I wish NU would install a few offensive wrinkles

KCBuc

On 10/27/2023 at 9:35 AM, Enhance said:

PREACH on this.

Maybe they've run a few of these this season and I just haven't been paying attention, but I've been wishing they'd do more of them. I feel like it's a better way to get HH in a rhythm vs. relying on him to drop back, go through his progressions and fire an accurate pass.

Roll him out. Bootlegs and RPO’s. He is NOT a drop back passer. He can possibly be a dual threat if used correctly. 

4 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Unless I missed it, surprised no one has mentioned the RB screen...for an OL that struggles to pass pro I am surprised on how little to never we run the RB screen

One of the early games we called one and it hit for a big gain against a blitz. I wanna say it was the CU game, but I'm not sure. We've called it a couple times since but it keeps getting blown up. Probably need to change up the sign for it :lol:

It's funny how everyone keeps asking to run certain plays, and we already do. The offense is just soooo bad now (not that it was that much better with the original starters) that we can't execute basic calls.

• Plus1 3
On 10/28/2023 at 1:12 PM, UniversalMartin said:

Unless I missed it, surprised no one has mentioned the RB screen...for an OL that struggles to pass pro I am surprised on how little to never we run the RB screen

A true screen pass is very difficult to run and execute well. It takes the o-line, RB, and QB to be on the same page and timing.  If one area screws up, the play will go for nothing or even a loss. It’s not something that can be installed “quickly”.

I don’t remember Tom Osborne running many (or any) screen passes at NU, but he put in a “throw back screen” during the Fiesta Bowl practices before Florida. With the extra practices, Osborne installed it for one play in the game. NU ran it in the first quarter from Florida’s 25 or so, and it went for a TD.  However, it almost didn’t work after Frazier’s pass was high and LP had to make a great catch over his head. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A true screen pass is very difficult to run and execute well. It takes the o-line, RB, and QB to be on the same page and timing.  If one area screws up, the play will go for nothing or even a loss. It’s not something that can be installed “quickly”.

I don’t remember Tom Osborne running many (or any) screen passes at NU, but he put in a “throw back screen” during the Fiesta Bowl practices before Florida. With the extra practices, Osborne installed it for one play in the game. NU ran it in the first quarter from Florida’s 25 or so, and it went for a TD.  However, it almost didn’t work after Frazier’s pass was high and LP had to make a great catch over his head. 

Didn't Sims complete a screen pass in the first game?  Teams with bad o-lines should runs screens at least a couple times a game.  I used to tell the kids I coached just block like you normally do (badly) but when you let the guy by you run over there and stand in a group.