Spain Gone

LJS Blog

Tyrell Spain is no longer part of the Nebraska football team, a university spokesman confirmed.

Spain, in fact, didn't make the trip to the Cotton Bowl. Spain couldn't be immediately reached for comment Thursday.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Spain, a native of San Diego, switched from wide receiver to cornerback during preseason drills in August, but never cracked the regular rotation. He did play in nine games on special teams, recording one tackle.

A transfer from Mesa (Calif.) College, Spain signed as part of Nebraska's 2005 class but, because of some quirky class transcript problems, wasn't able to enroll at NU for the 2005 fall semester.

At Mesa College, Spain had 46 catches for 858 yards and eight touchdowns his sophomore season in 2004.

He is the ninth player in the 2005 recruiting class who is no longer with the team. The others: Harrison Beck, Leon Jackson, Dontrell Moore, Brock Pasteur, Rodney Picou, Robert Rands, Jeff Souder and Justin Tomerlin.

Interesting development. I wonder if there are going to be anymore this offseason. Best of luck to him.

I, for one, am not that concerned about losing players as long as it is less than a half dozen per year. If the player comes in, gives his best, is honestly evaluated by the coaches, and then does not play and has not shot of playing, I feel no ill will towards him or the coaching staff on his leaving. Some players are just better in different systems. I just get concerned when/if I hear about promised playing time, not getting a fair shot, etc. etc.

I am not too suprised about this either. He just was not good enough to play here now....I am sure when he signed there was a very good chance he was told he would get some PT, but with the new recruits/jucos coming in, there is nothing that you can do.

In all honesty, players are told they will get PT....it is all a matter of how is told and perceived. A recruit may be told he will get the time and that is all he hears...when in fact the coach says that he will have to work hard everyday and so on and so on.....

Cant blame him... I also wouldnt be shocked if Kenny Wilson leaves very soon

I don't know why there is so much talk of KW leaving.

1. He came to the school knowing our RB situation. It's not like they just sprung Lucky and Glenn on him.

2. He had a bad case of knee-itis or some such thing that prevented him from playing at 100%

If you think you should be starting when you are not doing as well as the next guy then you have a screw loose.

In any case he is two to play one so if he transfers he will be a senior redshirt somewhere (essestially sitting out two seasons since juco) and has the next year to do well.

How many transfers in the history of the world have actually worked out? I'll give you Tayler but that was due to a new coach.

Daily

Dukes

Goodman

Beck <-- jury is still out on this one but they have a stud soph for a qb and a new coach.

Rocky Hinds

I can't think of a bunch of transfers right now, my head hurts. The point is if you can't do well where you are you're probably not going to do well where you're going.

Did he ever really have a fair shot at reciever? He didn't make it here in 05 and then came here for 06 but got switched over to DB about 2 weeks into fall ball. What I remember about him from last summer was he was working really with Taylor and had been quite impressive. I believe he was switched back over to reciever for the bowl game, which would mean that he spent about 4 weeks total at the reciever position while at Nebraska.