Fire Satterfield

Decked

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I normally start the blame with the staff and then work down to the players. I think you could maybe lay quite a bit of blame on Satterfield for Sims' problems, but then again he only played two games. We were probably one false start by an offensive lineman and an Anthony Grant fumble away from winning that one regardless.

But yeah, since the staff pretty clearly saw Sims as the starter from even before the spring game, I can lay some blame on Satterfield for Sims not being ready. But also Sims is just not a very good player.

It's harder for me personally to lay much more blame on Satterfield for the stuff Haarberg struggled with because he was actually the 3rd string QB but played as the 2nd string guy because of Purdy's injury.

I think Satt can own 2 elements of blame:

1. The Sims transfer was obviously a disaster of a pick up. They hitched their wagon to a turnover machine and basically relied on a guy who couldnt help himself but give the ball to the other team.

2. We're done with the first season and if someone were to ask me what our offense is I couldnt tell ya.  The biggest success we had all year was a suggestion from osborne to send a guy deep on the fake option play.  We relentlessly called wr screens with WRs who couldn't block for s#!t.  We were sold a power run type offense yet for whatever reason defaulted to qb read option plays more-often than not  in short to down situations.  I entered this season feeling great about the TE room yet I leave it feeling like it too has problems- I get fidone is still coming back from injuries but man do I feel like we under utilized him by not using him more across the field or in formations where he's running routes underneath coverage; where was boerkircher?  

Perhaps the injuries and qb situation really took away a lot of what I listed in number 2 but it feels like we didnt even try some of the concepts that would play to whatever strength we could claim on offense. 

I am obviously beating a dead horse with the comments above but for being the highest paid assistant in progrum history, I sure as hell didn't expect to witness the worst offense in progrum history.  Pretty appalling when this offense is compared to the production of the team in 1968, when lower scoring games were common place and teams werent chucking it around the yard like they do today.  Taking eras into consideration, I'd be shocked if this offense didnt rank dead last in progrum history.

• TBH 2
21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I'm in a similar camp as you- ill chalk it up to insane injuries plus first year struggles.  That article tho posted above also included this stat that gave me pause:

"The best predictor of future success is past results. That's a big reason I'm so skeptical that Satterfield will ultimately work out. In six seasons as an offensive coordinator, his offenses have ranked 88th, 97th, 60th, 104th, 40th and 121st in scoring, and 74th, 117th, 96th, 110th, 72nd and 116th in total offense. Three different teams. Three different conferences. Same inept results."

Hard to argue with stats- similar to the Jeff Sims story.  Sims was a turnover machines, comes here and guess what, morphs into a turnover nightmare.  I'll remain optimistic a full offseason and influx of talent can help Satt but hot damn, the stat I pasted above gives me a disdain towards this hiring decision I haven't felt before.

Yes the same quote gave me pause as well.   Put it brings me pause because Rhule could have brought in just about anyone with the salary that was being offered but knowing the above results still brought in Satt based on relationship - he had coached with him before.  Loyalty and relationship is great if everyone is successful.  But this is also why Frost brought his whole staff with him from UCF - and look where that got us. 

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes the same quote gave me pause as well.   Put it brings me pause because Rhule could have brought in just about anyone with the salary that was being offered but knowing the above results still brought in Satt based on relationship - he had coached with him before.  Loyalty and relationship is great if everyone is successful.  But this is also why Frost brought his whole staff with him from UCF - and look where that got us. 

Rhule has stated that he has never had, nor never will have a high flying offense.  It will always be defense first and a collaborative offense (not the right word, but I'm going with it)

I'd be curious, on Satterfield's offensive ranks how the corresponding defensive ranks where?

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

If Satterfield is allowed to stay this offseason, one more season of his incompetence is all that will be necessary to kill Rhule's tenure. Things move quick in recruiting thanks to the portal, and reputations are easy to obtain and difficult to overcome. 

Also, when just about *everyone* is saying the same thing re: Satterfield, and the same criticisms levied against him at South Carolina have followed him to Lincoln...it's not a coincidence. Cut bait and find a new OC (and WR coach, and maybe O-Line coach) to breathe life into this offense...preferably one that knows how to teach ball security. 

But the real question is, do we use the term Sattergrove or Cosfield until Satterfield (and/or Rhule) are replaced? 

On 11/26/2023 at 9:46 AM, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

South Carolina must have made a huge jump on offense and won more games this year once they dumped Satt. Oh wait they scored 6 less points per game and also missed a bowl this year. Welp those fans were certainly validated. 

• Plus1 3
48 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Youre 100% right on frosty, that was always my biggest gripe about his tenure.  He did himself a disservice by having a whole staff that was void of big time P5 experience. 

I had hope rhule's staff would be slightly different given most have experience to hang their hat on (beside mcguire and weger).  I never know what rumors to believe or not but how this season played out gives some credibility to the rumor that satt was never rhules first choice and ideally he would've had Jake Peetz in the fold. 

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think Satt can own 2 elements of blame:

1. The Sims transfer was obviously a disaster of a pick up. They hitched their wagon to a turnover machine and basically relied on a guy who couldnt help himself but give the ball to the other team.

2. We're done with the first season and if someone were to ask me what our offense is I couldnt tell ya.  The biggest success we had all year was a suggestion from osborne to send a guy deep on the fake option play.  We relentlessly called wr screens with WRs who couldn't block for s#!t.  We were sold a power run type offense yet for whatever reason defaulted to qb read option plays more-often than not  in short to down situations.  I entered this season feeling great about the TE room yet I leave it feeling like it too has problems- I get fidone is still coming back from injuries but man do I feel like we under utilized him by not using him more across the field or in formations where he's running routes underneath coverage; where was boerkircher?  

Perhaps the injuries and qb situation really took away a lot of what I listed in number 2 but it feels like we didnt even try some of the concepts that would play to whatever strength we could claim on offense. 

I am obviously beating a dead horse with the comments above but for being the highest paid assistant in progrum history, I sure as hell didn't expect to witness the worst offense in progrum history.  Pretty appalling when this offense is compared to the production of the team in 1968, when lower scoring games were common place and teams werent chucking it around the yard like they do today.  Taking eras into consideration, I'd be shocked if this offense didnt rank dead last in progrum history.

Injuries might have actually helped us minus Washington. Our O line didn’t play any worse. Our QB was better at the end than the beginning or middle of season. Receivers were more athletic but young. We hardly ever tried for the explosive plays until we were desperate. Play calling was a factor in some of the late season turnovers.

Every effing team has injuries. Iowa had Deacon “fastballs only” Hill at QB and many other critical injuries (DeJean 1st rounder). It’s time to accept that we are effed next season as well, when Rhule will have no choice or excuses for keeping Satterfield afterwards. The Schedule was the easiest in my 39 years of life this year and will never happen again.

No more Big Ten West :(. Elite programs joining the conference next year. Our issue was never Scott Frost, it was his love for his friends as assistants. Just hire the best available and learn to work together and we are back in the Top 25. Enough winning over years and we are in the Playoff. Might never win a championship, but after the Riley, Frost eras, I’d just like to see us with a number next to our name again.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, soup said:

Rhule has stated that he has never had, nor never will have a high flying offense.  It will always be defense first and a collaborative offense (not the right word, but I'm going with it)

I'd be curious, on Satterfield's offensive ranks how the corresponding defensive ranks where?

Our defense was insane this year to overcome the 120th ranked scoring offense

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, ChubbaWubba said:

Injuries might have actually helped us minus Washington. Our O line didn’t play any worse. Our QB was better at the end than the beginning or middle of season. Receivers were more athletic but young. We hardly ever tried for the explosive plays until we were desperate. Play calling was a factor in some of the late season turnovers.

Every effing team has injuries. Iowa had Deacon “fastballs only” Hill at QB and many other critical injuries (DeJean 1st rounder). It’s time to accept that we are effed next season as well, when Rhule will have no choice or excuses for keeping Satterfield afterwards. The Schedule was the easiest in my 39 years of life this year and will never happen again.

No more Big Ten West :(. Elite programs joining the conference next year. Our issue was never Scott Frost, it was his love for his friends as assistants. Just hire the best available and learn to work together and we are back in the Top 25. Enough winning over years and we are in the Playoff. Might never win a championship, but after the Riley, Frost eras, I’d just like to see us with a number next to our name again.

Helped us in the long run for sure (experience for young guys).  

Next year should be fun.  Sincerely hope we're sitting at 6-1 or 7-0 heading into our final 5 game stretch against tOSU, UCLA, USC, Wiscy, Iowa.... :blink:

5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Next year should be fun.  Sincerely hope we're sitting at 6-1 or 7-0 heading into our final 5 game stretch against tOSU, UCLA, USC, Wiscy, Iowa.... :blink:

7 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Talent level should get us 7-0. Blow Jobs will get us 4 and miss a bowl game again. Get ready for the knife to the Heart season 7.

32 minutes ago, admo said:

Fire Satterfield thread.  Could be a place for discussion.  Or reasoning.  Or venting.  Or moving on.

However, with 9 months until next season, I get the feeling the thread will reach 75 pages by then.  Maybe 80.  <_<

No worries tho, carry on

:snacks:

You think when its all said and done this thread will rival the sock puppet or fizzle out well short of that kind of fame.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

You think when its all said and done this thread will rival the sock puppet or fizzle out well short of that kind of fame.

LOL I think this thread will stand on it's own legs.  I hate the title, but I do appreciate the discussion (OC & offense).  

As for the sock, as shown in rumorville, is a terrible fail attempt.  Plus his login name is a spoof.  The real legend is:    @the.sock.puppet

You can even hover his name to see the sock signal.  But for the better of the board, I hope he stays away and enjoys his sweater vest.