Lost DB's

huskers1

Ok so we got some really good db's this year and some good ones last year as well. However, I was recently looking at some other teams rosters and it occured to me that we have lost out on a lot of really good db's in the past. Not to take anything away from the ones we do have but just look at some of the people that are on the list: Smith and the other safety from Oklahoma, Mouton to michigan, devon ross to arizona, shareece wright to usc, and now this year david ross to oregon st. That is every year that we have been soo close to getting some outstanding talent and in the end not being able to close the deal. Again I am not trying to take away anything from the people we have there now (not before bc we still had shanle) but now we have some really good talent in there. However how good do you think we would be if we would have landed maybe just one of those guys a year. Suppose we would have got Smith one year, Mouton, the next year, and Ross this year. With the people we have coming in now that would be one hell of a lineup. We could have Mouton and Smith at the safety spots, with David Ross, thenarse, west, sullivan, and blue waiting to contribute. Also bc we have two really good safetys we might be able to put Asante at linebacker or move mouton to linebacker or maybe actually move culbert there like what was stated earlier. It just got me to thinking what could have been with the talent we have coming here and the talent we missed out on. I LOVE the people that are there and the people we have coming in, this is more or less just a thought and something to pass the time.

Your point is well taken.... We have just missed on a ton of talent..... If's and maybe's really suck in hind-site... but, on a positive, isn't it nice to even be in the "picture" for some of these outstanding athletes....hell, prior to BC, these buys wouldn't even have NU on their list, let alone the final 2-3....

I congratulate the staff for landing guys like Bowman, Murillo, Assante, Paul.....

Man, look in the past....we have just missed on a bunch of studs..even throughout TO and Solich...

Emmit Smith, Carl Crawford (BB), .......the damn Safety from ND who is the "boxer".....I can't think of his name.....

How about the biggest signing day "GET"..... Tommie Frazier....announced on signing day he was coming to NU over ND...... to me, we have never had a bigger signing day "GET".

Interesting topic, I'm sorry if I got off base a little.

Agree, we have certainly lost talent to regular BCS teams but we have a couple of strikes against us...

1. We're in the middle of nowhere with COLD weather.

2. We're currently in a transition, yes still

3. We're not Notre Dame, USC, Texas or Florida

However, we've historically done well with the talent that we've been able to get. Even if they aren't top 10 recruits or recruiting classes. I don't remember for sure but I don't even think that during our national championship run with T.O. (the REAL T.O.) that we had that great of a recruiting class.

Here is my concern regarding our DB's this year. Even if we have the talent (let's conclude that it would be Bowman on one side), will Callahan step up and put one of the new guys in over Courtney Grixby? I hope he does...Let Grixby return punts or send him in as a gunner to replace Rigoni on kickoffs. HE'S JUST TOO LITTLE!!!!

I absolutely think that Grixby will be the nickel back or rotate in at corner. I really think Grixby is a good corner, however Bowman going down really hurt him this year. It forced him to cover other teams number one receiver a lot of the time. When they had bowman they would put Grixby on the number two receiver who was normally shorter. Grixby is quick and athletic as hell so he can stay with almost every number two receiver in the country its just the taller ones that he really had trouble with. If you look at his soph. and freshman years he had good seasons and that was why, he always had a "number one" corner who would always handle the best receiver. This year they just couldnt do that. When Bowman comes back with the addition of Murillo and the development of Jones and Thenarse that will give us what I think will be an outstanding group of corners, they are ALL nfl prospects, yes even Grixby there are a lot of corners in the nfl who are his size. I think the starters will be Bowman and one of Thenarse, Jones, Grixby or Murillo. Either way the load will be lessened for the number two corner and therefore will make them appear to be much better.

I think BC puts, and will put in the guys who are ready and who are the most competitive in practice and as the season goes on. I don't buy the claim that he plays guys for some false sense of duty or whatever. His career is on the line, so playing dumb games with players would be pretty self-destructive. I believe he plays whoever he thinks is best equiped to get the best chance of winning. If a young new guy can outplay Grixby I believe the new guy will be in there. There's more to playing well than body type, desire and performance in HS/JC. I don't believe BC is a stupid.

Here is my only concern about the coaches playing who is best for the position/team. Three situations from this past year come to mind. Lucky in over Brandon Jackson in many instances, Andre Jones instead of giving someone like Ricky Thenarse a chance and probably the largest issue, MATT HERRIAN. I question those three choices. I know that Husker Nation loves Matt but he is and has been done since his knee injury. He doesn't have the speed, the confidence or the ability any longer. Instead of playing a more capable tight end throughout the season, the coaching staff continued to play Matt for the majority of the games. I have to question that decision and wonder what the reasoning behind the decision was...

Talent will only get you so far. You still need great coaching otherwise at the end of 4 years you have a guy that may be bigger and stronger but no smarter than the highschool kid he came in as. I don't question that we are getting better talent. I do however question if we are coaching well enough to develop these kids into top college atheletes.

Take this season for instance. How much better was the offense at the end of the season than they were after the 3rd or 4th game of the season. The D did however continue to develop IMO