pederson out

Old is a frame of mind kids. Remember that.

Very few on this board are in as good of shape as I am and I am 63.

Still run three miles every single morning under 27 minutes, which still qualifies on the PFT in the Marine Corps. Ride my mountain bike over 100 miles weekly and road bike over 75. Normally do 30 to 40 mile on the mountain bike on weekends.

Oh well had to get that off my chest, you kids were starting to get to me on this old crap. Yea I was around before Devaney and I know just how firey he was. That's one of the things I like about BC. I hate this politically correct crap ($hit) see I even do it. Free country say what you want period. WE are losing the rights that a lot of people died for just to be PC.

This goes to show you, old is a frame of mind. I hope I'm not that crazy when/if I get to 63. Here's to you enjoying your (obvious) retirement "old man". :cheers

Good words, Junior.

The seperation does exist and it worries me a bit. I think the older generation is concerned about character. We give them the benefit of the doubt on that but sometimes their actions speak differently. They most likely have it but it hides behind things like "throat slashing", "zipped lip" and "untouchable security" measures, it all has us on edge. We understand things are going to be different than Dr. Tom, but it doesn't necessarily have to be, especially to this extent. I keep going back to the thread within this sight of people that yearn for the NU / OU annual rivalry to come back. Callahan understood "notta" on the wonderful history of that series and proved it with his actions to those fine people. I don't believe we really had hope for that anyway as they have their rival and it never was us, but we sure don't have a chance at renewing such a magnanimous game like that now. I'm afraid, as well as others, that BC is burning alot of bridges that could haunt us after he's gone. I believe that will happen. If an NFL team comes calling, he'll be gone so quick that the phone call will come from the airplane on his way there. Soul searching during periods of subpar NU seasons(anything less than 12 wins), will always happen. Maybe this discussion is good for Husker Nation.

YOU are the $hit in the ice cream.

another grade school comment, too sad.

26 years Rob and still try to live like the Marine Corps taught me.

I have been a fan of this program for over 50 years. Seen the good, the bad and the ugly. All these problems will pass, trust me, it has before. Things are just tougher now. A lot harder to win now than when Tom was working his magic. We are lucky he was thick enough skinned or we would not be worrying about BC. He stayed when many, maybe more than now wanted him gone. It is just more visible with the internet.

I just wish all could give it time. I don't know if BC is the answer or not, but I really don't see anyone out there that would be any better, and it would mean starting over again. Alas we would have more talent than he got. Not saying we did not have talent, just not enough to field a full team. I think we are closer, but I still feel we are a long ways behind the big boys that some think we should be beating. Patience grasshopper!!!!

Do you recall those fine people throwing oranges at him and the players. Do you recall the idiots shooting off their shotguns near our team members heads. Fine people for sure.

I drive down the street and some idiot cuts me off, I get peeved (PC) and call him some name, does not mean everyone driving is one. The group that caused the problem deserved the coment. And most Oklahoma fans were disgusted by their actions.

I saw BC at Lubock, Texas take the whole team over to a 8-10 year old pee wee team practicing on the same field. He introduced himself, the whole team, had pictures taken with every single kid and parent. You never seem to mention the good, just the bad that you can pick out. He is a good man. He has a temper, so what, any one with a set of balls does. His job is to protect his team. I think he has and always will. Devaney would have been strangling some one if it had happened to him.

Do you recall those fine people throwing oranges at him and the players. Do you recall the idiots shooting off their shotguns near our team members heads. Fine people for sure.

I think the most hilarious part of that incident that has been lost is that OU had one more game to play, then the Big 12 title game! The significance of the Oranges was that NU-OU was the last regular season game and it determined who would go to the Orange Bowl. This was not the case in 04, thus they are effin hillbillies for throwing fruit.

Oh by the way, someone mentioned earlier that we could have had Urban Meyers. Not a chance. His dream job was Notre Dame, he turned it down for one reason and one reason only. Not enough talent. He would not have touched Nebraska. He wanted to eat his cake and have it to. He did a pretty good job I would say. But there was never a chance of him coming to Nebraska. I wanted him or Pat Hill, but I am happy with the direction the program is headed.

Oh by the way, someone mentioned earlier that we could have had Urban Meyers. Not a chance. His dream job was Notre Dame, he turned it down for one reason and one reason only. Not enough talent. He would not have touched Nebraska. He wanted to eat his cake and have it to. He did a pretty good job I would say. But there was never a chance of him coming to Nebraska. I wanted him or Pat Hill, but I am happy with the direction the program is headed.

have his cake and eat it too.......sorry......carry on :)

If you are going to call pederson a liar, document it please. I cant recall any instance where he lied to the media. Remember "no comment" is not a lie. And not everything needs to be commented on.

I think this abject hatred comes from the firing of Solich, and nothing else. Somewhere along the way some so called fans got it in their head that unless you are from Nebraska, you have no place in the running of the football program. Devaney wasnt from Nebraska until he was hired away from Wyoming. Osborne happened to be a great coach on the staff of devaney who promoted him when Devaney moved up to AD. And for a great many years people felt Osborne was the wrong man and wanted him gone.

Firing solich was the best thing for the program, he never should have been the coach in the first place. If you think he would have been hired had a seach been conducted, I have some ocean front property in Phoenix to sell you.

People withholding money from the Athlectic dept. and the University because they have a personal issue with Pederson are being petty and unprofesional. Judge the man's job on the results.

Baseball, Volleyball are at all time highs. Basketball actually has people excited about the future. Football is slowly working it's way back to where it was before Solich ran it into the ground. First thing Pederson does when he gets hired is to revamp the football facilites that Bryne had let fall off from among the best in the conference. The program has been among the best in the nation with graduation rates with athletes.

The only gripe I see is he fired a 'loyal' guy and brought in an outsider in football.

First, let me correct some things for you. Pud is a local guy. He's originally from North Platte, NE. Frank Solich is not from Nebraska. He played for Nebraska and was a coach here for several years, but he's not a native Nebraskan.

You may be right that Solich wouldn't have been hired if there was a search committee. If I remember right, Dollar Bill Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops. TO stepped in and recommended Solich, so Solich was hired. In TO's defense, I believe he did this to keep NU from stepping into the same arena as other college football programs. He wanted a coach to be here until they retired. He didn't want someone new to come in for a few years and then jump ship to the next best paying job.

Volleyball has been near the top for several years, try over a decade (NC in 95). Baseball was coming on strong long before Pud ever took over the reigns. Mens basketball has always been kind of a joke. We've had a couple of runs when we won the Big 8, but we've never been consistently good. NU has been regarded very high for graduation rates long before Pud was ever hired. I believe we are still #1 in football academic all americans.

IMO, there were some lies about the Houston game a couple of years ago. There were some lies in regards to who had been contacted and in what regard before BC was hired. I believe the reason for Solich's dismissal was a lie.

Solich spent from 1961-62 to 2003 here in Nebraska as player and coach (never seen a losing season... not as a player... not as a high school coach... not as a collegiate coach.) Makes him a Nebraskan for me.

As for Pedey... shame on him in getting in a childish tiff over a silly media guide. Just mind boggling if you ask me.

The main problem with Pedersen is this. He alienates the wrong people. Boosters, fans, school administrators at other schools, ESPN and now the biggest newspaper in the state. Not the smartest moves on his part. Seems to me, if I were AD at a football happy school in a football happy state... Id be extra careful to keep them (OWH and the press in general) in my corner. Accesibillty to the program is becoming a bigger issue with each yr now. Now we are seeing a adverse effect from it now. This is a situation that needs to be addressed by the administration IMO in the near future. The press can make ya or break ya if you aren't careful.

I wrote this on another board that goes into detail why these titans are squaring off in the public.

http://www.bighuskerfan.com/phpBB2/viewtop...88&start=60

They were getting on me pretty good but sorry... I don't sugar coat it. I SUGA coat it! :rollin

Thank god for you skers... you are my new hero, and I am dead serious about that. I am sick and tired of this jaded generation that honestly believes that everything has gone to hell since they were young. Let me inform those of us who werent around, or who were and obviously have zero long term memory to rely on. In 1972, when TO took over, they guys who played on my high school team way back in 2003 were athletic enough to play for Oklahoma State, or Iowa State for that matter. People like Michael Vick, Randy Moss, Jevon Kearse... these so called "freaks" did not exist. Teams like Iowa State and Mizzou, and Kansas, now have guys with just as much athletic ability as USC, Texas, and us. Dont believe me? See Texas vs. K State this year. In 1972, Nebraska could skate through three quarters of their schedule without ever being tested, now USC, the most talented team in college football, has trouble beating Washington State. You do the math. 11 wins, hell even 9 wins is one hell of a season, and takes some luck as well as talent.

It's not exactly the AD that pisses me off, its the incompetence at the coaching position which really gets under my skin. Plus we have a dumb@$$ for a coach and if that arrogant jackass Steve Pederson wasn't so desperate to get his own guy in there at head coach we'd probably be better off.

You realize we are all bitching just because its offseason and theres nothing to talk about.

Not all of us are bitching, just a small few. It takes all kinds. Life is to short to be upset for very long.

Just remember we almost lost Tom because of actions just like what is going on around here now. Had he left where would we be now. Sometimes you get what you ask for, and then your not to happy about it.

Not saying BC is another Tom Osborne, but he appears to run a cleaner ship. Holds the kids feet to the fire and is filling the empty cupboards. Sit back and enjoy the ride, be it rough or smooth.

Not all of us are bitching, just a small few. It takes all kinds. Life is to short to be upset for very long.

Just remember we almost lost Tom because of actions just like what is going on around here now. Had he left where would we be now. Sometimes you get what you ask for, and then your not to happy about it.

Not saying BC is another Tom Osborne, but he appears to run a cleaner ship. Holds the kids feet to the fire and is filling the empty cupboards. Sit back and enjoy the ride, be it rough or smooth.

I remember those years when the only bowl wins were against LSU. I don't know who beat us more Miami or FSU, but every year after the bowl loss (and it was every year there for awhile) or the OU loss people started talking about throwing out TO. I wonder if another AD had been in there if something would have been done. I guess unless you win the national title every year someone will be complaining.

Around here they were mad that Ohio State's coach, Tressel, didn't give a better explanation of what happened in the National Title game. Win conference championships, beat your main rival every year, win a national title and if you don't beat Illinois by enough, you hear people start bitching.

Although personally I think Pederson is a goon, he has done what we ask of him. He has brought in coaches that have a chance to win. Remember, nobody liked Bill Byrne when he came here and look what he did for our football, volleyball and baseball programs.

As little as we may like him as a person and how he may do things, the guy seems to have the major programs on the right track.