Weight: 211

40 time: 4.78

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Indian, Pittsburgh, Iowa State

Favorites:Verbal Penn State

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Per: A Step Ahead: Jim Stefani's Underclassmen Football Recruiting Blog

Beachum is one of the nation’s top LB prospects and one of three highly touted Class of 2008 prospects at Cardinal Mooney………He starred as a sophomore at Poland High before transferring to Cardinal Mooney for his junior year………Helped lead Cardinal Mooney to a state title as a junior, rushing for over 500 yards despite missing some time and not being fully healthy until late in the season (deep thigh bruise and then an injured foot)……….. As a sophomore at Poland, he carried the ball 215 times for 1,003 yards and 10 TDs and earned Division IV All-District honors at LB…..Looked excellent on the 2006 combine circuit (4.31 shuttle, 4.82 forty)…….Benches 320, squats 540, power cleans 240, 31-inch vertical…..Plays basketball…….On film, at LB he runs very well from sideline-to-sideline, does a great job of stepping up and filling the hole and wraps up the ball carriers very well. At RB he runs with a lot of power and good speed plus shows a bit of shiftiness. Linebacker, however, will be his college position, in part due to his physical nature and attacking style of play. He’s a big-time hitter….…3.2 GPA and 19 ACT…..Received his first offer from Cincinnati after camping their in the summer of 2006…..As of mid-January he had offers from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Indian, Pittsburgh, Iowa State and a few others.

Odds of Becoming a Cornhusker:

Hometown: Youngstown, OH

Ohio State head coach (Tressel) is from Youngstown so it might be tough if they show interest. However, 2008 is supposed to be a big year for talent in Ohio so they might not offer. Also good idea hitting the borders of Ohio (Toledo, Cincinnati, Cleveland) as the Buckeye religion isn't as great in those areas. If Tenessee can pull a kid out of Cincinnati, we ought to be able to recruit the state.

Received his first offer from Cincinnati after camping their in the summer of 2006

Is Michigan State offering, yet? The coach from Cincinnati, Dantonio, is now at MSU.

• 3 months later...

Brandon Beachem cut his list down to 10 teams and Nebraska made the cut.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=648141

With November as his deadline to commit, Brandon Beachum, the 6-foot, 214 pound linebacker from Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, has tentatively narrowed his list down to a top 10 (almost) from among 25 offers.

“LSU, Florida State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Boston College, Wisconsin, Louisville, Stanford and North Carolina State are my top ten,” said the Scout.com four-star prospect. “And maybe Michigan State too. I’m still thinking about them and a couple of others.”

With his latest offer coming last week from the Wolfpack, Beachum said he was ready to start trimming his list. “I’m graduating early, in January, so I want to commit by November at the latest. So I needed to start making some decisions.

“I’m looking at these schools because they have all the aspects of what I want in a college—academics, programs, tradition and environment,” he added. “Most important is the level of education each of these schools offer. That’s my top priority.

“North Carolina State is my 25th offer. I got the offer at school last week. Coach (Tom) O’Brien came to my school and I got to meet with him. He offered me right then. I was sort of surprised. I wasn’t expecting it at all. I already got the offer letter in the mail.”

Ranked No. 20 in the Midwest by Scout.com, Beachum said that although he hasn’t decided on where he will take his official visits, he’s hoping to make Stanford one of the five.

“I’m really interested in Stanford,” said Beachum, who reports a 3.3 core GPA and a 19 ACT. “Their quality of academics is the best in the country. Coach (D.J.) Durkin (defensive ends/special teams) talks a lot. He gives me advice on what I need to do to make sure I get accepted academically. He says as far as GPA goes, I’m good, but I need to have more advanced classes on my transcript.

“I just changed my entire schedule around for next year to make sure I have all the required classes,” he added. “I’m also planning to retake my ACT in June.”

Beachum admits that if he meets Stanford’s academic requirements, they would definitely be a serious contender. “I can’t give them an exact place right now, but if I did qualify for admission, they would move up really high on my list for sure.”

Thinking of majoring in business, the stand-out defender says that environment will play a bigger role than depth in making his decision. “I think you can find top programs and great coaches wherever you go, but this is somewhere that I’m going to have to live for four years. I want to make sure I like where I’m at.

“Depth is not really an issue for me,” he added. “I mean, don’t get me wrong, it would be great to see some play time as a freshman. But anywhere I go, I’m going to have to earn my position no matter if there’s one guy or ten guys ahead of me. In the end, it’s all the same.”

One offer Beachum is still yet to receive is from Michigan. “I don’t know why they haven’t offered,” he said. “I know they’re interested. I talk to them a lot and they tell me how much they like me and want me to come to their camp coming up this summer.

“I like Michigan because they are a big program that is close to me. I have offers from big-time schools that are eight, ten hours away, but Michigan is just three hours from me. I don’t think I’m going to their camp though. I'm pretty much done with that. I think I’ve done enough.

“My dad is really helping me in narrow things down,” Beachum said. “Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I’ll have a better idea of my favorites and know where I want to take my officials (visits). I’m really

• 2 weeks later...

Highlight reel here of Beachum:

http://www.scoutingohio.com/BrandonBeachum_2005.htm

You'll notice you can pick some offensive highlights (RB) or defensive highlights (LB) from 2005. The 2006 highlights show both offense and defense. At Scout he is listed as a LB prospect for us while Rivals lists him as a RB prospect for us. Which is it...or both?

One thing I like for us is that it appears there is no love coming from Ohio State or Michigan so they are leaving him out for others to recruit. He has expressed interest in Michigan but the fact that he is in their backyard and they are not showing or may show late interest in him has to give us better standing with him rather than the vibe Michigan is sending with their wait to see if they need him attitude...

Let's get this kid N!

If he's among the best at their camp, Ohio State may offer since they lost a few of their other LB targets. On the other hand, it is not a position of need for them.

Like the Michigan comment. Sounds like he's po'd that Ohio State and Michigan haven't offered and he might just turn down their offers. On the other hand he's supposedly a huge Ohio State fan, so we'll see.