FIRE CALLAHAN!

I'm still waiting for one of you that have been brainwashed by the Stevie P propaganda machine to explain how I misunderstood his speech after he fired Frank.

Funny how people completely ignore points that don't support their side of an issue.

Do you mean the speech about bringing the team back to dominance within the Big 12 and competing for National championships? If so, I would think that we all expect these things, just some expect it to happen quicker than others. I actually thought that Solich could compete with teams in the Big 12 North, but I did not see him competing with many Texas teams or Oklahoma. I certianly did not feel that he would be able to consistantly compete for a National title. This was only Callahan's third year. Sure some have come into programs and turned it around by the third year, but not many. And of those who did turn a program around quickly, name one that had to deal with the drastic changes in offensive philosophies that Callahan has. WE ALL WANT TO WIN! But like I said, some are just willing to give the guy more time than others. IMO, things are on there way up, but within the next couple of years we should be able to beat (not just compete with) top 10 teams. If by his 5th or 6th year, Callahan is still unable to beat these teams, then I will be greatly concerned (I also think Steve P will as well). If we fire Callahan so quickly, I wonder how easy it will be to get another coach? We all have high expectations for this team, but a "three years or you are fired mentallity" is not really an attractive slogan for any job seat.

i will say the recruiting appears to be getting better, but damn his play calling over last 3 years simply has not improved...he just doesn't seem to be able to call or coach to get these guys to achieve like they should.

you can recruit potential, but you have to develop it...i don't think we saw enough guys get substantially better this season...

Does anyone remember the comments of Urban Meyer?

Is anyone paying attention to the Alabama situation?

Hiring and firing top level coaches is not the easiest thing to do. There are actually top coaches that would not even consider coming to Nebraska for any amount of money. Some were offered last time.

This is not the paradise some seem to think it is. Overly high expectations (in my opinion), facilities, even with the upgrades not as good as some in our own conference (but not a real draw back by any means), not one of the eye popping programs for top level recruits, weather, supposed poor nite life, no beaches, no mountains and again winter months.

We have a good head coach,(Note I did not say great, yet) that is doing things right. Recruiting is on the way up, not where it needs to be by any means, academics are continuning to be a major priority, meeting graduation requirements, bringing in good kids that seem to be staying out of trouble. He appears to truly love the program and the kids seem to be very impressed with him.

Understand we are never going to return to those mid 90 years. No one has. We can not compete with the Florida schools, Texas schools or SC as far as a recruiting hot bed. But we can get close enough to be a top 10 team and occasionally compete for a NC. No matter how loyal we all are, it makes no difference. This is a numbers game and Nebraska is short on numbers and always will be. We do far more with far less than anyone in my opinion and I think BC has gotten us very close. His coaching is making kids that most likely would not start at any top 10 program play way above their heads. We have a few but overall most would not play at SC, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, Michigan, LSU and several others.

I was very impressed how are kids faired against Auburn. But I attribute it to coaching and their love for this coach. You send him down the road this program IMHO is done, it will never recover. Think long term and see what happens I said it would take 5 years to see the results we wanted, I still feel the same way. Some just demand to much to soon.

I actually thought that Solich could compete with teams in the Big 12 North, but I did not see him competing with many Texas teams or Oklahoma.

And Callahan has?

Sure some have come into programs and turned it around by the third year, but not many.

Steve Pedersen never used the words "turned around" in his speech. He never mentioned anything about ground-up restoration. That talk started after Callahan went 5-6 his first year.

And of those who did turn a program around quickly, name one that had to deal with the drastic changes in offensive philosophies that Callahan has.

Wrong, Ron Prince changed from a power running game to WCO just like Callahan did.

We all have high expectations for this team, but a "three years or you are fired mentallity" is not really an attractive slogan for any job seat.

Steve Pedersen already made the job unattractive by running off a staff that went 10-3. That argument is pointless now.

I can't believe how some Huskers fans just refuse to see Pedersen for what he is. A slick-talking egomaniac who is making a laughingstock out of one of the nation's most storied football programs.

OK, next questions.

Why is it that Steve Pedersen was able to accurately judge Solich's retooled staff after only 1 year, but we need to give Callahan 5 yrs before we're judging him?

-and-

Why are we fine with Callahan winning 9 games a year and we weren't with Solich?

bugeater sounds very, very familiar...like a "former" member of the board...

Sorry, that wasn't me. You may be surprised to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

By the way, is this one of those boards that runs people off when they don't drink the kool-aid? Your post gives me that impression, but I didn't think it was like that here.

Bugeater,

There were many problems with Frank and Mr. Pederson. I am not a fan of Mr. Pederson either. But the key thing that got Frank fired was his in your face refusal to place recruiting as a number one priority. Pederson being the prior recruting coordinator felt we were failing badly in that department. I don't know that he felt the need to change the offense/program as a priority. I thnk BC was going to coach the way he knew and not adopt a new offense for him. Logical I guess.

But changing things as they were, left a lot of problems for a new head coach. I am not totally happy with the game day play calling but I was not at all happy with the past staff. I think BC has the ability to learn and has the ability to do it.

Frank may have had the ability but it would never have been accepted by the fan base. But he failed to bring in anyone who could run the offense and that is a recruiting issue. He failed there on the offensive side I think.

Coach,

Do you remember the fake punt during the SC game. Very close to the same spot. It worked so all were happy with it. I never heard a mention of it being a bone head call then. Some of the other calls got a lot of head scratching for sure.

I do agree that I would not have done it. But some great plays are made when least expected. It did show a lot of confidence in the kids and our defense.

But I understand your thoughts, and most eveyone elses on that play. But it did not cost us the game. There were many things that could have happened to overcome that.