Bring back the option....

Does anyone else miss it? Nebraska football is the option.

Yes. You know what else I miss? A snack and a nap after recess. That was the sh#t.

:yeah

But overall, I think defenses are a lot faster now then they were 10 years ago. So the option would really not work today. IMO

The defenses are way too fast for the option to be run....there is a reason why the option doesn't work in the NFL and the college game is too far off from that with speed....at least in the top programs.

And in 2001 the Huskers played for a national title, and that was only five years ago.

And what was the final score of that game??? Miami's speed killed us!!!!!!

Would the old option work? I don't know.

But as far as not getting the athletes, I think you should ask West Virginia. They run the modern version of the option, the "spread option".

They seem to be able to recruit pretty good players, and it ain't exactly the WCO.

Florida's version of the spread option passes more than the WV version, but it will be interesting to see what it is like with Tebow at the helm full-time.

As my learned friend 'skers said...you gotta have athletes.

I believe the key to the WCO (duh, as in any offense) is the the QB. A good QB will reap rewards no matter what the offense is. If Keller can't do it next year, I have faith in Ganz. That kid is a coach's dream.

I miss naps and snack time too...I teach high school, and there are toooo many days I need it!

But overall, I think defenses are a lot faster now then they were 10 years ago. So the option would really not work today. IMO

The defenses are way too fast for the option to be run....there is a reason why the option doesn't work in the NFL and the college game is too far off from that with speed....at least in the top programs.

And in 2001 the Huskers played for a national title, and that was only five years ago.

And what was the final score of that game??? Miami's speed killed us!!!!!!

The defenses were fast in `95 too. The whole reason the Huskers went to speed on defense was basically to emulate the Florida teams. Memories are too short here. There were fast guys in the `90's. Hell, some teams had several of them! :sarcasm The reason we lost the Rose Bowl was that the version of the option being run was a little less potent due to Solish's reliance on Crouch. The defensive speed can be nuetralized with play calling. That's why the counters and traps were such a vital part of TOs option attack. I would explain here how that worked but I'm tired of talking to all the "experts" about this subject.

Man whats with the hostility over a offensive scheme??

You know I miss the option, and prefer it. No I don't drive a 49 Chevy or take naps and have snack time I'm to busy coaching high school football and trying to crack the NAIA coaching ranks so I can get out of the fire service.

Yes when I played O-Line at USD Creehan ran the Wing-T and in HS we ran the option but none of them did what T.O.'s offense did. TO did a great job of establishing the fullback up the middle which keeps the interior DL and LB's honest. Solich was and still is an idiot and had no idea what he was doing.

When you run a midline, belly, power, counter, reverse, speed option that gives the D alot to think about it.

I think the greatest offensive mind in CFB history was TO and I try to learn from him.

Personally I don't think NU was an option team, we ran the option but only after setting up the defense.

Solich did not do that.

So the option is dead uh?? well don't tell WV, or wait Texas ran the option last year alot to win a NC.

Wake up the option doesn't have to be run under center, that shotgun triple/read option is very tough.

I'm not saying we need to go back to those days but have some basis to what you are arguing about.

The reason the top talent is turning away the chance to play at Nebraska is simple.......

Have you ever been to LA, Miami or down here in Austin in the winter??? Why would you leave Texas, Cali or Florida to play in Lincoln???

I'm not trying to be an A-Hole, just pointing out the fact that like many of my relatives back home (midwest), alot of people on here forget there are other places to live than Iowa and Nebraska, that have much nicer weather!

The reason the top talent is turning away the chance to play at Nebraska is simple.......

Have you ever been to LA, Miami or down here in Austin in the winter??? Why would you leave Texas, Cali or Florida to play in Lincoln???

I'm not trying to be an A-Hole, just pointing out the fact that like many of my relatives back home (midwest), alot of people on here forget there are other places to live than Iowa and Nebraska, that have much nicer weather!

I grew up in Omaha and have lived in Austin and Valencia (LA). Valencia was close enough to Malibu, Ventura and Santa Barbara to go to the beach every weekend. Austin's a nice town. I don't miss the brutal winters for sure. When I think it's too cold in Dallas I think of Omaha and it makes me feel better!

There are good reasons for a kid to play football for NU though maybe the weather isn't tops for most.

Anyone who doesn't want to live or go to school here because of the weather should probably just stay home. You have to deal with weather or natural phenomenon (wether it be cold, rain, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc, etc) where ever you go so if someone really uses that as a reason, I'd have to say they are pretty short sighted. If they have any aspirations of playing in the NFL, you have to go to places like Green Bay, Chicago or New England. Not exactly tropical paradises when it comes to weather.

We've been able to draw kids from Texas, California and Florida in the past, and we will continue to.

Personally in regard to nice weather, I would put it in the column of "nice to have", but not a deal breaker. There are these things called coats and what you do is wear them when you go outside in the cold. Problem solved. ;)

My main point is that weather shouldn't be a reason you don't go somewhere where you could be very successful at what you do. Marcel Jones is an example. He had offers from places like ASU. Why did he come to NU? He likes the small town atmosphere and how the players are treated.

Man whats with the hostility over a offensive scheme??

You know I miss the option, and prefer it. No I don't drive a 49 Chevy or take naps and have snack time I'm to busy coaching high school football and trying to crack the NAIA coaching ranks so I can get out of the fire service.

Yes when I played O-Line at USD Creehan ran the Wing-T and in HS we ran the option but none of them did what T.O.'s offense did. TO did a great job of establishing the fullback up the middle which keeps the interior DL and LB's honest. Solich was and still is an idiot and had no idea what he was doing.

When you run a midline, belly, power, counter, reverse, speed option that gives the D alot to think about it.

I think the greatest offensive mind in CFB history was TO and I try to learn from him.

Personally I don't think NU was an option team, we ran the option but only after setting up the defense.

Solich did not do that.

So the option is dead uh?? well don't tell WV, or wait Texas ran the option last year alot to win a NC.

Wake up the option doesn't have to be run under center, that shotgun triple/read option is very tough.

I'm not saying we need to go back to those days but have some basis to what you are arguing about.

Exactly!

I'm guessing that everyone in this thread who is making sarcastic "leather helmet" comments were just tickled pink when NU decided to ditch decades of tradition, drop NU alums from the coaching staff, and became Just Another College Football Team. Right? I Mean, you were cheering when you found out that we were getting rid of the option, right? Four legs bad, two legs good? Right? It's what you were saying all along?

I really don't care what offense we run, really, but I do miss a good option without a greedy QB. We just happened to have 2 very greedy QBs in a row, a coach who played the poorest RBs first, and made a few other mistakes. Solich killed the option by calling plays like he was a kid playing a video game... have a fast player, keep giving it to him, don't mix it up, don't give it to the quality running back, put alexander in because he's big and strong (nevermind that he fell as soon as he was touched) and on and on.

I don't know WHY everyone thinks that the option wouldn't work. Defenses WERE fast in the 90s. It's not like we're talking about the 1930s.

The biggest problem running an option offense is getting the talent to win vs the big boys. Look around at the powers that be right now, not teams that have good years now and then, but who are consistantly in the top 10. USC, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU , OU, Texas, Tennesee. Most of these run pro-style offenses. OU and texas will run some option plays depending on what they have at QB that season, but neither are really 'option' offenses.

The acheilis heel of the option offense is what is usually a lack of a real passing game. You dont get WRs who are big threats in these offenses, and most 'dual threat' QBs cant take a game on thier arm to win a game.

It all gets back to talent. While the option works well in theory still, in practice you just dont have the same talent at all posistions on offense that you can get with a pro-style set. Players want to get to the NFL. Option offense players dont tend to get there, pro-style ones do.