Scary Month of October

Fife

At the beginning of the season, many analysts, fans, etc. pointed to October. They said that however good/bad the Huskers do in this month will define our season. So far we have done well this month and I think in the Texas game we have a legitimate chance of winning and to me the Oklahoma St. game should be nearly a given. If we win the Texas game we will likely have a 4-0 record in October after many thought we would do no better than 3-1 in this month.

What does our success in this month tell us more about the team? That our gameplans aren't as bad as the fans like to say they are or that the team and overall talent is better than people thought?

Even though KU was in September it was at the end of September (practically October), and that was close but still a W. Same with ISU, if we didn't have good calls, the score could have been alot closer. KSU was a given, but if we win Saturday (wich I'm quite postitive we will) the only speedbump I can see in our future could be Missoura.

I think that we have learned alot about our team in the past three weeks. We saw them bounce back after a terrible showing for three quarters against Kansas. They showed in the Kansas game that they would not buckle under pressure and they found a way to win with their backs against the wall. They then went on the road and played a team that has what could of been a very scary offense and pretty much kept them contained. Followed up by a very impressive defensive effort against KSU. A 3-0 start to conference play along with two straight road wins against teams that we have had trouble with at their place in the past. A win against Texas may give this team a little swagger as they play out the rest of the season.

You know how tough Texas will be, even at your house. Missouri I think is overrated given their performance at Texas A&M and you have them at home which will make it easier although I realize that game is in November. I think Oklahoma State might be a sleeper and you have to go there to play them. I would certainly not overlook that game. They tend to play very well at home when the conference elite come to town. Just ask Texas last year. They were getting whipped at halftime before the Oklahoma State defense just wore out in the second half. You also have the real possibility of a let down after the Texas game, especially if you win. I think the let down is more of a problem when a team wins a huge game than when they loose.

I know it's in November but you have the same challenge at Texas A&M. They protect their home turf very very well and playing in Kyle is always really tough for the visitor because it is so loud, especially down at the huge enclosed endzone.