pederson out

I agree with most of what you say. The lies Steve has told are numerous and well documented.

I wanna see 'em. I want to see concrete evidence of these lies. Like I said, I am sure he's not the most honest guy, but with all the garbage that floats around these issues I'd really like to see proof that doesn't involve a level of hearsay or implying one thing from another with no real proof. I'd really like to hate this guy as much as the people that funneled their hate into websites, caps, hat's, t-shirts, etc, etc. I'd be fun I think.

There is a huge reason why he should be fired. While the new football complex is great, it was poorly funded and the majority of the big donors are withholding money because they don't trust the guy. The athletic department is in the red because of his poor people skills which has led the project to be underfunded.

Was it always in the black with Byrne? Hell, has it ever really been in the black? Does the rest of the university rely on money earned from the athletic department? I am pretty sure no, that's what tuition is for. As long as the department can actually fund the programs it needs to, is there really a problem? Sure, being in the black is better than in the red. Anyone knows that.

Do you have balance sheets from the athletic department? Obviously this is a rhetorical question. I would hope not. However I would expect some hearsay.

Byrne apparently decided to basically stop spending money on football at NU. We had great facilities as was well noted in the 90's. Then you started to hear how they weren't awful, but they didn't stand out among other schools. Was that OK?

As for everyone patting him on the back about everything he has done, the football team finished worse than it did with Solich, Yori, Anderson, and Cook were all Byrne's hires, and he never would have hired Doc if Collier didn't quit.

He does deserve some credit. There is no doubt in my mind about that. The focus in the athletic department is back on football, where the money is made to fund the other sports AFAIK.

Byrne should have never let Osborne dictate who was going to be the next coach for football. There is no doubt in my mind of that.

He would have never fired Collier? Never? You sure? That's really not something you can really prove, can you? As far as hiring Doc, give it some time. People will be calling for his head too.

If there is one guy's opinion and insight that I can count on about Pederson, it's skersfan's and I think he's right. Pedersen just pisses people off. No doubt about it.

Bottom line is that we can all yell until we are blue in the face about, well, anything we want. It's just too bad it won't matter. What would really matter is stopping the support of Husker athletics. That would be worst than overcoming a crack addiction. :)

I agree with most of what you say. The lies Steve has told are numerous and well documented.

I wanna see 'em. I want to see concrete evidence of these lies. Like I said, I am sure he's not the most honest guy, but with all the garbage that floats around these issues I'd really like to see proof that doesn't involve a level of hearsay or implying one thing from another with no real proof. I'd really like to hate this guy as much as the people that funneled their hate into websites, caps, hat's, t-shirts, etc, etc. I'd be fun I think.

"I am sure that he's not the most honest guy...."

So even you are saying he is a liar, then you do a 180 and say that you need proof.

There have been many instances where he has been caught in lies it wouldn't take much for you get access to them. Having a charter waiting for Nutt in Fayettevilee and denying it, offering the job to the Chief's assistant then denying it. Offering the job to Zimmer then denying it. Saying he fired Solich because of recruiting but Callahan's recruiting has not been spectacular. An intelligent man can see the signs.

There is a huge reason why he should be fired. While the new football complex is great, it was poorly funded and the majority of the big donors are withholding money because they don't trust the guy. The athletic department is in the red because of his poor people skills which has led the project to be underfunded.

Was it always in the black with Byrne? Hell, has it ever really been in the black? Does the rest of the university rely on money earned from the athletic department? I am pretty sure no, that's what tuition is for. As long as the department can actually fund the programs it needs to, is there really a problem? Sure, being in the black is better than in the red. Anyone knows that.

Do you have balance sheets from the athletic department? Obviously this is a rhetorical question. I would hope not. However I would expect some hearsay.

Byrne apparently decided to basically stop spending money on football at NU. We had great facilities as was well noted in the 90's. Then you started to hear how they weren't awful, but they didn't stand out among other schools. Was that OK?

Byrne did have the department in the black. He had ideas of upgrading facilities but knew that the money wasn't there so he abandoned them.

Also, as much a Pederson likes to thump his chest we would have heard about a zillion times by now if we had that project funded.

He would have never fired Collier? Never? You sure? That's really not something you can really prove, can you?

Go back and read the quote again I never said that almighty one.

He does deserve some credit. There is no doubt in my mind about that. The focus in the athletic department is back on football,

9-5 and out of the rankings. Does he really want credit for that?

If there is one guy's opinion and insight that I can count on about Pederson, it's skersfan's and I think he's right. Pedersen just pisses people off. No doubt about it.

And you never know who you are talking to and where they get their info.

As for everyone patting him on the back about everything he has done, the football team finished worse than it did with Solich, Yori, Anderson, and Cook were all Byrne's hires, and he never would have hired Doc if Collier didn't quit.

He does deserve some credit. There is no doubt in my mind about that. The focus in the athletic department is back on football, where the money is made to fund the other sports AFAIK.

Byrne should have never let Osborne dictate who was going to be the next coach for football. There is no doubt in my mind of that.

He would have never fired Collier? Never? You sure? That's really not something you can really prove, can you? As far as hiring Doc, give it some time. People will be calling for his head too.

If there is one guy's opinion and insight that I can count on about Pederson, it's skersfan's and I think he's right. Pederson just pisses people off. No doubt about it.

Bottom line is that we can all yell until we are blue in the face about, well, anything we want. It's just too bad it won't matter. What would really matter is stopping the support of Husker athletics. That would be worst than overcoming a crack addiction. :)

I just don't know what to think of Pederson. Very many respectful replies to this thread.......DaveH makes some very valid points that I doubt can be answered fully, but less need be answered.

Regardless if Pederson is making money for the school, he is indeed, alienating many former players and donors.

I listen to skersfan and hoyamann and then others and still can't put my finger on it.

Reminds me of public education. So many great things about it, yet so many horrible things

If you are going to call pederson a liar, document it please. I cant recall any instance where he lied to the media. Remember "no comment" is not a lie. And not everything needs to be commented on.

I think this abject hatred comes from the firing of Solich, and nothing else. Somewhere along the way some so called fans got it in their head that unless you are from Nebraska, you have no place in the running of the football program. Devaney wasnt from Nebraska until he was hired away from Wyoming. Osborne happened to be a great coach on the staff of devaney who promoted him when Devaney moved up to AD. And for a great many years people felt Osborne was the wrong man and wanted him gone.

Firing solich was the best thing for the program, he never should have been the coach in the first place. If you think he would have been hired had a seach been conducted, I have some ocean front property in Phoenix to sell you.

People withholding money from the Athlectic dept. and the University because they have a personal issue with Pederson are being petty and unprofesional. Judge the man's job on the results.

Baseball, Volleyball are at all time highs. Basketball actually has people excited about the future. Football is slowly working it's way back to where it was before Solich ran it into the ground. First thing Pederson does when he gets hired is to revamp the football facilites that Bryne had let fall off from among the best in the conference. The program has been among the best in the nation with graduation rates with athletes.

The only gripe I see is he fired a 'loyal' guy and brought in an outsider in football.

If you are going to call pederson a liar, document it please. I cant recall any instance where he lied to the media. Remember "no comment" is not a lie. And not everything needs to be commented on.

I think this abject hatred comes from the firing of Solich, and nothing else. Somewhere along the way some so called fans got it in their head that unless you are from Nebraska, you have no place in the running of the football program. Devaney wasnt from Nebraska until he was hired away from Wyoming. Osborne happened to be a great coach on the staff of devaney who promoted him when Devaney moved up to AD. And for a great many years people felt Osborne was the wrong man and wanted him gone.

Firing solich was the best thing for the program, he never should have been the coach in the first place. If you think he would have been hired had a seach been conducted, I have some ocean front property in Phoenix to sell you.

People withholding money from the Athlectic dept. and the University because they have a personal issue with Pederson are being petty and unprofesional. Judge the man's job on the results.

Baseball, Volleyball are at all time highs. Basketball actually has people excited about the future. Football is slowly working it's way back to where it was before Solich ran it into the ground. First thing Pederson does when he gets hired is to revamp the football facilites that Bryne had let fall off from among the best in the conference. The program has been among the best in the nation with graduation rates with athletes.

The only gripe I see is he fired a 'loyal' guy and brought in an outsider in football.

First, let me correct some things for you. Pud is a local guy. He's originally from North Platte, NE. Frank Solich is not from Nebraska. He played for Nebraska and was a coach here for several years, but he's not a native Nebraskan.

You may be right that Solich wouldn't have been hired if there was a search committee. If I remember right, Dollar Bill Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops. TO stepped in and recommended Solich, so Solich was hired. In TO's defense, I believe he did this to keep NU from stepping into the same arena as other college football programs. He wanted a coach to be here until they retired. He didn't want someone new to come in for a few years and then jump ship to the next best paying job.

Volleyball has been near the top for several years, try over a decade (NC in 95). Baseball was coming on strong long before Pud ever took over the reigns. Mens basketball has always been kind of a joke. We've had a couple of runs when we won the Big 8, but we've never been consistently good. NU has been regarded very high for graduation rates long before Pud was ever hired. I believe we are still #1 in football academic all americans.

IMO, there were some lies about the Houston game a couple of years ago. There were some lies in regards to who had been contacted and in what regard before BC was hired. I believe the reason for Solich's dismissal was a lie.

You are right. It is my opinion or belief. However, we do know that some lies were told. We know that either Pud or Houston's AD was lying in regards to the game a couple of years ago. The fact is there was a lie. We just get to choose which one we believe. Either Houston Nutt or Pud was lying in regards to his job offer. Again, we get to choose who lied. Unless we want to hire Bart Starr (sp) to come in and investigate to prove one side or the other right, we'll probably never really know in either case who lied. However, it seems that whenever there's a lie around Pud's name is in the same sentence.

From what I have heard, there may be more to the Solich firing, but anything not being disclosed by Pederson would apear to have been withheld inorder to protect Solich's reputation and career.

The Huston thing was a mess, but once Pederson brought his side of the agrument(that huston could not garentee TV time, and did not have things signed) the Huston AD stopped talking.

I never claimed Pederson was from outside Nebraska. And while Solich wasnt from Nebraska, he played for NU. The uproar with Callahan was that he was from the outside and would/could never understand. Understanding what the traditions are all about isnt some secret society that only those with 20+ years inside can understand.

The only threat of losing a coach from NU would be for one to go to the NFL. After all, if you take a program to the top and win NCs, why would you leave to rebuild something elsewhere. While the continuity was nice, as the game and the world change, you must adapt or die. Solich was not adapting, and we were dieing.

From what I have heard, there may be more to the Solich firing, but anything not being disclosed by Pederson would apear to have been withheld inorder to protect Solich's reputation and career.

The Huston thing was a mess, but once Pederson brought his side of the agrument(that huston could not garentee TV time, and did not have things signed) the Huston AD stopped talking.

I never claimed Pederson was from outside Nebraska. And while Solich wasnt from Nebraska, he played for NU. The uproar with Callahan was that he was from the outside and would/could never understand. Understanding what the traditions are all about isnt some secret society that only those with 20+ years inside can understand.

The only threat of losing a coach from NU would be for one to go to the NFL. After all, if you take a program to the top and win NCs, why would you leave to rebuild something elsewhere. While the continuity was nice, as the game and the world change, you must adapt or die. Solich was not adapting, and we were dieing.

When did North Carolina and UCLA become NFL teams? I guess I must have missed that one. Just because Norvell and Blake weren't head coaches at NU doesn't mean they weren't NU coaches. Why did Saban leave an NFL team to go rebuild Alabama? Why did Mack Brown leave North Carolina to go rebuild Texas?

Why did Franchione leave TCU to rebuild Alabama? Coaches leave a programs for only about 2 reasons. The first one is money. The second one is the challenge of rebuilding a team and lateral money. Urban Meyer left Utah for more money and the chance of winning NC's. I guess if you want to know why a coach would leave a program after winning a NC, you'll have to ask those who have done it in the past. I don't have Lou Holtz's number in my rolodex. Most do end up moving to the NFL, but some don't. When BC leaves, I'm sure he'll leave for the NFL.

In terms of continuity, teams that lose coaches have trouble. Oklahoma has not had the success they once did after losing Bob's brother to Arizona and Mangino to KU. It will be interesting to see how USC does now that their OC is gone. A coaching staff is just like a team. Everyone must gell together in order to be real successful. Losing pieces of that puzzle makes the job just tha much more difficult to have a cohesive staff.

wow, this ia helluva thread! although Pud has done some "good things" i think it is safe to say most feel he is an ass hat at best. being a decent guy or at least projecting that image sure doesn't hurt fund raising by any means. no matter what the cause, hard to shell out bucks when you really don't like the guy running the organization.

I agree he is an idot but i disagree that he should be fired he has done alot for the whole program. You have to look at what he has done and not just judge him on one thing that he should or should not have done.

Internally inconsistent argument is so very tacky! Either he is an idiot or he has done a lot for the program. You can't have it both ways else you would be saying that an idiot can do a lot for the program.

Now, maybe if you think a particular move or two of his were idiotic, that's different.

:bonez

Wow, I can't believe I read this thread. Might as well put my input in like everyone else. He just seems like a snake in the grass. Real smug and arrogant. NU does seem like it has lost some of its values and traditions that were around when I was growing up. Sure, you can't just walk down on the field whenever, that's understandable. But it has seem to have lost some of it's midwestern values, toughness, persistance, family.

Assistants are not the same as HCs. Blake and Norvel left because they throught the other job would help them become a Head coach. Welcome to the modern world of college football.

Stoops not having sucsess? They lose 2 or 3 games a year, are a regular in BCS games, and the big 12 champ game. Man, if that isnt sucess I dont know what is.

USC lost Chow acouple years back, didnt seem to do them much damage. I doubt losing Kifin will effect it much either.

Good programs attract good people. CHanges in staff bring in fresh ideas. Some have left after winning NCs, but most of those went to either the NFL, or retired for a few years before deciding to get back in the game. Do you see Stoops, Brown, Carrol, Meyer or Tressel leaving for another college job? I have a hard time beliving any of them would leave for an NFL job.

North Carolina will never be a regular power,very little chance for a NC Texas is a power.

Saban left the NFL because the NFL wasnt what he thought it would be, and wanted backto the college game.

Fran left TCU for 'Bama as TCU can never win a NC. The move from'Bama to A&M, unless you are bear bryant, they dont want you there (Hmm, this sounds familiar, just change the name).