No more excuses

I think Coz will be able to take a few more chances this year in his play calling. 10-4 could be, but If we get by Wake on the road and this defence plays like they did in the last two games, and I think they are capable of doing that, we could very well be 12-2. There's no way USC comes in and wins that game this year, no way. If we have 2 loses it will be on the road, Texas will be tough and Mizzo wants to beat us so bad. Like you all have said the offense will have to step it up in the second half this season. I see ways for us to win all our games every year, but heck I'm a Husker fan what else could I see looking through Scarlet and Cream glasses.

:corndance:corndance:corndance

GBR!!!

I don't blame everything on the coaches, because they came into a crappy situation. (unlike Urban Meyer) I will say this much- this year is my last year of patience with this regime. After 4 years with a nearly pure Callahan offense and defense if we are still laying 10-4 turd seasons I'm jumping ship on Callahan.

I love the Huskers dearly, but when I hear fans talking about how last year was a great season when we were 9-5 and unranked, I cringe. It's not demanding too much to ask for a top 15 finish from a traditional "football school". After four years, this regime's time has come. If they still can't pull it together after this upcoming season, I don't care what anyone says- I'm calling for heads to roll.

It's funny, you ever see who replies to a thread and you realize that once again they have absolutely nothing intelligent to say?

Who said I was speaking specifically about you oh self proclaimed czar of everything defense? :thumbs

Cool! I have a new title: Czar of Everything Defense. It's about time someone recognizes my greatness! And from such an unexpected source. I would like to thank God, and my my mom and dad for believing in me, and all the little people that made this all possible.

I think Coz will be able to take a few more chances this year in his play calling. 10-4 could be, but If we get by Wake on the road and this defence plays like they did in the last two games, and I think they are capable of doing that, we could very well be 12-2. There's no way USC comes in and wins that game this year, no way. If we have 2 loses it will be on the road, Texas will be tough and Mizzo wants to beat us so bad. Like you all have said the offense will have to step it up in the second half this season. I see ways for us to win all our games every year, but heck I'm a Husker fan what else could I see looking through Scarlet and Cream glasses.

GBR!!!

:yeah

I also see an opportunity for victory in every game, and I too catch myself viewing college football through scarlet and cream glasses. I hope I am wrong, and you are right. I hope we win at least 12 games, maybe 14. I hope my prediction of 10-4 is nothing more than pessimism from a frustrated fan. If I am wrong, I will be the first one to admit it. I hope that all of those who have stood loyally by Coz can feed me a big plate of crow. Because, more than anything, I want to see the Huskers win another championship!

GBR!!!

It's funny, you ever see who replies to a thread and you realize that once again they have absolutely nothing intelligent to say?

Who said I was speaking specifically about you oh self proclaimed czar of everything defense? :thumbs

Cool! I have a new title: Czar of Everything Defense. It's about time someone recognizes my greatness! And from such an unexpected source. I would like to thank God, and my my mom and dad for believing in me, and all the little people that made this all possible.

:woo

I thought we were done with this crap of blaming Coz for ALL of the losses we had. I'm glad he's still here. Say what you want, but the offense didn't help out the defense in the second half of ANY game. The TEAM needs to get better in the second half. More intensity and execution from both sides of the ball.

Saying Coz got out coached in EVERY game is ridiculous. Did you even watch the bowl game or Big XII championship. We out played both teams just didn't execute when we had to. The defense kept us in both games as long as possible and BC gave those kids every chance to win.

Yeah, I love how people want to trot out the “great” performance of the D in the game against OU and Auburn. Sure the defense looked good (well, sort of) against a team with a wide receiver at QB and a team that didn’t score on anybody. But how did it look against teams with SOME real offensive threats? You know, like USC (28 points), Kansas (32 points), Oklahoma State (41 points), Texas A&M (27 points), not to mention getting shredded by the aforementioned wide receiver/QB for a 99 yard-mostly passing drive that ended that game for us. Won some of those and lost some, but the bottom line was that the defense never really stepped it up in the second half of any of those games and that is way too many games in which our defense fell apart late.

It doesn’t matter what anybody says, the talent looks good, the recruiting has been good, but the defensive coaching has been consistently bad. And until that changes, I won’t get my hopes up for a great season. The original question was what our prospects look like for next season. Well, if we continue with recent trends here is how it will go: We win all of the games against patsies. We lose to Texas, USC, maybe even Wake and Texas A&M. If we still some way make the Big XII title game, we lose that too. Then, if we play a top 10-15 opponent in a bowl game we lose that as well. So 10-4 would be a conservatively optimistic prediction. I hate to even think that way, but noting has happened in the last three years that has given me anything better to hope for.

Lets see...Okalhoma had 300yds of offense and you pick out 1 scoring drive that accounts for 33% of it. 5 turnovers that game and we lost by 2 TD's. What more did you want our D to do.

....Auburn had under 200 yards of offense and our defense gave the ball to the offense in GREAT field position and we couldnt score. Lost by 3.

And then you put words in my mouth by saying that the defense was GREAT all year (where did I say that??). All I said is that they kept us in the game. OSU was a let down but we scored once in second half (on the last play-our defense cant protect a lead the whole second half). KU we beat (granted in OT, but our defense held em when it mattered) and USC was a disaster all over the field. And I do believe that our defense held Texas A&M when the game was on the line. Take away the defensive hold and our offense doesn't touch the ball.

Lets see...Okalhoma had 300yds of offense and you pick out 1 scoring drive that accounts for 33% of it. 5 turnovers that game and we lost by 2 TD's. What more did you want our D to do.

....Auburn had under 200 yards of offense and our defense gave the ball to the offense in GREAT field position and we couldnt score. Lost by 3.

And then you put words in my mouth by saying that the defense was GREAT all year (where did I say that??). All I said is that they kept us in the game. OSU was a let down but we scored once in second half (on the last play-our defense cant protect a lead the whole second half). KU we beat (granted in OT, but our defense held em when it mattered) and USC was a disaster all over the field. And I do believe that our defense held Texas A&M when the game was on the line. Take away the defensive hold and our offense doesn't touch the ball.

Dude, if you’re happy with the defense, more power to you. All I am saying is that defensively in the USC game the scheme was horrible, the Kansas game was an absolute meltdown that we were fortunate to win, the OSU game was another meltdown, the Texas A&M game was a meltdown, that we also were fortunate to win, and when we had a back-up QB/wide receiver pinned on the half foot line, we let him shred us for 99 yards. That too was a meltdown. Since, as you have noted, the defense plays well sometimes, then why don’t they play well all the time. Obviously there was talent out there, but they were very inconsistent. That is on the coaches. That is what I have said all along. When players like Bradley, and Shanle, and Grixby, and to some extent even Mckeon and Carriker, are out of position regularly, then that is on the coaches. And holding Auburn to 17 points is no big deal, they were a team that did not score. Sure the offense should have done a better job down the stretch, and you do expect the offense to win one for you once in a while (as they did at A&M and against Kansas) but you cant have a defense where no lead is safe. That was the problem. It didn’t matter how far we were up at half time this season, the second half was always an adventure. I just think it would be nice if the defense could put their cleats on the opponents’ throats and take `em out of a game. It seems that they were always so busy trying not to look TOO bad, that they never really looked very good. That is all on the coaches; and, obviously, ultimately, all on the defensive coordinator.

GBR!!!

:yeah

I also see an opportunity for victory in every game, and I too catch myself viewing college football through scarlet and cream glasses. I hope I am wrong, and you are right. I hope we win at least 12 games, maybe 14. I hope my prediction of 10-4 is nothing more than pessimism from a frustrated fan. If I am wrong, I will be the first one to admit it. I hope that all of those who have stood loyally by Coz can feed me a big plate of crow. Because, more than anything, I want to see the Huskers win another championship!

GBR!!!

Well said and I know what your feeling. I just hope to be able to ask you if you want fries with your crow. :)

GBR!!!