OT Jon Lechner

^

They said grades. But Lechner's grades did not suddenly change after a few days to make them completely re-think. Me thinks it is something else.

Last I saw on the scout page he was going to re-take the ACT (2.2 and a 20 is barely eligible for NCAA). Maybe those scores came back and were not what was needed to make it (or to put the APR police at ease). Or maybe it's something else. :dunno

Anyway, Turner Gill (or even UNO) could always use his services.

Wisc is also a top-end academic institution (much harder than NU, trust me) and usually has higher standards of admission.

Looks like Whisky has cooled on Lechner because of his grades/ACT. They may pull the offer and give it to someone else who can qualify.

in one of my summer classes his friend/coach told me that his scholly to wisc was pulled so he went back to nebraska and said he wanted to commit but they said they didnt want him so he is down to iowa and i think he said oklahoma.

Net rumor is that Lechner wasn't that impressive at camp,that there were a few guys outperforming him, including a guy in Davis that doesn't have an offer. I think if Wiscy was THAT high on him they may have had more faith in his ability to make grades(he would qualify at many schools already), they may have cooled on him a bit too. Of course they already have four commits and only one o-line slot left sothey can afford to be picky with that last one. I doubt Lechner gets an offer from big-time recruiter like OU if we aren't that big on him. My bet is he's Iowa-bound.

A post on the first page says we offered him in May. If he called wanting to commit, it would seem we withdrew the offer on the spot. Not that I know particularly much about recruiting, so maybe that's not how it worked...I am curious though. If we did offer and withdrew, when? If not, what happened?

A post on the first page says we offered him in May. If he called wanting to commit, it would seem we withdrew the offer on the spot. Not that I know particularly much about recruiting, so maybe that's not how it worked...I am curious though. If we did offer and withdrew, when? If not, what happened?

I think offers are withdrawn all the time as classes fill up. Though some coaches just don't answer a guy's phone calls rather than going to all the trouble of the uncomfortable conversation. Some players take the hint. Some not.

Why the hell would they do that?

I'm guessing they liked this guy and his chance to help on the field (and on the APR) better:

Wisconsin lands OL commitment

Posted: Friday June 27, 2008 07:38AM ET

Bret Bielema secured his fourth in-state commitment Thursday. Travis Frederick, a 6-foot-5, 310-pound offensive lineman from Walworth Big Foot, has given the University of Wisconsin football program an oral commitment, Big Foot coach Rodney Wedig said. Frederick, who carries a 4.1 grade-point average and ranks second in his class, had offers from Air Force, Navy and North Dakota State. Minnesota showed interest but had yet to extend an offer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just looking thru the other OT on Rivals can came across Lechner on there forgot all about this guy he is rated ahead of our other 2 OT prospects from the forum it looks like we cooled on him anyone ever figure out why?

I was wondering the same thing.... maybe grades are an issue? who knows!