Matt Rhule sucks

Husker816

On 9/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, LennynSquiggy said:

That is revisionist history. 

Jerry Tagge, Vince Ferragamo and Dave Humm all went to the NFL in the 70's. Tagge didn't last long but Ferragamo lead the Rams to the Superbowl in 79 and Dave Humm was a back up for 11 years. Those guys weren't just another running back and we weren't running an option offense until the 80's.

Having a running QB was when we won.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, River-runner said:

We won two national championships with Jerry Tagge and Van Brownson alternating at quarterback.

1970: 11-0-1

1971: 13-0

1972: 9-2-1

1973: 9-2-1

1974: 9-3

1975: 10-2

1976: 9-3-1

1977: 9-3

1978: 9-3

1979: 10-2

1980: 10-2

Total: 108-22-4

I think most folks would say we were winning even though we didn't win it all every year, or even the Big 8 Championship every year. We achieved that record with passing quarterbacks, a pro-style offense, and what was considered at the time to be a balanced offense. So maybe we can finally put the notion that we have to have a run-first quarterback and a run-heavy offense in order to win to bed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LennynSquiggy said:

We won two national championships with Jerry Tagge and Van Brownson alternating at quarterback.

1970: 11-0-1

1971: 13-0

1972: 9-2-1

1973: 9-2-1

1974: 9-3

1975: 10-2

1976: 9-3-1

1977: 9-3

1978: 9-3

1979: 10-2

1980: 10-2

Total: 108-22-4

I think most folks would say we were winning even though we didn't win it all every year, or even the Big 8 Championship every year. We achieved that record with passing quarterbacks, a pro-style offense, and what was considered at the time to be a balanced offense. So maybe we can finally put the notion that we have to have a run-first quarterback and a run-heavy offense in order to win to bed.

That was a world away in football as compared to today's schemes, athletic abilities, and coaching savvy.  Not to mention many other things.  The QB with a good backfield would look just fine then.  But now days he's got to have top notch abilities and coaches recognize that.  Do a championship teams record from 2010 on.  It might look quite different as to who was taking the snaps on those teams.

52 minutes ago, Hagg said:

That was a world away in football as compared to today's schemes, athletic abilities, and coaching savvy.  Not to mention many other things.  The QB with a good backfield would look just fine then.  But now days he's got to have top notch abilities and coaches recognize that.  Do a championship teams record from 2010 on.  It might look quite different as to who was taking the snaps on those teams.

You sound like Kirk Herbstreight when he was talking about how the '70 Nebraska team shouldn't be in the running for best college football team of all time.

The three quarterbacks I mentioned previously weren't just good, they were good enough to get drafted into the NFL. You also don't take into account the post I was responding to that said the Husker football program was built on quarterbacks that were essentially another running back. (Paraphrasing that last bit.)

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, River-runner said:

What great good QB would risk his career on a dumpster fire like the recent Nebraska mess? 

This is the mentality we need to change. Could’ve said the same thing about CU and 5 star players. Deion pulled in Hunter + a number of other big names. The right coach + NIL can pull talent here.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

20 hours ago, LennynSquiggy said:

You sound like Kirk Herbstreight when he was talking about how the '70 Nebraska team shouldn't be in the running for best college football team of all time.

The three quarterbacks I mentioned previously weren't just good, they were good enough to get drafted into the NFL. You also don't take into account the post I was responding to that said the Husker football program was built on quarterbacks that were essentially another running back. (Paraphrasing that last bit.)

The 1971 Nebraska football team is as far removed from today's football as Notre Dame's legendary 1924 National Champions were from those Huskers. It's a non-winnable argument. 

Jerry Tagge barely drew an NFL paycheck. Dave Humm had a longer career as a benchwarmer. Vince Ferragamo was a Cal transfer who had the offense built around him. Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch and Scott Frost were big names worthy of a low-risk draft pick, but only if they agreed not to play quarterback. There was no position in the NFL a guy like Turner Gill could play. 

The last 40 years of QBs were often good athletes and leaders playing in a college-specific offense, and probably a Nebraska-specific offense at that. We remember them today as great players and winners -- as we should -- but without a topflight offensive line and a 12 point per game defense, we probably wouldn't be talking about them at all. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 3
23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The 1971 Nebraska football team is as far removed from today's football as Notre Dame's legendary 1924 National Champions were from those Huskers. It's a non-winnable argument.

Herbstreight's whining about how the 71 Nebraska team shouldn't be in consideration. (My bad earlier for saying it was the 70 squad)

23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Jerry Tagge barely drew an NFL paycheck. Dave Humm had a longer career as a benchwarmer. Vince Ferragamo was a Cal transfer who had the offense built around him.

I already said Tagge wasn't in the NFL long. I also mentioned that Dave Humm was an 11 year back up, and like it or not, Ferragamo lead the Rams to the 79 Superbowl. There are not very many college quarterbacks that get to the NFL and even fewer that last 11 years. Just getting drafted is an accomplishment that very few college players ever experience. And we WON with those guys, imagine that. Talk down about their accomplishments compared to other NU quarterbacks all you want but we WON with those guys and none of them were "another running back".

Maybe you missed this but this is what I responded to when I wrote the post you quoted. My post in this context is completely accurate.

• Plus1 1
On 9/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, LennynSquiggy said:

I already said Tagge wasn't in the NFL long. I also mentioned that Dave Humm was an 11 year back up, and like it or not, Ferragamo lead the Rams to the 79 Superbowl. There are not very many college quarterbacks that get to the NFL and even fewer that last 11 years. Just getting drafted is an accomplishment that very few college players ever experience. And we WON with those guys, imagine that. Talk down about their accomplishments compared to other NU quarterbacks all you want but we WON with those guys and none of them were "another running back".

Maybe you missed this but this is what I responded to when I wrote the post you quoted. My post in this context is completely accurate.

Absolutely. We won without running quarterbacks 50 years ago. Then we won with running quarterbacks 25 years ago. I'm not sure what that says about us now, but it's still true that NU has never been considered a hotbed of NFL quarterbacks. 

• Fire 2