pederson out

Retarded.... this entire thread is based on a couple of people acting like children. You cant fire a man just because you dont like him. Not only is that against the law, but that is couter intuitive to building a better program. Lets look at facts. What is the AD responsible for? Obviously hiring/firing head coaches (not assistants), Facilities, scheduling, and the finances of the athletic department. He has fired one coach (Solich,) and i think that all of us with at least half a brain can say that we think that was a good idea. He has hired two coaches, (Callahan, Sadler.) Both seem to be doing adequate to excellent jobs, depending on your expectations, provided they are reasonable. He has massively upgraded our facilities for all sports, which obviously includes the new practice facilites as well as moving the soccer team on campus. He has done a wonderful job of scheduling. Our football team has lined up Tennesee, Washington, Virginia Tech, and some other high profile programs, and also has given us seven home games a year, which raises additional revenue and gives us all one more chance to go and see a game in person. As for finances, many posters have claimed that we are losing donors, under funded, and in the red, yet I have seen no numbers. I do know this however, in the last fiscal year, there were two athletic programs in the big twelve that completely funded themselves with no help from the university, and those two were Texas and Nebraska. This would seem to run counter to all of these completely generic, unproven claims. So I dont know about you guys, but if I got fired from where I worked cuz some schmuks on the internet didnt like me, that you can sure as hell believe that not only would I be pissed, but there would be a big ass law suit waiting for my boss the next day.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Steve Pederson for everything he has done for the Nebraska program and hope that he will be around for a long, long time.

Yeah, lets thank Steve Pederson for a botched coaching search in which he could've hired Urban Meyer but he didn't want him to bring his own staff so then a month later he hires Callahan in desperation and lets him bring his own staff. Lets thank him for hiring a crappy coach that broke Nebraska's bowl streak and got them a 5-6 record. Lets thank him for destroying tradition. Yes what a great athletic director he is. And he fired a 9-3 coach (I'm not defending Frank an in any way), the timing of his firing was bad and he should have waited one more year because they would've sucked a lot worse in 2004. Then they could've had a real coaching search and we'd be better off now. So I say f**k Steve Pederson.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Steve Pederson for everything he has done for the Nebraska program and hope that he will be around for a long, long time.

Yeah, lets thank Steve Pederson for a botched coaching search in which he could've hired Urban Meyer but he didn't want him to bring his own staff so then a month later he hires Callahan in desperation and lets him bring his own staff. Lets thank him for hiring a crappy coach that broke Nebraska's bowl streak and got them a 5-6 record. Lets thank him for destroying tradition. Yes what a great athletic director he is. And he fired a 9-3 coach (I'm not defending Frank an in any way), the timing of his firing was bad and he should have waited one more year because they would've sucked a lot worse in 2004. Then they could've had a real coaching search and we'd be better off now. So I say f**k Steve Pederson.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

I know a pretty large donor personally, and he is not thinking about stopping his payments to the university. In fact, he has increased his donations quite heavily over the past couple of years. I won't say his name on here, but I will say that he has a building (of sorts) named after him on campus.

So I dont know about you guys, but if I got fired from where I worked cuz some schmuks on the internet didnt like me, that you can sure as hell believe that not only would I be pissed, but there would be a big ass law suit waiting for my boss the next day.

His number one priority is being the face of the athletic department and raising money. If the Osborne complex were even close to being funded we would have heard about it by now.

Sure some of the other sports are doing well but not because of anything Pederson has done.

People get fired everyday for not doing their job well. I'm not asking for him to be fired yet but his contract is up the beginning of next year and it sure would do the university well to not renew it.

Pedersen has been UNL's worst PR nightmare. He is either so arrogant that he can't see the forest thru the trees or gets some real bad advice. From the handling of Solich's firing (not disagreeing with what had to be done) to the timing of Doak's removal, this guy needs a professional PR person. He reminds me of Hal Daub when he was Omaha's mayor. Good ideas, big ego, but comes across VERY egotistical.

It really does not matter what side of the fence you fall on with your opinion of SP.

what makes an AD successful? I pose these questions to all of you;

A) Are donations up?

B) Are new coaching hires good ones?

C) Is the fan base more or less unified?

D) Is the overall direction of the Ath Dept going in the right direction?

E) Are ticket sales up?

F) Are the sports that actually contribute to the bottom line going the right direction?

G) How is your program viewed by the rest of the world? (a case could be made that this does not matter)

There are several questions that are no brainers in both directions and some that are yet to be answered IMO. I do not like the way NU handles their business, the face that has been given to NU is less favorable today than it was before SP. Donations are struggling at best. The fan base IMO is far less unified. Overall direction has not fallen and a case could be made it is better. ticket sales are stronger in several sports and faltering in a few more. FB is the driver of this state, and it is staggering at times but I still hold out hope things will work out but I give it less of a chance than at this time last year. In the end SP is accountable for the way this institution is viewed athletically and FB will make or break his ride as its CEO IMO. When Cally does a "f in hillbilles" rant that should be nipped in the bud, it should not be followed by a throatslash gesture. This is not the fault of BC if he is not being corrected. There IS more of a fortress being built and NU does not look the same to its fans than it did before SP.

Actually, we have made the AD position the "face of the athletic department." No where in his duties does it include scheduled meetings with the media, nor does it claim that he has to be liked. Bill Gates is the "public" face of Microsoft, and there are a hell of alot of people who dont like him, but he isnt getting fired. The AD is a business man, not a PR guy. He doesnt have to run a coaching search that isnt "embarrasing," it just needs to be a succesful one. I would say that a vast majority of Husker fans are ok with our head coach. We still sell out our stadium, and it makes no difference if you think that you should be notified if the TO complex is paid for, you still have absolutely no proof that donations are down, or that we are in any worse shaped financially as an athletic office than we were five years ago. Your just saying because like so many of you have said, you just dont like the guy. I am a student at UNL. Not a single dime of mine goes to the athletic department, and we are the first place they would go if they were in dire need of funds due to people cutting off donations. You still cannot give me any evidence that says that he is doing his job poorly, and you are making up job responsibilities to back your argument because you have none. Just saying that "I would have heard about it," doesnt give you enough reason to fire a man, epecially since Im pretty sure that you arent on Pederson's speed dial, so I doubt you would have heard about it.

PR is a huge part of the AD's gig. His job is to bring in money. He doesn't do the daily grunt work. He needs to get a better image of himself and the program. Yes, fans will still buy tickets and go to FB games in spite of him as they love the program. Talk to former players and see how far things have sunk on 10th St. It's about selling your program. Pedersen doesn't get it (least I say the words Houston Nutt?)

From what I have heard, there may be more to the Solich firing, but anything not being disclosed by Pederson would apear to have been withheld inorder to protect Solich's reputation and career.

The Huston thing was a mess, but once Pederson brought his side of the agrument(that huston could not garentee TV time, and did not have things signed) the Huston AD stopped talking.

I never claimed Pederson was from outside Nebraska. And while Solich wasnt from Nebraska, he played for NU. The uproar with Callahan was that he was from the outside and would/could never understand. Understanding what the traditions are all about isnt some secret society that only those with 20+ years inside can understand.

The only threat of losing a coach from NU would be for one to go to the NFL. After all, if you take a program to the top and win NCs, why would you leave to rebuild something elsewhere. While the continuity was nice, as the game and the world change, you must adapt or die. Solich was not adapting, and we were dieing.

When did North Carolina and UCLA become NFL teams? I guess I must have missed that one. Just because Norvell and Blake weren't head coaches at NU doesn't mean they weren't NU coaches. Why did Saban leave an NFL team to go rebuild Alabama? Why did Mack Brown leave North Carolina to go rebuild Texas?

Why did Franchione leave TCU to rebuild Alabama? Coaches leave a programs for only about 2 reasons. The first one is money. The second one is the challenge of rebuilding a team and lateral money. Urban Meyer left Utah for more money and the chance of winning NC's. I guess if you want to know why a coach would leave a program after winning a NC, you'll have to ask those who have done it in the past. I don't have Lou Holtz's number in my rolodex. Most do end up moving to the NFL, but some don't. When BC leaves, I'm sure he'll leave for the NFL.

In terms of continuity, teams that lose coaches have trouble. Oklahoma has not had the success they once did after losing Bob's brother to Arizona and Mangino to KU. It will be interesting to see how USC does now that their OC is gone. A coaching staff is just like a team. Everyone must gell together in order to be real successful. Losing pieces of that puzzle makes the job just tha much more difficult to have a cohesive staff.

To think that in this day and age we can keep our HC and all the assistants for 20+ years is just delsusional.

Yeah, they should have hired you for athletic director, and then we could have let Frank stick around for another year to "suck a lot worse in 2004," then hire someone else to start rebuilding in 2005! That is quite possibly the worst idea I have ever heard, in fact I hope you were kidding or something. Please tell me you were kidding.

PR is a huge part of the AD's gig. His job is to bring in money. He doesn't do the daily grunt work. He needs to get a better image of himself and the program. Yes, fans will still buy tickets and go to FB games in spite of him as they love the program. Talk to former players and see how far things have sunk on 10th St. It's about selling your program. Pedersen doesn't get it (least I say the words Houston Nutt?)

i for one agree totally. i love the program and the kids and always will as a faithful alumni, BUT Pedersen has, for all the good he has done (jury still out on alot of it too, i might add), is not someone i can get behind or admire or even trust. Now you can say that is not important if you want, but by gawd to many of us it is! There is alot of secrecy surrounding alot of what goes on now with the team and personnel and you can bet that is exactly by design per Pud. Callahan has got free reign to go over and above what most coaches have for decision making and his "pro attitude" sure doesn't fit what we have come to recognize in the past. Sure, we can't go back, we can't live in the past, but i am not too damn sure i like what i see in the future either. Just my opinion, don't expect to argue about it, but this whole "administration" hasn't felt right since it began.

i for one agree totally. i love the program and the kids and always will as a faithful alumni, BUT Pedersen has, for all the good he has done (jury still out on alot of it too, i might add), is not someone i can get behind or admire or even trust. Now you can say that is not important if you want, but by gawd to many of us it is! There is alot of secrecy surrounding alot of what goes on now with the team and personnel and you can bet that is exactly by design per Pud. Callahan has got free reign to go over and above what most coaches have for decision making and his "pro attitude" sure doesn't fit what we have come to recognize in the past. Sure, we can't go back, we can't live in the past, but i am not too damn sure i like what i see in the future either. Just my opinion, don't expect to argue about it, but this whole "administration" hasn't felt right since it began.

Couldn't have said it better