Remember when Tom O learned pass defense

All this talk of average coaches, and players, and trouble with pass defense bring to mind the early 80s.

Word has it that Tom O and his staff were perplexed on how to stop predominantly passing teams. Bobby Bowden was perplexed on how to develop a running game. They exchanged coaches, we taught them the running game, they taught us pass defense. Huskers brought in sprinters for safeties, moved safeties to corner and corners to linebacker to increase overall defense speed. It worked then, for both teams. The results are in the history books.

Maybe BC and his boys need to go back to school?

Just a thought.

:bonez

All this talk of average coaches, and players, and trouble with pass defense bring to mind the early 80s.

Word has it that Tom O and his staff were perplexed on how to stop predominantly passing teams. Bobby Bowden was perplexed on how to develop a running game. They exchanged coaches, we taught them the running game, they taught us pass defense. Huskers brought in sprinters for safeties, moved safeties to corner and corners to linebacker to increase overall defense speed. It worked then, for both teams. The results are in the history books.

Just a thought.

Good point. I think that we have those types of players. we just dont have a scheme that works in my opinion frum the d-coordinator standpoint. I think you will see in the upcoming years that we do indeed have the types of players that can make plays. just not this year.

Just a thought.

Good point. I think that we have those types of players. we just dont have a scheme that works in my opinion frum the d-coordinator standpoint. I think you will see in the upcoming years that we do indeed have the types of players that can make plays. just not this year.

So which is it. First you say that we have those types of players (underlined). Then you say that we don't have those players this year.

Just a thought.

So which is it. First you say that we have those types of players (underlined). Then you say that we don't have those players this year.

The underlined states that we have the players.. sum of those players are not on the field

Just a thought.

how do we know they havent already done this? callahan has connections to one of the nfl's better defenses. are the coaches still learning how to employ what they have learned? its a good thought, i personally feel its already being done though, just that the information being shared is coming from nfl coaches rather than other college coaches. how many college coaches share information that they have learned? i honestly dont know but with the way college athletics is nowadays i think that the information shared is somewhat limited and coaches being very selective with who they share it with.

The underlined states that we have the players.. sum of those players are not on the field

and why arent these players on the field? sooner or later you have to take the training wheels off and let them fall down a couple times.

mike rucker was not on the 94 team. grant wistrom didn't even start in 94. nice

You missed my point. I was trying to sound like a jackass. Looks like I succeeded.

My main point was that it's not 94, 95 or even 97 anymore. No matter how much people want it to be or how much pleasure people get out of comparing every facet of recent husker teams to them, it's dumb, serve's no purpose other than fodder.

Moreoever, assuming those tactics will work in 2006 is fundamentally flawed. Your opponents week in and week out aren't your push overs like the Kansas's and the Iowa State's of the 90's were

Moreover again, the Nebraska coachs have been coaching for longer than some of us have been breathing. You ever hear any of em, especially Elmo, talk about defense. If you have a chance, get ready for an intense ride.

Coz definitely brings a different defense to the table, one focused on linebacker play. They are really the stars of this defense.

Am I saying it's good and awesome and is the best defense ever? No, I'm not saying that. My point is that most of the time we as fans oversimplify everything. "If only they did this instead of that, because I saw it from my couch." Never really bought into that.

mike rucker was not on the 94 team. grant wistrom didn't even start in 94. nice

You missed my point. I was trying to sound like a jackass. Looks like I succeeded.

My main point was that it's not 94, 95 or even 97 anymore. No matter how much people want it to be or how much pleasure people get out of comparing every facet of recent husker teams to them, it's dumb, serve's no purpose other than fodder.

Moreoever, assuming those tactics will work in 2006 is fundamentally flawed. Your opponents week in and week out aren't your push overs like the Kansas's and the Iowa State's of the 90's were

Moreover again, the Nebraska coachs have been coaching for longer than some of us have been breathing. You ever hear any of em, especially Elmo, talk about defense. If you have a chance, get ready for an intense ride.

Coz definitely brings a different defense to the table, one focused on linebacker play. They are really the stars of this defense.

Am I saying it's good and awesome and is the best defense ever? No, I'm not saying that. My point is that most of the time we as fans oversimplify everything. "If only they did this instead of that, because I saw it from my couch." Never really bought into that.

Totally agree I hate when people gauge there expectations on Teams that were some of the best in CFB history. I want these kids just to play their collective arses off every game with the talent we have now and with the coaches good things will happen.

I will admit that Elmissan had some chips stacked against him when he lost Bowman this year, but it will take a lot for me to gain back faith in him. I still question why he has been at 15 schools in around 30 years. Here is the list:

Nebraska

Purdue

Washington

Wisconsin

West Virginia

Boston College

Virginia Tech

Syracuse

Minnesota

East Carolina

William & Mary

Richmond

Ferrum College

Marshall

Virginia

Some may say he was just trying to climb the proverbial ladder of importance, but the skeptic in me questions how many of those schools he was asked to leave (and why). I just have not seen the dbacks improve this year (and I am taking into consideration that Bowman isn't playing). IMO, the exteremely week defensive secondary is why the LBs have been less productive and why our D seems to be off this year. I may be wrong though. What do you all think about how many schools he has been at?