We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

7 minutes ago, HANC said:

I know that it is not a criteria or factor into bowl eligibility, but as much as I hate Fleck, they did beat us, so that is one team no one can complain about. Plain and simple. This team had multiple chances against subpar teams and didn’t get it done. 

We had the final four games to go bowling.  And lost all 4 in an unbelievable fashion.  OT and 3 walk-off field goals....You can't make this stuff up.  Any one of those games , one more play was made and it could've been the difference.  Each game was that close.  We have wandered in the desert for so long I have no idea how it ever changes... 

Note-Deserving or not at 5 wins, I would have loved to have gotten into post season....

2 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

Maybe I am an outlier, but I would rather Nebraska stay home and reflect on our poor season, rather than back into the Bahamas Bowl or Hawaiian Bowl. It will make the boys that much hungrier next season.

Not like it matters at this point, but I don't think the problem this season was effort or "being hungry".  I do think extra practice and learning to execute would have helped. But again, it doesn't matter and hopefully they figure it out in spring ball. 

2 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Not like it matters at this point, but I don't think the problem this season was effort or "being hungry".  I do think extra practice and learning to execute would have helped. But again, it doesn't matter and hopefully they figure it out in spring ball. 

You really think a few extra practices would have translated into 1-2 more wins? :blink:

8 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

You really think a few extra practices would have translated into 1-2 more wins? :blink:

Well ... 15 more practices could only get us one more win this year.  Because there's only one game left.

But as a springboard for next year, I'd absolutely love to get our 35 freshmen another 15 practices.  Especially Coleman and Lloyd (plus Doss and Bell for that matter).  That would double what we get during spring.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well ... 15 more practices could only get us one more win this year.  Because there's only one game left.

But as a springboard for next year, I'd absolutely love to get our 35 freshmen another 15 practices.  Especially Coleman and Lloyd (plus Doss and Bell for that matter).  That would double what we get during spring.

I meant more practices during the season. And you don't know who is practicing with the 1st stringers. An influx of talent is what will make the difference next season; we all know this.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

I meant more practices during the season. And you don't know who is practicing with the 1st stringers.

Players don't have to be practicing with the first stringers to get better.

3 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

An influx of talent is what will make the difference next season; we all know this.

No.  Many people want to claim this.  But you don't know that any more than I know who is practicing with the first-stringers.  

Rhule disagrees with you, for one.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Players don't have to be practicing with the first stringers to get better.

No.  Many people want to claim this.  But you don't know that any more than I know who is practicing with the first-stringers.  

Rhule disagrees with you, for one.

I agree with Mav and Rhule.  Some new players can of course help in some areas but I think the best teams rely on young talent coming in and growing together with sprinkles of new talent here and there.  Even a stud QB transfer is likely to have struggles until he develops some timing with WR's and understanding of what coaches are trying to do.  The Husker defense may be downright scary in 3-4 years as the current guys gain experience together.  

Rebuilding rosters through transfers brings in a lot of variables; more than likely way too many.  Colorado tried it this year, and it failed.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Street Novelist said:

If I'm counting right, college football teams only get 22 weeks of on field practice per year with coaches, not counting bowl prep. 15 extra practices (3 weeks) is a 13.6% increase in practice time. So ya, it might get us 1-2 more wins.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1