and we haven't run a zone read play yet this half (and didn't much later in the first half either).  We're still running plays that look like zone read but we've changed our blocking scheme so that we're not leaving an unblocked defender.  Maybe we practice both ways but we sure don't (usually) run those types of plays. 

We also ran one sprint option and it was obvious that NO ONE on the offense knew which defender was supposed to be the option read because we left about three defenders unblocked as we ran past them.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We also ran one sprint option and it was obvious that NO ONE on the offense knew which defender was supposed to be the option read because we left about three defenders unblocked as we ran past them.

Let us know if you see a speed/sprint option that looks well executed in either game.  It would be like finding a 4 leaf clover.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Let us know if you see a speed/sprint option that looks well executed in either game.  It would be like finding a 4 leaf clover.  

Yeah, we haven't executed that play well yet.  We ran it 2 or 3 times against Colorado and at least everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing in that game.  We just kept having a receiver miss a block.  

This time no one was on the same page about what was supposed to be happening.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, we haven't executed that play well yet.  We ran it 2 or 3 times against Colorado and at least everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing in that game.  We just kept having a receiver miss a block.  

This time no one was on the same page about what was supposed to be happening.

Coaches need to pop in some UCF tape to show how well it can be ran with 2 star players.

Austin said the communication on the O-line has to keep getting better. "Communication on the offensive line, it's not just something that happens overnight. It happens gradually, with reps, those guys being next to each other ... And then in the fog of battle, not being fatigued and having the same confirmation of information in terms of communication. That's where sometimes on Saturday we faltered."

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

In my unqualified opinion the should slide farmer to center and start wilson at guard. Farmer is just a better player and wilson is the future at guard so he needs experience. Depending on how the next couple of weeks go this season might not end up in a bowl game and it might be most beneficial for the future to get a young underclassmen starts over a under performing senior.