Purify replaced on huskers.com header

I love how we over-analyze everything. :)

Honestly, if their was word leaking to huskers.com to take down his picture because of a possible upcoming release, word would leak from there and everyone would know.

If/When Purify gets convicted of the accusations against him, THEN you should worry about his status before the team. HCBC isn't going to kick him off of the team before he gets his fair shake in court.

Once again, it seems to me that Callahan is lacking crediblity. Because of his silence, I sense a lack of character. He should be upfront and outspoken on everything if he was confident in Purify's character. I think he is literaly pinning the crediblity of Nebraska football on the outcome of a court hearing in hopes a supposed super star player will come save the day. Something warns me of another rain cloud hovering over our heads if he stays. It will forever be known and passed along that Purify was given special consideration merely because of his "athlete status" at the U of N. Is that what we want? Is that what we need? Is that all it takes to be deserving and worthy of a University of Nebraska scholarship? That's quite sad actually. :hmmph Is our remote situation cultivating the troubled waters or is it merely a misguided Athletic Director and/or Coach? I prefer to think the latter.

Once again, it seems to me that Callahan is lacking crediblity. Because of his silence, I sense a lack of character. He should be upfront and outspoken on everything if he was confident in Purify's character. I think he is literaly pinning the crediblity of Nebraska football on the outcome of a court hearing in hopes a supposed super star player will come save the day. Something warns me of another rain cloud hovering over our heads if he stays. It will forever be known and passed along that Purify was given special consideration merely because of his "athlete status" at the U of N. Is that what we want? Is that what we need? Is that all it takes to be deserving and worthy of a University of Nebraska scholarship? That's quite sad actually. :hmmph Is our remote situation cultivating the troubled waters or is it merely a misguided Athletic Director and/or Coach? I prefer to think the latter.

No no, there's no lack of character or credibility. He's just waiting for the facts to come out. roll.gif

No no, there's no lack of character or credibility. He's just waiting for the facts to come out. roll.gif

I know there are others thinking...so I'll ask. What other 'facts' do you want? I think everyone waiting for 'facts' to come out, means that they want to hear what Mo and Callahan have to say. Last time I checked, there have been police reports released, interviews given by police and witnesses, those involved, etc. The only ones we haven't heard from are the accused and the school.

Fact is...the 'facts' are out. What we are waiting for is his fate.

Once again, it seems to me that Callahan is lacking crediblity. Because of his silence, I sense a lack of character.

Callahan lacks character because he doesn't want to comment on the situation until Purify goes through due process? I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time getting from point A to point B here. I can see how you could get from A to B riding the "Let's hang Callahan!!11" train, but otherwise I can't.

What exactly doesn't make sense about this? Once due process is done, he'll know what exactly he is guilty of and punish him in the scope of the football team as he sees fit. There's no sense in trying to sort out the he said, she said of a situation like this as a football coach. That's what due process is for.

I have no problem with how the situation has been handled thus far and it makes sense to me. Sure, there is more than one way to skin a cat, but he's the coach, it's his show. As long as it makes sense, it's fine by me. Like it even matters what's "OK by Joe Fan" anyway.

Let's not get too doomy and gloomy about a bar fight.

If you're babysitter is arrested for child abuse, do you continue to let them babysit your child until due process? If your house cleaner is arrested for theft, do you continue to let them clean your house until due process?

I realize these are both slightly different than what Purify was arrested for, but sometimes people have to have some marbles. I mean TO didn't wait for due process when he kicked Phillips off the team. If it were this easy, every college athlete would just have their trials delayed until the season was over. Then no penalties would be assessed by their schools and life would be hunky dory.

I think it's also been established that it was slightly more than your run of the mill bar fight. It was premeditated by events that occurred a week prior. I mean really, murder isn't murder. There is 1st degree murder which carries a lot stiffer penalty than 2nd degree.

My only question is why wouldn't Callahan suspend him indefinitely? It's the summer, and he might not have to miss any games. Suspend him now, let things get worked out, and then determine when he can come back to the team.

Cally may have already put some restrictions on Mo that we aren't privy of. Lets remember he let a lineman go a couple months ago and it was never officially announced nor reason stated.

With the state of current day communications (internet and phones that do everything but make dinner), schools are being more close to the vest in private matters concerning personnel.

***SNIP***

My only question is why wouldn't Callahan suspend him indefinitely? It's the summer, and he might not have to miss any games. Suspend him now, let things get worked out, and then determine when he can come back to the team.

Of course, though, if he did just that you'd have some people decrying it by saying, "Oh, sure, suspend him when it doesn't mean a thing - it's the summer and he'll be back in time for the season."

having a dad who was a college coach for more than 15 years i can say i remember when more than a few of his players ended up in the drunk tank. i used to ask what he was going to do. often his response was--i'll wait to see what everyone has to say and decide based on the discussion FIRST with the player then with the authorities and then down the list...in the meanwhile an untold probation was placed on the player and meetings with the assistant coaches, teachers, friends, etc... helped decide what action should be taken. YES a high profile player in a high profile school should be more careful but we CANNOT judge and dole out punishment til its decided by those best fit to render what it needs be.

Good thing I'm not coach...

With my temper... I'd probably suspend him till further notice (or until I cooled down some) for breaking the golden rule of getting in a situation like that which no doubt has been told to the players umpteen number of times. Then let the the situation run its course before making any final judgement /punishment. I would certainly want to send a msg to the team though with any decision.

I coach baseball at this time, and heck sometimes I want to dole out punishment for not hustling to my taste. Mr. Bench is waiting for you has been my cry.

thats the idea of 'untold' probation! coaches have whistles and they can blow them during 'dawn patrol'. MO is in trouble for sure. bit when callahan gets all the facts and all the testimony; besides the example he'll set of MO, then he'll hand out due justice. whether thats running, commun service, apology, or suspension, you can rest assured it will fit the crime.

I love how we over-analyze everything. :)

Honestly, if their was word leaking to huskers.com to take down his picture because of a possible upcoming release, word would leak from there and everyone would know.

If/When Purify gets convicted of the accusations against him, THEN you should worry about his status before the team. HCBC isn't going to kick him off of the team before he gets his fair shake in court.

How often are you confident in someone's character when they've been drinking? I can include myself when I say that I don't act like I do at work, school, or with my family when I've been downing drinks with my buddies. Is Purify a stand-up guy in the classroom or on the field? Probably, I don't know, but it's likely. But news flash kids...alcohol tends to bring out the worst, bizzare, or completely different behavior in even the best of people. I doubt Cally and Purify shoot down beers together and Callahan can judge his behavior in that situation. Callahan will make a fair decision based on what pans out in court, but until then, Purify deserves to be innocent until proven guilty.

I know there are others thinking...so I'll ask. What other 'facts' do you want? I think everyone waiting for 'facts' to come out, means that they want to hear what Mo and Callahan have to say. Last time I checked, there have been police reports released, interviews given by police and witnesses, those involved, etc. The only ones we haven't heard from are the accused and the school.

Fact is...the 'facts' are out. What we are waiting for is his fate.

I thought the "eyeroll" emoticon would indicate that my post was dripping with sarcasm. Yes, the "facts" are out, but there seems to be more than a few Husker fans that seem to be holding out hope that a bunch of mystery witnesses are going to come out of the woodwork and exonerate Mo.

If you're babysitter is arrested for child abuse, do you continue to let them babysit your child until due process? If your house cleaner is arrested for theft, do you continue to let them clean your house until due process?

I realize these are both slightly different than what Purify was arrested for, but sometimes people have to have some marbles. I mean TO didn't wait for due process when he kicked Phillips off the team. If it were this easy, every college athlete would just have their trials delayed until the season was over. Then no penalties would be assessed by their schools and life would be hunky dory.

I think it's also been established that it was slightly more than your run of the mill bar fight. It was premeditated by events that occurred a week prior. I mean really, murder isn't murder. There is 1st degree murder which carries a lot stiffer penalty than 2nd degree.

Your examples are a bit much.

This is exactly why I think it's best for due process to work before handing out any real substantive discipline. Let the court system figure out exactly what he's guilty of. After all, football players or not, that's why it exists.

OK, for fun let's say Callahan suspends him. What exactly would he be suspending him from at this point? As you said it's not like there are official practices! To suspend him from workouts would only put the team at a disadvantage if it turns out he doesn't get prosecuted.

On top of that suspending him now would be seen as an empty punishment by most people, especially the people who scratch and claw for any reason to discount the guy.