Anyone else getting tired of being polite?

Of course all of us Nebraska fans try to live up to being the greatest fans in the nation. But I'm not talking about just the fans...I'm talking about the players and coaches. And I'm not talking about being polite as a human being...I mean politeness in rivalry

When was the last time you heard a coach say "We're gonna win this weekend!" to the media?

When was the last time you heard a player say "I guarantee a win" without getting people on both sides of the teams asking for his head.

When Andre Jones promised a win against USC the media had a hay day with it. Fans from Nebraska, USC and other I-A schools all said the guy should be reprimanded for saying such things. It's almost like players are not allowed to show their confidence outside the locker room or off the field anymore. Players like Josh Freeman say each week "To me, it's just another team. You try to go out and prepare the best you can."

Are you telling me that that each player thinks of each team the same way? You know that's not true. Freeman is going to want to prove himself against Nebraska and show that he's not a prima donna. Nebraska players wanted to go into USC and kick ass because it was USC....not because it was just another game to them.

I can pretty much recite word for word to you what each coach/player is going to say every week when the media asks them, "So what do you think about the upcoming game this weekend against team X?"

"Well, team X is a great team with some real talented players. You saw how close game #Y was against so-and-so. Our players are just going to have to go out there and play their best if they want to win the game."

You don't hear a coach go, "KState? Hahaha, this should be an easy game."

It's such a cookie cutter response that it's getting almost as bad as ABC/ESPN/FSN's or whoever's, "coaches key points to winning the game" (which are lame in their own right).

Everyone walks on egg shells so as not to harm anyone's feelings. But we're all forgetting each game is a competition and there's going to be a loser at the end of it. People need to get psyched up to play. I don't care if players from Ohio State are talking smack to the media about playing CU. I don't care if USC had talked smack about playing Nebraska. It should be part of the game! Talk smack, back...get your confidence up.

Okay :rant:)

I actually agree with you. It gets very old hearing the same old stuff over and over again from coaches and from sports analysts.

Like you said, when coaches are asked about another team, all you hear is political crap.

When coaches are asked about players, or about how the game went, you hear political crap.

What makes college football so great is the EMOTION from these kids, and I personally like having my coaches the same way.

I enjoyed it when Pelini took away blackshirts from players, when he yelled at officials, and when he yelled at other coaches.

:bonez

You don't hear a coach go, "KState? Hahaha, this should be an easy game."

It's such a cookie cutter response that it's getting almost as bad as ABC/ESPN/FSN's or whoever's, "coaches key points to winning the game" (which are lame in their own right).

I see what you're saying. I get tired of hearing "resiliency, physicality" and other watered down crap that doesnt tell me anything.

Now if a coach should ever come out and say what you kind of threw out there, he better have the balls to admitt when they got thumped and take the loss like a man as well. Otherwise he sounds more like a homer than a general.

On the flip flop, what should he say after they win? "Hell yeah they deserved to die and I hope they burn hell". ;)

Personally, I prefer they keep the trash talk internally and just play the media game.

Yeah, I wish Coach Callahan and the rest of the coaching staff were more fired up publicly. I would love to see more emotion when they talk to the media, etc. I'm pleased with Callahan over all, but sometimes he seems like a spin doctor in his news conferences; always giving the correct answer instead of saying what he really feels.

College football is all about the emotion, tradition, etc. Callahan treats it more like a business, like the NFL.

Fans aren't this passionate in the NFL.

I dont think you can ever act with too much class and composure.Like Osborne used to say about celebratinf touchdowns 'act like you've been there before'.

Also, in regard to being cocky or bragadocious, if you have to be the one to say something about yourself, it's probably not true.The Broderick Thomas type guys that have played for the Big Red over the years, have always been a turnoff to me.I want the talking to come from the play on the field.A personality like Cory McCeon has, I can live with and laugh at because he is goofy, but respectful of the other team.

A coaches responsability to do and say the right thing goes up exponentially. The f..n hillbillies comment from a couple years ago, I felt said more about BC at that time then it did about the OU fans who were probably in the wrong. I think BC has grown up as a coach since then. The Pelini/Snyder incident from a couple years ago was low class on Pelini's part in my oppinion.He was a loose cannon waiting to go off.

Well I will help you out here Benny!!!! ;)

WE ARE GOING TO TAKE IT TO K-STATE THIS WEEKEND AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO LET UP!!!! WE ARE GOING TO RUN THE BALL DOWN THEIR THROATS FOR FOUR QUARTERS AND PASS ALL OVER THEM. WE WILL SHOW K-STATE WHAT RESTORING THE ORDER MEANS AND STOP THE PLAGUE THAT IS US LOSING IN MANHATTAN FOR 10 STRAIGHT YEARS!!!! WE WILL SHOW THE NATION WHAT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT IT'S ABOUT A WINNING TRADITION WITH THE GREATEST FANS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL........IF YOU DON'T THINK SO THEN WE CHALLENGE YOU TO COME TO A GAME AT LINCOLN AND SEE WHAT ELECTRICITY IS ALL ABOUT!!!!! ONCE YOU LEAVE YOU WILL SEE WHAT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL IS ABOUT AND DEEP INSIDE OF YOU A SMALL SMILE MAY COME OUT NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE NEBRASKA FOOTBALL BECAUSE OUR LOYALTY CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!!!! :bonez:restore

Of course I'm confident about this weekend, but anything can happen so we'll just have to do our talking out on the field........... :thumbs

Yeah, I wish Coach Callahan and the rest of the coaching staff were more fired up publicly. I would love to see more emotion when they talk to the media, etc. I'm pleased with Callahan over all, but sometimes he seems like a spin doctor in his news conferences; always giving the correct answer instead of saying what he really feels.

College football is all about the emotion, tradition, etc. Callahan treats it more like a business, like the NFL.

Fans aren't this passionate in the NFL.

Every time Callahan has fired out with any sort of emotion he has taken nonstop heat from the media and fans of the like. I am sure it is like walking on egg-shells. I could care less what the media thinks of him as being bland and boring, everyone thought that of Osborne. I know Callahan is a fiery guy and that on the sidelines and in practice, him and his coaches have the guys ready to play. Callahan treats this very business-like because college football is a business with goals. Win the game. Win the division. Win the conference. You need to have a head coach that is good at motivating the players, enthusiastic about what he does and is able to sell the program to recruit players and keep alumni happy. Callahan has embraced the tradition here and knows the history of our school, opponents and rivalries. In some people's eyes, he will never do the right thing no matter what he does and that is their choice.

I love that "KState? This should be an easy game" That is brilliant. But it does get old, and Callahan even knows it. Just look at the conference yesterday when someone asked him about Freeman he said something like, "they are a good team and I respect them. There is some more coach speak for you." It does get annoying hearing them talk about Nicholls State like they are the 95 Huskers with their "great option" and "great players". McKeon is the only guy who ever really says what he believes, but he has fun with it, so people don't think he is serious all the time.

It does get annoying hearing them talk about Nicholls State like they are the 95 Huskers with their "great option" and "great players".

Exactly my point! It's almost an even worse an insult because you say "they have a great option and great players," and in your head you're saying "but they still have no chance...they're why we call them cupcake games."

And if it's too harsh, let Nicholls State, Troy State, USC, Texas, Baylor, CU...let all of them talk smack on us too. It's college football season baby!!! 'Cause none of the smack, none of the hurt feelings really matters when the game is played on the field.

Well I will help you out here Benny!!!!

WE ARE GOING TO TAKE IT TO K-STATE THIS WEEKEND AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO LET UP!!!! WE ARE GOING TO RUN THE BALL DOWN THEIR THROATS FOR FOUR QUARTERS AND PASS ALL OVER THEM. WE WILL SHOW K-STATE WHAT RESTORING THE ORDER MEANS AND STOP THE PLAGUE THAT IS US LOSING IN MANHATTAN FOR 10 STRAIGHT YEARS!!!! WE WILL SHOW THE NATION WHAT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT IT'S ABOUT A WINNING TRADITION WITH THE GREATEST FANS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL........IF YOU DON'T THINK SO THEN WE CHALLENGE YOU TO COME TO A GAME AT LINCOLN AND SEE WHAT ELECTRICITY IS ALL ABOUT!!!!! ONCE YOU LEAVE YOU WILL SEE WHAT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL IS ABOUT AND DEEP INSIDE OF YOU A SMALL SMILE MAY COME OUT NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE NEBRASKA FOOTBALL BECAUSE OUR LOYALTY CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!!!!

:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

You are so right, and why should we be so polite as fans? Ok I have a new leaf on life:

Are you ready.

I think all fans who don't cheer for the Huskers are a bunch of idiots, morons, dumb asses, dingle berries, retards, slime balls, low lifes. You totally suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't deserve to live!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get run over by a truck!!!!!! I hope your wife leaves you for another man -- actually that may not be a bad thing for some. You should had never been born on this earth!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm just kidding. :lol: