I am very impressed with...

I want to see more of Mo. He is too good not to be on the field more. I agree with the poster who said use him in the red zone. Make the little db's guard him down there and get murdered.

Nice observation. He definitely needs more reps. The kid can flat-out play. It'd be nice to see how he stacks up on a play where it is basically a 'jump ball' situation. He should perform well with his height, but don't think it has come up yet.

Mo Purify made a great contribution, but so did at least 3 others:

Franz Hardy - the long TD passes

T Nunn - some really clutch passes

Nate Swift caught just 2 passes (the only 2 thrown to him I think) - but both were HUGE - the 2 point conversion which ensured the OT situation and the 21 yd gain in OT which set up the winning TD. Last yeat Swift emerged as the most dependable WR, but this year he is middle-of-the-pack.

The passing game saved the game & gave us the win. But I'm curious....

1) Why so few passes to our TE? No catches by Herian. Last year we kept hearing how we needed good TE's to make our passing game complete. Yet, they really didn't participate in the KU game.

2) When will someone become the "go to guy"? Most great passing teams have an outstanding receiver and lots of support people. We have lots of support people and no one who has become the "leader".

3) Is it our strategy to eliminate any receiver who is a leader? (Same with running back).

I think you'll see fewer and fewer passes to the Tight ends as this offense evolves. The TE's are seldom the primary reciever except on 3rd and short. Most often the QB checks down to the TE after he sees that the wideouts are covered. As we play tougher secondaries they may come back into play more however the wideouts will continue to be the featured recievers in this offense IMO.

Mo Purify made a great contribution, but so did at least 3 others:

Franz Hardy - the long TD passes

T Nunn - some really clutch passes

Nate Swift caught just 2 passes (the only 2 thrown to him I think) - but both were HUGE - the 2 point conversion which ensured the OT situation and the 21 yd gain in OT which set up the winning TD. Last yeat Swift emerged as the most dependable WR, but this year he is middle-of-the-pack.

The passing game saved the game & gave us the win. But I'm curious....

1) Why so few passes to our TE? No catches by Herian. Last year we kept hearing how we needed good TE's to make our passing game complete. Yet, they really didn't participate in the KU game.

2) When will someone become the "go to guy"? Most great passing teams have an outstanding receiver and lots of support people. We have lots of support people and no one who has become the "leader".

3) Is it our strategy to eliminate any receiver who is a leader? (Same with running back).

I think you'll see fewer and fewer passes to the Tight ends as this offense evolves. The TE's are seldom the primary reciever except on 3rd and short. Most often the QB checks down to the TE after he sees that the wideouts are covered. As we play tougher secondaries they may come back into play more however the wideouts will continue to be the featured recievers in this offense IMO.

It's possible, however, that if defenses start really clamping down on the wideouts that the tight ends become the primary receiver(s). I think, given the formations and check downs, what determines the primary in a lot of plays is what appears to be open when the quarterback makes his pre-snap reads. If teams start shading linebackers to help the corners, the middle opens up and the tight end becomes the first option.

I think he will make a big impact on our offense throughout the Big 12 play.

Is it me or does Purify remind you of a young Dave Boston? Remember the big ole WR from the Buckeyes? Boston had the size, speed, and soft hands. Anyways seeing Purify out there, sure reminded me a lot of Boston.

boston_david.jpg

Not quite as big as Boston. Boston had 20 lbs on him when he was in college. Also he looks faster and has better hands. The guy at Mich is who he reminds me of. No 86. (can't think of his name right now).

I was in a debate last week with some fans on another board last week that claims he shouldn't get all the snaps because they felt he wasn't a good blocker. I was like "He ain't playing offensive tackle and we don't run the option anymore!". Important but not important enough to hold down his P.T. IMO.

I really like how the receiving corp, including TE's are rounding out as a whole. Unlike last year, I think this year we could truly run a WCO type pass offense. I.e. if the running game is stuffed, we have the talent at both the receiver position and the TE position to use short-passing game with a few short passes (count them three last game) turning into huge gainers.

I'd like to see trips with Nunn, Swift & MoPo consistently. I have confidence in them. Franz is good for the deep threat, not so much as the possession guy. We still have Meno and Henry waiting in the wings too. It's a good group that can always get better with time and experience.

:woo

Per the weekly films at Holy Ghost last week before the KU game..... Look for Purify to become a larger part of the NU O the rest of the way out. pre KU he was getting in on 15 or so snaps a game. look for that to double the rest of the way out, he is ready, he is a weapon that many B12 teams will struggle with. There are several plays designed to feature him and he will be getting more looks the rest of the way out.

BTW - my first post here. Look forward to talking all topics NU with all of you.

Per the weekly films at Holy Ghost last week before the KU game..... Look for Purify to become a larger part of the NU O the rest of the way out. pre KU he was getting in on 15 or so snaps a game. look for that to double the rest of the way out, he is ready, he is a weapon that many B12 teams will struggle with. There are several plays designed to feature him and he will be getting more looks the rest of the way out.

BTW - my first post here. Look forward to talking all topics NU with all of you.

Sweet. Great to have you.

Yeah, Purify sees the field more and more each week. About half his catches on the season came against Kansas. He's been great over the middle using his speed and body to seperate himself and get some YAC throughout the season, but in the last game started running some more routes and making different catches. I can't wait to see us use this guy in the redzone! Let his big body just go up and pull down everything. I think once we play a team with some smaller DBs soon we will see that and I think the coaches have enough confidence to just keep adding plays to Mo's play.

Sweet. Great to have you.

Thanks DaveH!! thanks to HonoluluHusker as well. having fun getting this stuff set up. liked the intro thread also.