--#24: Miami

--#23: Texas A&M

--#22: Oregon

--#21: Auburn

--#20: Tennessee

--#19: Hawaii

And today...

--#18: Nebraska

Reaching the Big 12 title game last year for the first time since 1999 was a step in the right direction. Losing to Oklahoma in the game was not, however, and then following with the Cotton Bowl loss further cooled the optimism of a 9–3 regular season.

Statistically, Nebraska made dramatic strides both offensively and defensively. But the numbers still didn’t add up to a return to national prominence. They need to, and sooner rather than later.

Nebraska figures to repeat as Big 12 North champion and with an indoor title game at the Alamodome, it would have a better shot to win this time. North Division or not, the Cornhusker offense is built for controlled conditions, hardly the case last season in Kansas City. Still, getting to San Antonio isn’t a lock.

Offensively, Zac Taylor, the right quarterback at the right time for the development of Bill Callahan’s system, must be replaced; the line must continue to improve; and Marlon Lucky not only has to play to the level of his recruiting hype but also must stay healthy. If the line can protect Taylor’s successor, likely Sam Keller, the receivers are capable of making plays, most notably Maurice Purify and Terrence Nunn.

Defensively, the concern, and it’s a significant one, is up front, where all four must be replaced. Rumors in the spring — reporters were excluded for the first time under Callahan — were that the defense might be shifting to a 3-4 base.

The linebacking will be solid, if not outstanding, and an improved secondary will allow for more versatility, even if Zack Bowman is unable to return at close to full speed. Special teams play continues to be an emphasis but Callahan must break in a new kicker.

The Cornhuskers should return to the Big 12 Championship Game. But the program’s progress will be measured from that point on.

if this does happen callahan has to have supreme confidence in potter and cryer to be able to handle that. I wouldn't worry much about suh by him self inside. this does kinda sound like a good idea to me.

your thoughts???

huskers ranked 18 in this countdown poll also rumors bout switching to the 3-4

Athlon is doing their traditional daily countdown of their "Pre-Season Top 25."

It's gone like this:

--#25: TCU

--#24: Miami

--#23: Texas A&M

--#22: Oregon

--#21: Auburn

--#20: Tennessee

--#19: Hawaii

And today...

--#18: Nebraska

Reaching the Big 12 title game last year for the first time since 1999 was a step in the right direction. Losing to Oklahoma in the game was not, however, and then following with the Cotton Bowl loss further cooled the optimism of a 9–3 regular season.

Statistically, Nebraska made dramatic strides both offensively and defensively. But the numbers still didn’t add up to a return to national prominence. They need to, and sooner rather than later.

Nebraska figures to repeat as Big 12 North champion and with an indoor title game at the Alamodome, it would have a better shot to win this time. North Division or not, the Cornhusker offense is built for controlled conditions, hardly the case last season in Kansas City. Still, getting to San Antonio isn’t a lock.

Offensively, Zac Taylor, the right quarterback at the right time for the development of Bill Callahan’s system, must be replaced; the line must continue to improve; and Marlon Lucky not only has to play to the level of his recruiting hype but also must stay healthy. If the line can protect Taylor’s successor, likely Sam Keller, the receivers are capable of making plays, most notably Maurice Purify and Terrence Nunn.

Defensively, the concern, and it’s a significant one, is up front, where all four must be replaced. Rumors in the spring — reporters were excluded for the first time under Callahan — were that the defense might be shifting to a 3-4 base.

The linebacking will be solid, if not outstanding, and an improved secondary will allow for more versatility, even if Zack Bowman is unable to return at close to full speed. Special teams play continues to be an emphasis but Callahan must break in a new kicker.

The Cornhuskers should return to the Big 12 Championship Game. But the program’s progress will be measured from that point on.

if this does happen callahan has to have supreme confidence in potter and cryer to be able to handle that. I wouldn't worry much about suh by him self inside. this does kinda sound like a good idea to me.

your thoughts???

I know losing your entire D-Line is a huge loss, but it doesn't make sense to change your whole defensive scheme because of it. Filling in the holes with four replacements is far simpler than changing assignments for all 11 guys. As you alluded to, NU's excellent linebackers can cover for a weak D-line. If you do have a change, I think it will be for other reasons. For example, our D-Line will be better next year than last year' s and it includes a returning All-American. However, the same rumor is going around at SC that they are considering switching to the 3-4. Two entirely different D-line situations, but the same rumors for two different schools. Perhaps the coaches see something developing at the college level where the 3-4 just works better against the newer high powered offenses. If NU and/or SC are seriously thinking of going to the 3-4, I don't think it will be based on your talent level at any give year on the D-line.

TarheelTrojan

just so you know I didn't write that whole thing most was from article on athlon. I just wrote the top and bottom I do agree about not switching the whole scheme though it is not necassarly because of losing everybody up front. one thing i would like to see is some zone mix it up ya know. are line backer should be some of the best in the big 12 though

I think the whole ball got rolling on this rumor because Coz did make mention somewhere about using a few 3-4 packages for some down/distance situations. BUt a wholesale change to the 3-4, I doubt it. Look at our recruits. They have been after more of the same type players we have, not the 'tweeners' that get used for the OLBs in a 3-4.

I think the whole ball got rolling on this rumor because Coz did make mention somewhere about using a few 3-4 packages for some down/distance situations. BUt a wholesale change to the 3-4, I doubt it. Look at our recruits. They have been after more of the same type players we have, not the 'tweeners' that get used for the OLBs in a 3-4.

totally agree with you just speculation at this point in time something to talk about in in june though :) just sayin what i read, that is kinda what I was thinking just in certain sets

Whatever works. If Coz and Callahan want to change the defense they should go for it. They wouldn't change it unless they think it would be effective. This defensive formation is a valid option for teams who have a number of quality linebackers and are short on defensive linemen. In many ways the 3 - 4 is a very flexible defense.

But Athlon could be wrong. This is probably pure speculation at this point.

if a switch to the 3-4 is made, or at least used i could imagine that guys like barry turner de/rush olb, pierre allen de/rush olb, and stienkuler dt/de, among others would see different positions on the filed. i see this "experiment" with the 3-4 as a great thing, it helps bring more packages to the defense in order to get more of the best players on the field at once. think about it...potter, suh, stienkuler/turner on the line.....ruud/turner, mckeon, brandenberg/culbert, octavien/allen at the linebacker positions, and grixby/jones, bowman/murrillo, asante/thenarse, and green/wilson in the defensive backfield. hell throw asante in at the linebacker position in the 3-4 for speed too. i think that it would be a great addition to the defense, allowing for more of the best players, and also giving them all more versatility not only helping on the injury front, but helping them for futures in the nfl...

I personally like the angle a 3-4 brings. Plus, it might help quell the controversy over the playing time certain LB's get

I agree. I think the Huskers have the personnel to do it this year. I am not sure about changing the base package, but I can see them doing a lot of it in order to get Ruud, Octavien, McKeon, and Dillard on the field at the same time. We'll see, whatever gets playmakers on the field and stops teams from scoring points is what matters. Last year didn't seem to cut it.

Perhaps the coaches see something developing at the college level where the 3-4 just works better against the newer high powered offenses.

Perhaps a reaction to the spread and/or the more mobile quarterbacks though I see that having the 4 linebackers out there might help against the short passing game of a West Coast-style offense as well. Will we see USC and Nu running it against each other?

Did Auburn run a 3-4 at all? Perhaps our D coaches picked it up from them.

For those not in the know, the Wikipedia article actually gives a decent intro.

You know what I'd like to see?

The defense lined up and what appears to QB, vulnerable...BUT WE KNOW THIS...then at the last second (or 2), audible the defense and move into position to make QB go "WTF!?" and either 1) call a timeout 2) freak out and forget to call a TO and get a Delay of Game or 3) freak out, call the play, try to run the play, and come off the sideline still saying "WTF", as the special teams come out so we can kick our extra point for our INT/Fumble Return for a TD :)

I'm not even joking either. I like defenses that play games with the offense, kind of like New England did (more so) when Romeo Crennell was there. Sometimes have 1 or NO down lineman. Oh man it was great to see the look on the QBs face.