The Option

Spartness

It died for a reason, move on

Tim Tebo was the top qb last year out of HS right??

He went to Florida, Urban Meyer's base offense is the option, maybe not under center but option is option.

Troy Smith, Vince Young, heck even Louisville runs zone reads out of it to just give the defense one more thing to worry about.

You want to keep those D coordinators heads spinning.

IMO TO's offense created a lot more headaches for D coordinators then BC's.

When I go to coaching clinics most all college and pro coaches talk about the difficulty in running the WCO in college because it plays directly into the strengths of college D's.

Not to mention the preparation required for the players, not to many young guys can excell.

It was tough enough for me under Creehan at USD to learn the Wing-T and now as a coach it seems so simple.

Did I state that I didn't like the option???

Does BC plan on running it part of his WCO?

Is there any reason to start a thread a day after we hashed this out alreay?

I'm done

:boxosoap

:dunno

2 teams come to mind right now.. WEST VIRGINA i guess they dont run the option... The other is Navy thwey had a 9-3 season but they dont play anyone.. And if you think about it Texas ans Tx A&M run a bunch of diff options.. Like some of the other i am not saying i want the ole' triple option back but some thing like Ut's offencs would be nice..

All I was getting at was how could Callahan possibly use it in his offense if Lee or Ganz would start in the future. I'm talking about perhaps using it once a game or perhaps even less. Use it the same way you would run a reverse or an end-around. The ultimate of surprise. I'm not talking about whether an option offense would work today but how it could be implemented in the WCO. Let's talk about that.

Big Red Iowan........ relax !!!!! If you read 90% of these posts, no one says that they want the old offense back.... I believe the question was "will the option work today?"...... I emphatically think that it would work, but by saying that, it doesn't necessarilly imply that I want the old Nebraska back......

I think that most people have "moved on"...... We have BC, a new system, and new beliefs...... it is great to get different type of athletes in here....

I am just not sure why whenever we talk about TO or the "good ol' days" or the option, people have to instantly jump to BC defense....not many, if any of these posts even mentioned disastisfaction with the current system.... ;)

I agree the option would not work as a base offense in todays college football environment. It was a different deal when more scolly's were available. Defenses today are fast fast fast. The option today is religated to the "trick play" category. QB's of today simply can't handle the abuse dealt out by the defenses of today. Crouch took a beating this year up in Canada and IMO they don't hit as hard or are as fast as the top college D's in the US today. It's like hockey for guys who can't skate up there.

Coyeote, so are you going to tell me that all the top notch Defenses that are now in the NFL were not fast in the mid to late 90's when a lot of these players were in college? Get real!

Im not begging for the option back, i just think its insane for people to say that defenses these days are way to fast in college, for the option to work. My god look at some of the top pro-bowlers in the NFL. They were players in the 90's when NU's option thrived. But I guess they arent fast, are they. Thats why all the rookies have came in the NFL since 2000 and made an instant impact and displaced the veterens in the NFL! Get a clue!

Big Red Iowan........ relax !!!!! If you read 90% of these posts, no one says that they want the old offense back.... I believe the question was "will the option work today?"...... I emphatically think that it would work, but by saying that, it doesn't necessarilly imply that I want the old Nebraska back......

I think that most people have "moved on"...... We have BC, a new system, and new beliefs...... it is great to get different type of athletes in here....

I am just not sure why whenever we talk about TO or the "good ol' days" or the option, people have to instantly jump to BC defense....not many, if any of these posts even mentioned disastisfaction with the current system.... ;)

OOOOOkay........???? I don't think I ever became unrelaxed!!!! I was just saying that people tend to want to live in the past constantly and talk about the days when we stomped everyone and those days are gone and are never going to come back. With the limits put on teams for scholorships you can't load a team up like you used to..................so YOU relax!!!! IMO it won't work........try running the option at Auburn and see how well it would work............their defense is way to fast and in today's college football world the defensive ends and linebackers are way to fast for the option. Give me one good team that runs the option effectively in today's game???

OOOOOkay........???? I don't think I ever became unrelaxed!!!! I was just saying that people tend to want to live in the past constantly and talk about the days when we stomped everyone and those days are gone and are never going to come back. With the limits put on teams for scholorships you can't load a team up like you used to..................so YOU relax!!!! IMO it won't work........try running the option at Auburn and see how well it would work............their defense is way to fast and in today's college football world the defensive ends and linebackers are way to fast for the option. Give me one good team that runs the option effectively in today's game???

Florida is in the National Championship game and runs the option. Do they count as a good Team?

I have seen 8 or 9 ranked Teams run an option this season.

You are telling me that Florida didn't have as much speed as teams today? How about Tennessee...Heck, most of their starting defense start in the NFL.... Those two teams had as much speed as most teams do today!

To defende the option, you need DISCIPLINE as much as speed. Yes, FSU and Miami were able to stop NU with speed, but at that time NU didn't have speed on offense !!! Once, TO got tremendous athletes, speed wasn't such an issue...

There are plenty of extremely fast athletes out there to run the option offense..... Why can't the offense cause problems with their speed, just as the defense?

I believe NAVY had a tremendously successful season running the option, and they don't even get to recruit the fantastic athlete. They must play with guys who chose and qualify for the military academy ! I bet with the right mix of athletes, they could easily be undefeated....

I was not trying to start a battle with you.... I am just saying that discussing the option doesn't necessarily mean we are living in the past.... We are all well aware that the TO days are gone, and will always be, that was not the topic at hand.

"Give me one good team that uses the option now" doesn’t make sense, because were talking about the Husker option, the T.O. option, no one before, then, or after has run any offence like it. A lot of people here are acting like all we did is QB run then pitch to the left or to the right, we all now it was more than that.

And with the whole defenses are to fast thing, like I’ve said and others have said the NFL is full of defensive players that played collage in the 90,s(you know Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, Al Wilson, Warren Sapp just to name a few). That whole speed thing didn’t bother Corey Schlessinger on his FB traps (I believe that in the 90’s FB were slower then DB & OLB…or is that just now?). It’s not all about speed, speed is important but discipline and play calling play as big if not a bigger part.