Proposed FBS Subdivision to Directly Pay Players

Mavric

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You keep bringing up players and no one is disagreeing with them wanting more.  But the concept of creating a separate company from the school will be very very hard to do because it involves a company that will have hundreds of millions of dollars of valuation that the school can have absolutely zero association with unless you want Title IX lawyers getting involved.  

If the school can’t own it, then someone has to.   Which means that someone/‘s will have hundreds of millions of reason to milk some profits like some owners of professional teams do. 

I don't disagree that it isn't a legal nightmare, but the path of getting there is pretty clear. 

If a school feels like they can get a competitive advantage by doing it, they're going to try. Once one school does it, the rest will follow. I don't think legal logistics is going to stop the University of Miami, Auburn or Florida State from competing with Alabama. 

On 12/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Comparing college football players to child labor sweatshops is akin to saying NFL players to slaves. Both are so far from reality it’s ridiculous. 

His analogy was great. It maybe just went over your head.

It wasn't saying that college football players are like people in sweatshops. It was about the concept in general of somebody getting paid versus not getting paid at all and then saying "what's the problem; they're getting paid something." Yeah, they're getting paid something - but it's obvious when some kind of disparity exists.

I think NIL is about people finally admitting that it was absurd for everyone else in the college sports ecosystem to be allowed to make actual paper money being a part of that system except the players.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Undone said:

His analogy was great. It maybe just went over your head.

It wasn't saying that college football players are like people in sweatshops. It was about the concept in general of somebody getting paid versus not getting paid at all and then saying "what's the problem; they're getting paid something." Yeah, they're getting paid something - but it's obvious when some kind of disparity exists.

I think NIL is about people finally admitting that it was absurd for everyone else in the college sports ecosystem to be allowed to make actual paper money being a part of that system except the players.

Meh….ive said I’m fine with players being payed more. But, for years, the entire discussion has included people totally ignoring the benefits they already get. Clear back in the 80s, when I was there and was friends with players, when players were supposedly like child sweatshop labor, they were already living way better than the average student at UNL.

So, unless those sweatshop kids are living way better than the average resident, it really doesn’t stick. 

well, unless we are going to admit that NFL players making millions are like slave labor. 

NOT!!!

• TBH 1

Looking at the entire AD budget for the average school, the only part of this that makes sense for players to be upset about money wise is coaching salaries. Most AD budgets already run in the red and players demand every school spend millions on facilities that actually don’t make them a better player. 

Recruits are still going to demand that, so that needs to be taken out of the equation.  That leaves coaches salary. Well, they demand being coached by the best…..that takes millions to pay the coaches. 

long term, with knowing most ADs run in the red, where is this money going to come from?  There are already huge TV contracts and big donors. 

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, unless those sweatshop kids are living way better than the average resident, it really doesn’t stick. 

well, unless we are going to admit that NFL players making millions are like slave labor. 

NOT!!!

I can tell you're still not understanding. I repeat: his point was not to actually have anybody reflect on how college football players are like people in sweatshops. I can't underscore that enough. It was about the concept in general of somebody being compensated something versus not being compensated at all and then saying "what's the problem; they're getting paid something."

NIL coming into existence was about getting rid of the rule that the NCAA had made that said the market can't decide (through whatever avenues) how and how much a player can make. Instituting NIL is less of an overt statement saying that college athletes weren't being "paid enough" as it is just admitting that the previous rule saying they can't make paper money (or any other kind of payment) really wasn't logically consistent. 

The athletes were never like kids in a sweatshop and NFL players making millions are not like slave labor "because that's not even enough money." Literally nobody has said either of those things in this thread - it's just you saying it due to not having understood the premise.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

I can tell you're still not understanding. I repeat: his point was not to actually have anybody reflect on how college football players are like people in sweatshops.

That poster could have used any other worker type but specifically chose child sweatshops.  If he didn’t want people to ridicule the post like @BigRedBuster is rightfully doing, he should have used a better example.    

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

That poster could have used any other worker type but specifically chose child sweatshops.  If he didn’t want people to ridicule the post like @BigRedBuster is rightfully doing, he should have used a better example.    

Oop, we have somebody else that's struggling with reading comprehension.

I can copy & paste my last few posts for you if it would help.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Oop, we have somebody else that's struggling with reading comprehension.

I can copy & paste my last few posts for you if it would help.

If someone doesn’t want a post ridiculed because of having sweatshops and college athletes in the same scenario then don’t use a ridiculous example.   It’s not hard to comprehend that:dunno

copy and paste away if you like.   Maybe the sweatshops, college athletes, and  MLB pre-arbitration years baseball players can all

band together for better pay, since they aren’t paid what they are worth. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

copy and paste away if you like.   Maybe the sweatshops, college athletes, and  MLB pre-arbitration years baseball players can all

band together for better pay, since they aren’t paid what they are worth. 

I don't mind anybody trying to dunk on the sweatshops comment, specifically because I didn't make the comment originally.

The big thing I want to convey about NIL becoming reality is this:

NIL coming into existence was about getting rid of the rule that the NCAA had made that said the market can't decide (through whatever avenues) how and how much a player can make. Instituting NIL is less of an overt statement saying that college athletes "weren't being paid enough" as it is just admitting that the previous rule saying they can't make paper money (or any other kind of payment) really wasn't logically consistent. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You keep bringing up players and no one is disagreeing with them wanting more.  But the concept of creating a separate company from the school will be very very hard to do because it involves a company that will have hundreds of millions of dollars of valuation that the school can have absolutely zero association with unless you want Title IX lawyers getting involved.  

If the school can’t own it, then someone has to.   Which means that someone/‘s will have hundreds of millions of reason to milk some profits like some owners of professional teams do. 

Okay okay, I’ll own the LLC.

Problem solved :D

I will admit sweat shops was an unnecessarily extreme example, but yeah the point is just "getting paid" doesn't mean it's anywhere close to fair. College football is a sport that makes a lot of people a lot of money, and it takes unusual skill and involves significant risks to their health. I think it's totally reasonable for players to have a much larger slice of the pie, as much as I also enjoyed when players stuck with one program.

• Plus1 2