OT Jon Lechner

Apparently the coaches saw some things that cooled them off.

The assumption upon which you are operating is that he went to Wisconsin because NU was disinterested. Is that a valid assumption? How do you know this. Is it not as likely, or more likely that the kid just thought Wisconsin was the better program (at least for him)?

You think that NU would rather have Zimmerer than Lechner? I find it hard to believe that NU did not want Lechner. They just did not compete well for him. If NU is willing to take recruits from in state that others were not interested in surely they would want the in-state players that were attractive to outsiders as well.

If we cannot convince the best players in the state to stay, well then..... we ar in (stating the obvious) bad shape.

A lot can go into this.

10-15 years ago, lechner probably would not have gotten an offer outside of Nebraska or its surrounding states because not many colleges would be exposed to him. With the way kids get hyped, the camps they attend, the film that gets sent, the internet.... times are changing in college football. Kids are selling themselves, and the more options nebraska kids get, the more times we are going to see them go elsewhere.

It seemed obvious that this staff slow played him a bit, wanting to see him in camp before offering which many times is the better way to go. But in this case it may have bit us in the arse... that is going to happen.

I also think some of us forget.... these guys are 17 or 18 years old... The last time we were a legitimate BCS contender these guys were awfully young. So maybe they have never had the same sense of pride that the older people have.

The assumption upon which you are operating is that he went to Wisconsin because NU was disinterested. Is that a valid assumption? How do you know this. Is it not as likely, or more likely that the kid just thought Wisconsin was the better program (at least for him)?

You think that NU would rather have Zimmerer than Lechner? I find it hard to believe that NU did not want Lechner. They just did not compete well for him. If NU is willing to take recruits from in state that others were not interested in surely they would want the in-state players that were attractive to outsiders as well.

If we cannot convince the best players in the state to stay, well then..... we ar in (stating the obvious) bad shape.

Your reading alot into one sentence.

I am saying that there had to be a reason our coaches didnt pursue him harder. Do I know what that reason is...

No.

Your reading alot into one sentence.

I am saying that there had to be a reason our coaches didnt pursue him harder. Do I know what that reason is...

No.

Wisconson was the first D1 program to offer him.....he is a better run blocker then he is at pass blocking.....Wisconson runs alot more than NU does now, and will probably in the future also.

the coaching staff wanted to wait until the saw him in person before they offered, so they were a little late in the recruiting game for him.

i hate to lose an in state kid, but at least he went to the Big 10 and not to Oklahoma or another Big 12 school

^

They said grades. But Lechner's grades did not suddenly change after a few days to make them completely re-think. Me thinks it is something else.

Wisc always has a strong OL, and they get all the studs out of MN and WI. All that milk they get up there grows some monsters. I'd say their home-bred big uglies tend to be good enough that they can fill up on them and lock them up because there is little chance for them to jump ship. They have 4 OL recruits listed already, and if I remember 3 are WI and 1 is MN. No reason to take a kid who may bounce for the huskers when you already have a pretty full class. Their commits are all in the 6'4" to 6'6" range and 265-310 so solid prospects.

^

They said grades. But Lechner's grades did not suddenly change after a few days to make them completely re-think. Me thinks it is something else.

Last I saw on the scout page he was going to re-take the ACT (2.2 and a 20 is barely eligible for NCAA). Maybe those scores came back and were not what was needed to make it (or to put the APR police at ease). Or maybe it's something else. :dunno

Anyway, Turner Gill (or even UNO) could always use his services.

^

Last I saw on the scout page he was going to re-take the ACT (2.2 and a 20 is barely eligible for NCAA). Maybe those scores came back and were not what was needed to make it (or to put the APR police at ease). Or maybe it's something else. :dunno

Anyway, Turner Gill (or even UNO) could always use his services.

Wisc is also a top-end academic institution (much harder than NU, trust me) and usually has higher standards of admission.