Thunderin' Bolts @ Rutgers

1, 2, 3 top of the 2nd.. Rutgers only threw 8 pitches. Sticks looking ugly again though they at least are hitting the ball. Eventually balls will start getting thru or so we hope.

On to the Bottom Half

1 & 2 out, then a hit followed by a hit batter...

strike 3 looking with runners on 1st and 2nd.. huge pitch.. on to the 3rd.

Box Score: 0-0 NU 1 hit, Rutgers 2 hits pitch count 30 NU and 34 Rutgers

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

It's not pitching. Occasionally pitchers will get squeezed. It's the sticks and there's no denying it. We saw against Creighton, against Kansas, against Wichita St, Northwestern and yes, Ohio State. If the opposing pitchers throw sliders and change ups our hitters will struggle all day long. That's coaching. That shows me they put them in front of a machine rather than live hitting against off speed pitchers. Rutgers again will score 7+ runs today, Nebraska better figure out a way of matching that or they'll get swept. I said it weeks ago, Nebraska is not a regional host team at this point. Heck, if the B1G tournament started next weekend not a single person on this board would expect Nebraska to win it. I'm willing to say most wouldn't expect to see Nebraska in championship game. 

I mean .... you point out nine games.  Those include games where we scored 8, 9, 8, 7 and 11 runs.  

I'm not saying we couldn't be better overall.  But we're averaging 8.6 runs per game in over half the games you use as examples of lack of batting production.  

That seems to strain credibility.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... you point out nine games.  Those include games where we scored 8, 9, 8, 7 and 11 runs.  

I'm not saying we couldn't be better overall.  But we're averaging 8.6 runs per game in over half the games you use as examples of lack of batting production.  

That seems to strain credibility.

Stains credibility.. you don't know baseball then. Every one of those were weather games favoring the offense and the only games we actually did "just" enough offensively to win were the northwestern games and it's not a stretch to say we got lucky winning that series. When you're bats aren't keeping up its a problem and Nebraska's bats aren't keeping up. The majority of scoring by nebraska has been via manufacturing runs. They just scored and it wasn't by the sticks but a wild pitch. They put a crooked number up with 2 hits and 3 free base runners. 

• Haha 1

3 free bases and finally a hit to clear the runners... 3 runs in (all free bases), runner (cole evans) on first, 1 out. Rutgers pitcher at 57 pitches

Evans steals 2nd, Sanderson hits the left field bomb. 5-0 good guys!! Need more... 

Caron Pops out to 3rd

Swanson at the plate.. Good defense by Rutgers, flyout to mid-center...

Rutgers pitcher at 66 total pitches, McConnaughey at 30 bottom of 3rd

1, 2, 3 inning for Mc and currently at 39 total pitches.

Have a day MM! Just watch the doctor order. An absolute  gem against the best offensive team in the conference, whom we could not seem to get out yesterday. Career high and strikeouts, and they shut out after seven.

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

@Mavric - Let's see if they can put 2 games together before you passive aggressively call some out. 1 game with 9 free runners given up by Rutgers pitching and defense.

You have been critical of our hitting when we are 79th in the country.  We are a winter school, so we have a disadvantage as we do not get to practice live pitching early in the season.  We have strong starters, but are relief pitching is our biggest issue.

31 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You have been critical of our hitting when we are 79th in the country.  We are a winter school, so we have a disadvantage as we do not get to practice live pitching early in the season.  We have strong starters, but are relief pitching is our biggest issue.

The bullpen has carried us on non Sears days early in the year. Every pen will lose a game or two, but if you take the top 5 guys, they have carried us at times.