What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

1 hour ago, soup said:

To the bolded.  Is it coaching though? (yes, I know there are drills and reinforcements, etc)  We have seen it now over how many coaches starting with Solich in 99.  I know everyone was kind of joking, but I am starting to wonder if it really does have something to do with the Adidas football, or something systemic within the program.

I admittedly used the term coaching a bit loosely here, but yes that's what I think it largely boils down to. I don't really buy the systemic argument (at least in terms of stuff going on for 20+ years. I don't think anything that happened more than a couple years ago is very relevant to today. If you get the right people and systems in place, you can turn most any program or franchise around.) The Adidas thing... I don't know enough about that to know whether or not to take that seriously, but I have seen other people mention it.

Back on coaching though, turnovers tend to happen when players have poor fundamentals, don't understand what they're supposed to be doing, and/or are trying to do too much.  A lot of that comes down to how they're being instructed and being set up for success, which is directly under the coach's purview. It's not always 100% the coach's fault, though. Players have to execute. And we've heard Rhule allude to this in some of his press conferences.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, soup said:

To the bolded.  Is it coaching though? (yes, I know there are drills and reinforcements, etc)  We have seen it now over how many coaches starting with Solich in 99.  I know everyone was kind of joking, but I am starting to wonder if it really does have something to do with the Adidas football, or something systemic within the program.

Talking about the Adidas footballs is possibly a worthwhile conversation as it pertains to fumbles.  But, I fail to see how that would affect QBs throwing TDs every third possession.  

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As I recall, the1999 Husker team that went 12-1 and ended the season ranked #2 led the NCAA in fumbles. 

Great team and a weird anomaly. 

Yep!  They had nearly 50 fumbles on the season.  McBride’s last defense definitely helped make up for all of those fumbles and turnovers. Unfortunately, a fumble (from Buckhalter, I think) near the goal line cost that ‘99 team the Texas game and a shot of the national championship.  That team also almost blew a game to Colorado when Dan Alexander dropped a perfect option pitch which could have scored a TD late against CU. NU only won in OT because CU’s kicker shanked a chip-shot FG at the end of regulation. 

• Plus1 2