MItch Mustain leaving Arkansas

HANC

That would be awesome. I thought that he played well for Arkansas this past year. Nothing great but pretty good for a true freshman. I wouldn't mind if we went after him at all. Did they say why he was leaving?

Kind of a long story, but here goes...

Mustain originally committed to Arkansas in August or September of his senior year in high school. He was part of the "Springdale 5". Along with Mustain, a second member of "The 5" - a wide receiver - committed. However, the remaining three committed to other schools - Damien Williams (receiver and a stud) and Ben Cleveland (a tight end) to Florida, and an offensive tackle named Webb to Notre Dame.

Houston Nutt, having gone through a losing season, had a lot of pressure on him to hire an offensive coordinator - something he did not want to do as he enjoyed calling the plays himself. At the same time, during his senior season (a season in which Arkansas would again have a losing record), Mustain had second thoughts and de-committed. There is a book out in which a local reporter had access to the Springdale team for the season, and the book alleges that Mustain realized that Nutt was a "run-only" coach, that not a single quarterback under Nutt had ever improved, and that despite Nutt's assurances, there was no way he would change his offense (trust me - Nutt's offense makes Solich's version of the option look complex).

With all that going on, Nutt hired Mustain's high school coach - Sprindale had just finished an unbeaten season and was ranked in the top 5 nationally. It's alleged that Nutt promised he was turning the offense over to the high school coach (Mahlzan) and that Arkansas would run the no-huddle spread offense used by Springdale. With that, Mustain re-committed, and two more members of the five (Williams and Cleveland) de-committed from Florida and committed to Arkansas. On signing day, those four of the "Springdale 5" signed with Arkansas.

Well, to the surprise almost no one who lives in Arkansas, the change in the offense didn't happen. The no-huddle spread was never even practiced in spring ball, and when fall came around, Arkansas was once again a one-dimensional running team. Luckily for Arkansas, this year their offensive line was composed almost entirely of 5th year seniors. Combine that with Darren McFadden, and Arkansas' offense was good enough for most games. They recorded 10 wins.

However, there were rumors that Mahlzan was not happy; that the players (not just the Springdale 5, but players who had been lured when it looked like Arkansas was going to go to the spread) were not happy, and that Nutt - while letting Mahlzan do the playcalling - limited Mahlzan to mostly running plays.

Turns out all of that was true. The families of three of the Springdale 5 met with Athletic Director Frank Broyles to essentially complain that they had been lied to. Frank responded with, "I've been told by experts that the spread offense can't win in the SEC". Note that the spread is what Florida ran in beating Arkansas and in winning the National Championship. Shortly thereafter - and since they couldn't get any assurances that Arkansas would go to a more balanced offense of any kind - Damien Williams transferred to USC, who was more than happy to accept him.

A few days ago, Mahlzan accepted a postion as Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator at Tulsa. The new head coach there is a friend of Mahlzan and believes in the spread.

Mustain, recognizing that Mahlzan's departure guaranteed that Arkansas would remain mired in a run-only offense, has decided to leave. The issue now is how many more? Again, not just the remaining members of the "Springdale 5" that signed and haven't yet left, but those players that signed due to the signing of "The 5" and the promise of a more wide-open offense. And, of course, the committments Arkansas has so far this recruiting season.

From what I can tell here in Arkansas, the issue with Mustain and the other members is not a "Harrison Beck" situation. Mustain started 8 games, after all. The issue is that the skill players, in particular, feel they have been lied to and that if they remain at Arkansas they will never operate in a modern-day offense that allows them to develop.

And they're right...

Thank you for the insight AR Husker.... it is nice to hear what actually is going on....my bets are with DJR and Mustain ends up at Tulsa.

Yeah, I think you're both right. But I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at major school. I think his heart was pulling him to Notre Dame when he de-committed to Arkanasa, but ND had signed a quarterback by then.

On the other hand, after what he went through at Arkansas, he may just want a chance to be a real quarterback rather than a guy that hands off to the tailback every play, and he knows he'll get that chance under Mahlzan.

For what it's worth, and despite what their families did, they all seem like good kids. Williams, in particular - a 4.0 kid, very respectful, hard worker, and damned talented. They just wanted to do more than stand around - Mustain wanted to pass some, and the receivers wanted to catch some. And after having been told that the offense would do that and not seeing it happen, I don't blame them a bit.

Just be glad we didn't end up with Nutt...

One of the local news channels has this on their website when I got back from lunch:

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A television report in Arkansas said former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain would visit Oklahoma on Thursday as he looks to transfer.

Mustain was considered the nation's top high school quarterback at Springdale High School in Arkansas and signed with the Razorback a year ago.

He started eight games as a true freshman this past season but was replaced as the starter late in the season. He asked for and was given his release from the university earlier this week -- one day after Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn left to become co-offensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Tulsa.

Mustain will have to sit out next season under NCAA transfer rules and will have three years of eligibility remaining starting in 2008.

Linky-doo