NFL 2024

So, I’m trying to figure out how some of these tackles should have been made. 

f they go in head first, they risk..inadvertently, having a penalty even when they don’t mean to. 

So, thus is a tackle that takes the head totally out of it. And, if you’re sacking the QB, you can’t land on him either. So, defenders will go to the side pulling him down. Now, that might get flagged for this. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I presume they want the defender to stay on his feet until he can push the ball carrier down or backwards.

I'm not sure it's all that hard to change (other than being in the habit of doing it the way that is now outlawed).  But it's a lot harder to get someone down when contacting them from the side or behind.  So it will be a lot more yards after contact.

• TBH 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow. I had to learn what that even was. 

Sherman and RG3 are crying lmbo...  So defensive about it too.

Well if they learned the dangerous hip-drop technique, which can cause serious injury, maybe they can learn how to tackle without it?  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

f they go in head first, they risk..inadvertently, having a penalty even when they don’t mean to. 

So, thus is a tackle that takes the head totally out of it. And, if you’re sacking the QB, you can’t land on him either. So, defenders will go to the side pulling him down. Now, that might get flagged for this. 

The hip-drop technique applies heavy weight with brutal force to bring someone down.

Just think about holding on a rope above your head, and someone grabs you by the waist and uses all his weight and power to jerk you down by the hip.  Of course you will drop with him and go down.  And hopefully avoid injury, but it's not promised.

As you can see in that one video alone of all the times it happens, it's a technique and a shady way to bring someone down.  I have never liked that hip-drop tackle.  Just like I never liked safeties or DBs launching their helmet at a receiver to knock him down.  

Just teach and learn how to tackle.  Gang tackle used to be a thing.  If a RB or QB or TE or WR breaks your attempt to tackle without the hip-drop, it's because they are pretty good in open field. The hip-drop is used to scare them to death by pulling them down with all their weight and extreme force.  It's ridiculous.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...