2024 Congressional Election

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The current Congress has been the least productive in modern history.  Good evidence to my thought that the GOP in its present form isn't a governing body but an opposition party.  

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/19/118-congress-bills-least-unproductive-chart

The 118th Congress is on track to be one of the most unproductive in modern history, with just a couple dozen laws on the books at the close of 2023, according to data from data analytics firm Quorum.

Why it matters: It's the product of not only divided partisan control of Washington, but infighting within the House Republican majority that has routinely ground legislative business to a halt.

• That includes the three-week period this fall in which Congress was paralyzed Republican's inability to find a replacement for ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)

The big picture: Just 20 bills have been passed by both chambers and signed into law this year, with another four currently awaiting President Biden's signature, according to the Quorum data.

• That's far below even historically unproductive first years: The 104th, 112th and 113th Congresses, in which Republicans controlled one or both chambers with Democrats Bill Clinton and Barack Obama in the White House, passed between 70 and 73 laws.
  • 2023 also marks the low point in a years-long trend toward gridlock: Five of the six most unproductive first years have been since 2011.

Zoom in: When you dig into the laws passed by this Congress, the picture becomes even more bleak.

• The vast majority were uncontroversial bills that passed either by unanimous consent or with minimal opposition, including multiple measures to rename Veterans Affairs clinics and another to mint a coin commemorating the 250th anniversary of the Marine Corps.

• Plus1 3

Thanks TG, it just shows how callously against the well being of the citizens these people are. They are so out of touch its sickening. 

What's worse, they make $175k a year minimum, and make ten(s) times more than that on their insider trading or from big money donors and lobbyists.

We the people should implement meaningful term limits quickly. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks TG, it just shows how callously against the well being of the citizens these people are. They are so out of touch its sickening. 

What's worse, they make $175k a year minimum, and make ten(s) times more than that on their insider trading or from big money donors and lobbyists.

I agree that R’a have become more of an opposition party instead of trying to pass legislation they are for.   

That said, There has been a trend the past two decades of doing these massive bills instead more single issue bills and that bogs down the entire legislative process because it makes it much easier for a politician to find a way to oppose a bill and vote no while saying they support the good parts of the bill.   

Congress will be more productive when they work on smaller bills, but I don’t see that happening because it’s easier and better for re-election to just vote no against the other party and for the other party to make massive bills they know won’t get support from the other party with all the extra trash in there.  

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree that R’a have become more of an opposition party instead of trying to pass legislation they are for.   

That said, There has been a trend the past two decades of doing these massive bills instead more single issue bills and that bogs down the entire legislative process because it makes it much easier for a politician to find a way to oppose a bill and vote no while saying they support the good parts of the bill.   

Congress will be more productive when they work on smaller bills, but I don’t see that happening because it’s easier and better for re-election to just vote no against the other party and for the other party to make massive bills they know won’t get support from the other party with all the extra trash in there.  

good insight

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Agree 100% especially the bold. 

• Plus1 1

Bobblehead Boebert decides if you can't beat them (the Dem candidate) RUN AWAY!  She's moving to the easier 4th district of Colorado (the east, rural half of the state.) But she would have to win a primary there.  I hope some native to that district paints her as a carpet beggar and soundly defeats her in the primary.  That would be great to see her assumption of being the anointed one go down in flames. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/boebert-switches-congressional-districts-avoiding-a-democratic-opponent-who-has-far-outraised-her/ar-AA1m7I3N?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=7de2298a97ca47cd8d4e4a4f98930e9a&ei=6

• Plus1 2