Thunderin' Bolts @ Grand Canyon University

Finish weekend 3-1, which is huge weekend! Need to get things in the pen figured out, bats were alive !!  Looked like no love lost between these two teams.  Huskers warned Friday, GC warned Sat after their pitcher absolutely went goofy after he got out of jam, teams had to be separated after game last night, and then a lot of stare downs after game today

8 minutes ago, HANC said:

Finish weekend 3-1, which is huge weekend! Need to get things in the pen figured out, bats were alive !!  Looked like no love lost between these two teams.  Huskers warned Friday, GC warned Sat after their pitcher absolutely went goofy after he got out of jam, teams had to be separated after game last night, and then a lot of stare downs after game today

The thing about Friday though was all Brett Sears was doing was pumping his fist and shouting at his teammates. Didn't really try to show up GCU at all, and the umpire saw fit to lecture him, whereas they were just screaming straight at Nebraska's dugout and players on the field yesterday and today. Kyle Perry finally gave it back to them directly after the final out today, although I would prefer he not do that.

59 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

'Skers get 2 in the top 8th off of a passed ball and then some nifty base running/taking advantage of the pitcher not paying attention/poor throw home to steal home.

GCU in the bottom 8th has one on 2nd with one out.

Edit:

Runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs after a strike out and a HBP. 'Skers changing pitchers.

I guess this is how you manufacture a couple of runs:

16 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

The thing about Friday though was all Brett Sears was doing was pumping his fist and shouting at his teammates. Didn't really try to show up GCU at all, and the umpire saw fit to lecture him, whereas they were just screaming straight at Nebraska's dugout and players on the field yesterday and today. Kyle Perry finally gave it back to them directly after the final out today, although I would prefer he not do that.

Agree!! Sears never looked at their players. I really thought it may get ugly after KP gave it to the guy.

29 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Huge props to Jalen Worthley today. Spun 3 beautiful innings after a really tough outing last weekend.

He's a freshman with a 3.0 era... I like that :)

Personally, my pitcher of the weekend vote would go to Drew Christo.. (I know you didn't say Jalen was the pitcher of the week)

My personal opinion (worth less than a bag of peanuts) is GCU managed to rattle us yesterday and today. That can't happen again so it might be a good thing they did. I think winning 3 at their complex says something. Indiana and Nebraska have played solid competition and have won. Penn State looks good with what they did to Stanford but I also think Stanford is down. They play a 4 game series against davidson next week followed by a midweek game against virginia so we'll know soon enough how good Penn State is. The B1G is lacking in pitching. Might be early arm syndrome but the pitching is way down.

Gotta say my 4 best in B1G:

Indiana 1 (they look like a host team right now)

Nebraska 2 (had the Huskers won one of the tech/OU games they too would look like a host team after winning 3 this weekend)

Penn State 3

Purdue 4 (Rutgers is interchangeable with them)

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Personally, my pitcher of the weekend vote would go to Drew Christo.. (I know you didn't say Jalen was the pitcher of the week)

My personal opinion (worth less than a bag of peanuts) is GCU managed to rattle us yesterday and today. That can't happen again so it might be a good thing they did. I think winning 3 at their complex says something. Indiana and Nebraska have played solid competition and have won. Penn State looks good with what they did to Stanford but I also think Stanford is down. They play a 4 game series against davidson next week followed by a midweek game against virginia so we'll know soon enough how good Penn State is. The B1G is lacking in pitching. Might be early arm syndrome but the pitching is way down.

Nebraska 2 (had the Huskers won one of the tech/OU games they too would look like a host team after winning 3 this weekend)

Penn State 3

I may push back a little on Christo. Sears had a better stat line across the board… both went 6… Christo 7 hits, Sears 2… Christo 1 run , Sears 0…. Christo 4 k, Sears 7…. Both gave up 1 walk

granted, it was Christo’s  first start of the year.  Nice to debate over two quality starts. Hopefully both can continue to put up solid numbers!!

I still think Iowa may end up making a lot of noise, but I like what I have seen from our guys for the most part.

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

I may push back a little on Christo. Sears had a better stat line across the board… both went 6… Christo 7 hits, Sears 2… Christo 1 run , Sears 0…. Christo 4 k, Sears 7…. Both gave up 1 walk

granted, it was Christo’s  first start of the year.  Nice to debate over two quality starts. Hopefully both can continue to put up solid numbers!!

I still think Iowa may end up making a lot of noise, but I like what I have seen from our guys for the most part.

They both pitched great, but Christo exceeded expectations, helped set the tone for the weekend, and saved the bullpen on the front end of the series. 

Overall a great weekend!

• TBH 1
4 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

They both pitched great, but Christo exceeded expectations, helped set the tone for the weekend, and saved the bullpen on the front end of the series. 

Overall a great weekend!

Very fair assessment! I only had a slight push back, but yes, Christo coming off of an iffy performance last weekend in relief really bounced back.  Saving the pen on Thursday and Friday (only 1 guy out of pen on Friday) was really big!! 

On 2/25/2024 at 4:51 PM, Loebarth said:

Penn State 3

Worthley pitched last year. After his rough go last week, a few people on fb/x/etc. were sh***ing all over him saying he sucked last year and should never pitch again, even though he had some spots where he looked like he had a lot of potential that just needed some experience. I know fans overreact (myself included) but the hate was weird.

But yeah I'd give Christo the nod too because the guy was limited due to some kind of injury or something, so they're not cutting him all the way loose it sounds like. He made a case for a weekend spot with Walsh and Clark being a little less effective this series. The Charleston series should tell us a lot.

• Plus1 2