Spring Game Overreaction Thread

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I guess I'm not as high on either team as you.  Ibrahim carried  Minnesota last year.  Between losing him and losing a ton of experience on the defensive side, I don't view them as all that established.   I give Nebraska the edge on both sides of the ball.   Deion is starting at a much lower place than Rhule.  They only way his program surpasses Rhule by week 2 is if he's just significantly better.

I think NU has a better shot at winning at Colorado, since CU has been one of the worst FBS programs the past couple of years.  The only thing that worries me about either team is NU's recent history of crapping the bed on the road.  I know a new coaching staff should help that, but that winning attitude can take time to play.

• Plus1 2

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I think NU has a better shot at winning at Colorado, since CU has been one of the worst FBS programs the past couple of years.  The only thing that worries me about either team is NU's recent history of crapping the bed on the road.  I know a new coaching staff should help that, but that winning attitude can take time to play.

I think what we're all mostly worried in both games is fumbling them away.  Which I admit is a valid concern. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Since Deion just about turned over their whole roster, the last few years really don't have much bearing on this year, right?

I guess so, I just don't know.  I would think some experience would be helpful, but if they suck, then I can see Deion's point of not keeping them.  I think CU's lack of continuity on the roster and coaching staff can be an issue, although somewhat the same could be said for NU. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Between losing him and losing a ton of experience on the defensive side...

I think Minnesota had a deceptively good offensive line last year also, actually. They only return two of those five starters, and that hurts them. I'm not sure if they brought in any portal guys that will start though.

But whether it's easy to admit or not, they're a well-coached team. Just hoping we can say the same about our team come late August.

• Plus1 4

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think Minnesota had a deceptively good offensive line last year also, actually. They only return two of those five starters, and that hurts them. I'm not sure if they brought in any portal guys that will start though.

But whether it's easy to admit or not, they're a well-coached team. Just hoping we can say the same about our team come late August.

Yeah, I can't stand Fleck but they know what they're doing. More turnover this year than some past years, but they won 9 games in 2021 without Ibrahim and the new QB got some experience last year. Was really hoping their DC would take a head coaching job somewhere - their offensive style helps the defense out (they're consistently at the bottom for number of plays defended), but they're just solid and have been since he took over. IMO under Fleck it will always be a winnable game, with culture/personality and play style they're never going to bring in a lot of high-end talent. But you can't make more than a couple mistakes against them, and we make a ton.

It will be a really interesting introduction to White's defense though - on the one hand, I think the new defense will make their frustrating RPO game a lot more challenging for them. But they also might not need the RPOs, new starters or not they are big up front and zone block as well as anybody. Maybe the attacking defense is great and we get a bunch of TFLs (a rare sight against them the past few years), or maybe we create seams with that and it's another game where they don't even need to throw it.

• Plus1 2