Ray O. Luh

12 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Totally two different styles of QBs. But no one would ever have more impact on this program than Tommie. No he wasn’t the only player, but he seemed to had led the Huskers back after TO teams started to falter some. Yes TO’s wins and loses were still very good but they had some blowout losses. Maybe — hoping he will  — when it’s all said and done, DR “hopefully” will have as much of an impact. But you never know for sure. But being a pocket passer compared to an option QB, it will be very difficult to ever say who would be better on the college level. However, until DR proves himself, I will go with Tommie.  

I dont know why this is even a conversation point on this board right now.  DR hasnt played a single snap- quite the limb you're going out on saying you'll take one of the greatest college qbs of all time over a 18 year old who hasnt played a down in college lol

I still consider this Raiola recruitment win a MUCH bigger story than Tommie Frazier's recruitment.  They were pretty similar in recruiting ranking stature (sites that go back that far indicate Frazier was the 3-5 ranked player).  

In one situation you had a program that was pretty much top 10 for 20 years straight and put together squads to make a title run.  A program that missed out on a couple titles (referencing the 80s).

In another situation you have a program that hasnt had a winning season in 7 years.  Have set seemingly every program record in futility, yet despite this, they get the #1 qb in the class and get him from the 2 time defending champ.  

Raiola win is insanely more impressive to me given how s#!t we've been.  The chances of him surpassing frazier, once he's played, is probably not very high.  But that doesn't mean the recruitment story (you know, the only thing we can actually base off fact at this time given DR hasnt even stepped foot on campus) isn't more impressive.

10 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Totally two different styles of QBs. But no one would ever have more impact on this program than Tommie. No he wasn’t the only player, but he seemed to had led the Huskers back after TO teams started to falter some. Yes TO’s wins and loses were still very good but they had some blowout losses. Maybe — hoping he will  — when it’s all said and done, DR “hopefully” will have as much of an impact. But you never know for sure. But being a pocket passer compared to an option QB, it will be very difficult to ever say who would be better on the college level. However, until DR proves himself, I will go with Tommie.  

The perspective of what constituted a blowout loss was vastly different back then.  

Raiola is very mobile. I think our fan base might not be understanding that when they read the words "#1 rated pocket passer in his class."

He's a mobile guy that can throw as well as any other high school QB in the country. Think Marcus Mariota at Oregon, but with maybe an even better arm. We literally couldn't get a better QB to run the modified zone read system that Rhule has.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
31 minutes ago, Undone said:

Raiola is very mobile. I think our fan base might not be understanding that when they read the words "#1 rated pocket passer in his class."

He's a mobile guy that can throw as well as any other high school QB in the country. Think Marcus Mariota at Oregon, but with maybe an even better arm. We literally couldn't get a better QB to run the modified zone read system that Rhule has.

Hes def mobile.  I dont think he has mariota's speed to just pull away from the defense but definitely can run it, if needed.

Given our up and down line play, we really could use a guy with a cannon, who throws a phenomenal deep ball, with touch/catchable ball at all levels of the field... paired with great footwork fundamentals and a pocket presence/IQ to evade pressure, if needed.  Its gonna be a fun 3-4 years 

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Hes def mobile.  I dont think he has mariota's speed to just pull away from the defense but definitely can run it, if needed.

Given our up and down line play, we really could use a guy with a cannon, who throws a phenomenal deep ball, with touch/catchable ball at all levels of the field... paired with great footwork fundamentals and a pocket presence/IQ to evade pressure, if needed.  Its gonna be a fun 3-4 years 

They have similar 40 times...

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

I absolutely agree that Raiola is a lot more mobile than he gets credit for, but I don’t know about the Mariota comparison. MM was a legit 4.4 guy and I’m not sure DR is as dynamic running the football as MM was. But DR has a considerably stronger arm and is miles ahead of where MM was coming out of high school as a polished passer.

I could be wrong but I don’t see us running much zone read with DR besides maybe a situational wrinkle here and there. I see a lot more RPO stuff in our future with DR’s elite awareness and decision making. I view his style of play much more of a Mahomes or Rodgers where he wants to sit in the pocket and sling it, and then if no one’s open he can frustrate the hell out of a defense by slipping out and picking up a first down with his legs. I think he’s got sneaky speed. 

43 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I could be wrong but I don’t see us running much zone read with DR besides maybe a situational wrinkle here and there. I see a lot more RPO stuff in our future with DR’s elite awareness and decision making.

Totally hoping this is accurate. It's what I'd expect, but you don't really know with Satterfield.

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

Totally hoping this is accurate. It's what I'd expect, but you don't really know with Satterfield.

That’s a fair point. I gave Satt a pass last year but now there’s no excuse. I haven’t been as critical on him as some other fans I know, but he hasn’t done anything to wow me either. 

• Haha 1