2024 Spring Practice Notes - Receivers and Tight Ends

I think it will be interesting to see how much improvement the WR group makes because they have what looks to be competent QB’s getting them the ball on time or when open.  A great WR group can make a QB look good, but it also works on reverse to where a great QB can make WR’s look better.  

Here’s to hoping both groups are top shelf and they feed off each other towards greatness!

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think it will be interesting to see how much improvement the WR group makes because they have what looks to be competent QB’s getting them the ball on time or when open.  A great WR group can make a QB look good, but it also works on reverse to where a great QB can make WR’s look better.  

Here’s to hoping both groups are top shelf and they feed off each other towards greatness!

Yep....and a bad QB can make the WR group look pedestrian at best.

• TBH 1

22 hours ago, Mavric said:

This will be the story at some point. If you parse together the videos yesterday from the OCs and QBs it's very apparent a lot of emphasis is being spent on RPOs and the quick game. At one point Raiola made mention of explosive plays and when a reporter followed that up assuming he was talking about deep balls he elaborated that he was referring to turning 5s into 25s.

This offense sounds like it will use the short passing game and running game to control the safeties and then take calculated shots with the play action game. Not only with WRs but a myriad of TE looks, too.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
8 hours ago, brophog said:

This will be the story at some point. If you parse together the videos yesterday from the OCs and QBs it's very apparent a lot of emphasis is being spent on RPOs and the quick game. At one point Raiola made mention of explosive plays and when a reporter followed that up assuming he was talking about deep balls he elaborated that he was referring to turning 5s into 25s.

This offense sounds like it will use the short passing game and running game to control the safeties and then take calculated shots with the play action game. Not only with WRs but a myriad of TE looks, too.

Sounds good to me. 

I would imagine this offense will be very conservative with a lot of window dressing.

They will have to start the season that way just to get the new QB's comfortable.  One of the reasons why I hope they treat the spring game as close to a real game as possible.  

• Plus1 1
On 4/6/2024 at 7:06 AM, teachercd said:

I would imagine this offense will be very conservative with a lot of window dressing.

They will have to start the season that way just to get the new QB's comfortable.  One of the reasons why I hope they treat the spring game as close to a real game as possible.  

I seem to remember a comment from TO about his offense.  Limited number of plays from a multitude of formations and looks (window dressing).

10 minutes ago, lo country said:

I seem to remember a comment from TO about his offense.  Limited number of plays from a multitude of formations and looks (window dressing).

One of my first coaching gigs was at a school where we did just that...We would have 10-12 formations for one play.  It was awesome. 

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, lo country said:

Even for the time his numbering system was very simple. Back/Hole/Action where every back had a number, every gap had a number, and the action was play type, i.e. dive, iso, trap, option, etc. So the whole play would be that preceded by the formation and then could tag it with a motion call or an alternate blocking call or whatever they needed.

Believe it or not, early Air Raid was the same sorta thing. The idea is that it makes it seem simple for your guys, more complex for the other team, and then you just rep the snot out of everything until you got it perfected.

• Oh Yeah! 1
13 hours ago, teachercd said:

One of my first coaching gigs was at a school where we did just that...We would have 10-12 formations for one play.  It was awesome. 

The first year I was a DC we played a school who had a bunch of formations and would shift and all that stuff before snap but they always ran certain plays out of certain formations.  Man we killed them.  They didn't get a first down.  Felt like cheating because we drilled it and all my guys knew the play as soon as all the motions were done.  

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The first year I was a DC we played a school who had a bunch of formations and would shift and all that stuff before snap but they always ran certain plays out of certain formations.  Man we killed them.  They didn't get a first down.  Felt like cheating because we drilled it and all my guys knew the play as soon as all the motions were done.  

Yeah!  I have seen that before!  Formations for the sake of formations!  

You probably beat us!  Haha

• Plus1 1