Bowman sighting

Just saw Bowman walking around the stadium with no limp, no crutches or any knee brace of any sort. What should we make of this? I know nothing of this injury or the timetable in which one could recover from it. But shouldn’t someone who suffered this injury nearly two months ago have crutches or at least some sort of noticeable limp? Thoughts out there??......

I really have no answer for this injury. Have never seen one up close and personal. But most sports doctors now want you up and putting weight on the injury as soon as possible.

I hed knee surgery in April. Just a scope for torn meniscus(spelling). Totally crippled for two weeks before, walked out after surgery and was told to stay off of the crutches.

But that does not mean I was healed. Still have pain from it if I over do it.

But I am a geezer as some have mentioned!!!!!!!!

From what I've heard about this injury/surgery (torn patella right?) is that it is a 6-8 month rehab. I've heard most reports that we'd be lucky to see him back in November...if at all. Just because he isn't walking like he has a prosthetic leg doesn't mean that he's OK. Even after months of rehab and looking OK, that still doesn't mean he can run, cut or take contact.

Ask Matt Herian.

Totally different deal with Matt.

Mental limitations that normally are never overcome. I have seen compound fractures ruin many National Moto Crossers. Most never come back from a compound fracture. Been saying that since the day after his injury. I never expected him to return to his pre injury form. But I admired him for trying. That type of injury and what Bowman experienced are two totally different deals.

I didn't mean to say they were the exact same injury. My point was that after a few months of rehab, Herian could walk. Then a little later he was able to jog/run and 'appear' that the leg was healing/healed, though he and everyone else knew it was not ready for real speed. In the same way that Bowman's surgically repaired knee may allow him to 'appear' on the road to recovery...he is still far, far from being ready to step onto the field.

And I have to disagree about the mental aspect. I think that their cases are VERY similar in the aspect that it is going to be hard for Bowman to go out there 110% not thinking about it. Yes, Herian's injury was more greusome and career-threatening....however, you have to remember that Bowman has now had 2 BACK-TO-BACK KNEE INJURIES on what seemed like fairly non-threatening plays. I guarantee that is going to be on his mind for years to come....especially if someone goes to block low on him, etc.

Yeah, what they said

also, about Herrian, my brother's aunt (half-brother) was one of his physical therapy instructors (what do you actually call them? let's go with instructors) and she would talk about how he was a humongous baby throughout the entire ordeal, constantly moaning and complaining. :P

Compound fractures are different from a regular fracture. Knee injuries are painful there is no question, and the worry about having it happen again are always there. But looking at your body being ripped open from the inside does something to the athlete.

I coached/trained a lot of the top young motocrossers. Never saw a single one return to the level they were before the injury. Most gave up the sport instantly, a few tried to come back, but none ever had the aggressiveness they had before. Compound fractures are more comon in moto cross than football it seems. Knee injuries are an everyday occurance. I would say at least half are racing on severly damaged knees with carbon fiber knee braces. Like the ones the linemen wear. Moto crossers have een wearing them for over25 years. Jim Castillo of CTI/Innovation Sports invented them around 79-80. The most severe knee injury seems to always be overcame. Just not the fear factor of a compound fracture in what I have seen.

Yeah, what they said

also, about Herrian, my brother's aunt (half-brother) was one of his physical therapy instructors (what do you actually call them? let's go with instructors) and she would talk about how he was a humongous baby throughout the entire ordeal, constantly moaning and complaining. :P

what a sally girl :)

jk I probably have no idea how bad that all hurt and stuff

Compound fractures are different from a regular fracture. Knee injuries are painful there is no question, and the worry about having it happen again are always there. But looking at your body being ripped open from the inside does something to the athlete.

I coached/trained a lot of the top young motocrossers. Never saw a single one return to the level they were before the injury. Most gave up the sport instantly, a few tried to come back, but none ever had the aggressiveness they had before. Compound fractures are more comon in moto cross than football it seems. Knee injuries are an everyday occurance. I would say at least half are racing on severly damaged knees with carbon fiber knee braces. Like the ones the linemen wear. Moto crossers have een wearing them for over25 years. Jim Castillo of CTI/Innovation Sports invented them around 79-80. The most severe knee injury seems to always be overcame. Just not the fear factor of a compound fracture in what I have seen.

Your are right compound fractures are different, especially psychologically. When I was 16 I had a compound fracture of my right forearm. I was in a game where I was juked, lost my balance, and slipped on the grass. I put my arm out to catch the fall like I had done so many times before. But this time was different. I heard to distinct, "crack" "crack" The next thing I knew, I was standing holding my forearm out parallel to the ground. The only thing was, half of my forearm was hanging 90 degrees toward the ground. One bone was sticking out with blood oozing out the puncture and a clump of dirt and grass on the jagged end of my shattered bone where it had driven in the ground. I was prohibited from playing "any" contact sport for a year. But, honestly, I was terrified it would happen again and never came back. It took ten years for me to get over it psycholoically.

Yeah, what they said

what a sally girl :)

jk I probably have no idea how bad that all hurt and stuff

Well he wasn't complaining about the pain or anything, he just kept complaining and bickering that he had to do stuff all the time. Like, for example, if she would make him do some physical activity on parallel bars or something, he would be all "BUT I AM LE TIRED"

Well he obviously has a long road ahead of him to get back to where he was at before and who knows if he'll ever be right again! I know that I had surgery on my left shoulder for torn cartlidge and sure I wasn't wearing the sling after 6 weeks, but I still couldn't use my arm worth a damn.

Your are right compound fractures are different, especially psychologically. When I was 16 I had a compound fracture of my right forearm. I was in a game where I was juked, lost my balance, and slipped on the grass. I put my arm out to catch the fall like I had done so many times before. But this time was different. I heard to distinct, "crack" "crack" The next thing I knew, I was standing holding my forearm out parallel to the ground. The only thing was, half of my forearm was hanging 90 degrees toward the ground. One bone was sticking out with blood oozing out the puncture and a clump of dirt and grass on the jagged end of my shattered bone where it had driven in the ground. I was prohibited from playing "any" contact sport for a year. But, honestly, I was terrified it would happen again and never came back. It took ten years for me to get over it psycholoically.

I know! But like, did you ever get over it? Like, you know...psychoalcoholically? ;)