Are Husker Fans Lowering Their Expectations?

Frank Solich is gone and we'll never run the option again. PERIOD. If you don't like that fine, but quit whining and complaining about it all of the time. If you want what we had, go watch Ohio. They're desperate for fan support. If you want to stick around and watch a devoloping program, then sit back, enjoy and support it.

That wasn't the argument.

I for one have not lowered my expectations, and the last good Nebraska team was in 1999. Period. 2000 was an underachieving year, 2001 was the fall, the Jammall Lord expiereince still gives me night terrors, and while I do think Callahan has a chance to succeed, up to now I have been underwhelmed.

I am a little amazed at the expectations. Going from some talent and no depth during the years of Solich, to what we have now.

But there still are a lot of Franks kids here. Are they as good as what BC will bring in the next couple of years to replace them? who knows.

But being realistic, which I have always claimed to be, we really do not have a chance at the Big 12 Conference championship. You can rag all you want about recruiting, and how great we are doing, bullsh#t!! We are doing fantastic for Nebraska, but not even on the same page as the top programs. Until we get the ones they want, rather than them taking everyone we want, we will not be ready to compete. First string against first string possibly, but depth is what is killing the team. BC is working on getting it, but it takes time. I think he gets it done, but I do not put a time limit on it

We are playing with two running backs that may be able to play or may not. We are playing with a new QB that has never been on the field at Nebraska, never taken a snap in a real game with Nebraska's offense. A QB that had questionable performances prior. I still say I will be amazed if he is here in the fall. We have a totally new Defensive line, and we could not win the Big 12 with two DE drafted rather high. The replacements are a reach at best. LIne bakcers are still slow, Bowman may never see the field, and we have minute CB's that Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma state ate alive last year.

Realistic, winning the North, a chance at the Big 12 Championship, but no certain deal. Not enough talent on the field, not enough play makers, not enough depth.

You need to take off the Husker glasses and see just how much this staff has accomplished and where I think they are heade. NO ONE WINS JUST BECAYSE THEY ARE NEBRASKA, USC, TEXAS OR ANY PLACE ELSE. It takes the talent to win and currently we are still quite aways behind.

If TO was taking the field with this team, it would be considered a rebuilding year, with high hopes.

Get off of BC's back and support what he is doing, quit whining about Frank, it has been over for a long time.

Not winning the Big XII would be a letdown to me and me only. I'm sure there are other fans that feel that way as well and as you do. I think we are moving in the right direction so let me be clear about that. However, after reaching the Championship game last year we should at least do that again and to me win it. Not saying I disagree with you in anyway because I can definately see your point. I have gotten over Frank Solich a long time ago and I am very happy with what we have now. :thumbs

skers has always pointed to talent and depth of talent. our starters could not even begin to play for the top 10 or so teams in the country, let alone our back ups. nothing to be ashamed off, just reality and a need to keep recruiting at a high level, that's all.

I would have to disagree there. I think Purify is one of the best if not the best wide receiver in the Big XII. I also have to say that when and if Sam Keller starts for us he is a definate stud as well.

why did skers fan say, "i would be surprised if he was here in the fall (sam keller)?" does he mean as a starter, or at ALL? i think keller is going to be DOMINANT. everyone says he hasn't played at NU blah, blah, blah. he was here ALL year last year, throwing..learning..practising..bonding..no offence to Taylor, but if HE could learn the system in 1 year (which is what keller did last year) then be Big XII player of the year the next; then keller can be an all american. he can carry the team. lucky will run freer because of the deep threat. we will be up in games in the fourth. glenn can pound the ball. the defense can pin their ears back because of a cushion on the scoreboard. we can kick field goals instead of trick plays or going for it because of better field position. the second teamers can get valuable playing time while the starters rest. i think all this is going to happen this year and MY expectations are nebraska should be in every game they play without a doubt. we should win at least 11 games--any thing other than 10--is a little bit of a down year.

i know exactly what trev is talking about. my WHOLE life as a husker fan (im 30) i knew nothing less than 9 wins. when we lost, i was literally sad the whole week, till we got our next win. now we realize some programs have caught up to us even in our own conference. this doesn't mean we should expect less wins, or deal with losses better! the players know this tradition, they know the expectations, the trophies are right in front of their eyes. unrealistic? maybe. but that is how i feel. and doubtless thousands of other big red fans. i prefer to think the glass is more than half full. and that means to me 10 or more wins, competing with the big dogs, and having a chance to win championships (B12 or NC). i agree with most everything skeres fan and hunter 94 and others post, but maybe my view is just a little more optimistic?

Have expectations been lowered? It depends on the person but in some cases, probably. But is that really a problem considering what has happened in the last 5 years? Sure, we can expect to challenge for a national title every year, problem is that at this point it's really not a realistic expectation if you ask me. It's not a matter of lowered or sustained expectations it's a matter of realistic expectations.

Do NU fan's really want a revolving door installed in the football offices? "Hey, if you don't improve on the last guy in X years, you're out". You wanna see a program go in the drink, go ahead do that and let me know how it works out. Now am I saying we are "stuck" with BC forever?

No. But to me, the people who continually hold Solich and Callahan to the same fire consider the situation too black and white. I am not sure how you can really compare a coach who worked here for the better part of his life with the essentially the same staff and saw how he could win with the type of ball they played to a coach who has been here for less than half a decade, completely overhauled the team and the way they play ball?

If you want to look it as black and white as that, go for it. For me, the problem is that's a 10,000 foot view of the program and people who view it that way have just been stewing about Solich's firing since 03.

As for a "hot seat"; There is no hot seat. Fans can make up a hot seat if they want, but until the only guy who matters in this regard hints or outright says (probably the former knowing Pederson) there is a problem, it doesn't matter.

If you want to look it as black and white as that, go for it. For me, the problem is that's a 10,000 foot view of the program and people who view it that way have just been stewing about Solich's firing since 03.

I'm not stewing about Solich's firing. I'm stewing about the anti-Solich propaganda that the athletic department has been spewing since the end of 2004 season. And don't even act like it's not out there, since there's another message board out there with close ties to the athletic dept that trashes Frank on a regular basis. Many of you may know who I'm talking about, but anyone who doesn't can PM me and I'll provide links backing up what I'm saying. It's BS that he's constantly being blamed for Callahan's ineptitude.

But being realistic, which I have always claimed to be, we really do not have a chance at the Big 12 Conference championship.

I disagree, we do have a chance at the Big 12 Conference Championship. We were only a few seconds away from beating the longhorns last season. We do have a ways to go, but we are competing much more effectively now. We had one of the best offenses in the nation last season. Sure we lost a couple of key players but the cupboard is not bare. Keller is a talent, a genuine NFL prospect and he will have been in the system for a year by the time he takes his first snap against the wolf pack. We did have let downs on both defense and special teams last year, but we have good reason to expect a higher level of performance this season.

Either way, we'll know a lot more on September 15th that's for sure.

skers, you are constantly saying how much you support BC and how much you were in favor of firing frank and how much you donate to the program and how keller wont be here and that major should not have been let on the team. You also want BC to be given a free pass to bring his players in here.

Guess what, HIS PLAYERS ARE HERE.

I am not saying that BC doesn't deserve more time than Frank had because he does. He has had to change the entire program from a power game to the wco and I give you the fact the the talent level he was given was not what we needed in either system.

You helped bring BC here, it is time for you to start looking at the fact that we as fans and supporters of this team will continue to bitch about blown calls and lack luster efforts until it is not so common place.

There are no more excuses for losses like osu last year or the I dont want to get blown out against the top programs like usc last year. This is the year that he needs to start manhandleing teams that are not top programs and this is the year he needs to win some games against top programs.

I get tired of people saying give him more time to get his players. B.S. if he cant get a recruit he wants get better recruiters or start winning the easier games. We lost 5 frickin games last year and should have only lost 2. My expectations will never drop and I will never be satisfied with pulling in the reins when we have a team on the ropes.

THIS IS NEBRASKA FOOTBALL AND IT IS TIME PEOPLE FROM THE LARGEST BOOSTERS TO THE AVERAGE JOE REMEMBER THAT.

Now with that said. I am fully behind BC and where this team is headed, I am just saying my patience will wear thin if I have to keep watching the KU's and the MU's and the osu's pushing us to the limit.

Is BC on a hot seat or should he be on one. In my opinion, right now the answer is NO to both. I truely believe that he will get the job done, but I also firmly believe that it needs to start this year. I do not wear Husker glasses and do not think we will win because we are Nebraska, guess what neither do our opponets and we need to change that. We need to put fear into our opponets and make them believe that they are not going to be able to play with us. I understand that parity has made some schools better and some schools slip. A great coach is the one that wins with the talent he has because he is not so bull headed as to keep trying sh#t that his players cannot do. BC will get this thing turned around and he has my 100% backing but I will not sit back for another 3 or 4 years of this type of 5 loss seasons and not express my opinion about it

i was in lawerence when ku beat N for the first time in 482 years. as i was walking out, with my head held high (and KU fans giving respect) i overheard a contigent of old school football alumns from NU. they said and i quote"well, things were destined to change, but we NEVER lost to KU, at least we have our sell-out streak left." these were guys who aren't trev alberts or broderick thomas, or whatever. they were born and raised in neb and played and given heart to the program. they feel frank being fired was shady but realize it's time to move on. basically, if its going to change, many things need to stay the same. that includes expectations. callahan will succeed because he must. it has been an adjustment for everyone, even old players.

we want long term. we want consistency. we want WCO to produce 8 years in a row to be able to believe. when that happens (and it will, it MUST) we'll be back. we'll be back when streaks are back. we'll be back when others hate and respect at the same time. we'll be back when we 'know'. right now no one knows. but we can be excited because we HAVE expectations. we have a standard. we have loyalty. we have tradition. it matters. screw the term limits and hot seats! tell me you don't think we can win every game and i'll tell you not to watch! i'd rather have high expectations than no expectations at all.

Go Big Red

skers, you are constantly saying how much you support BC and how much you were in favor of firing frank and how much you donate to the program and how keller wont be here and that major should not have been let on the team. You also want BC to be given a free pass to bring his players in here.

Guess what, HIS PLAYERS ARE HERE.

I am not saying that BC doesn't deserve more time than Frank had because he does. He has had to change the entire program from a power game to the wco and I give you the fact the the talent level he was given was not what we needed in either system.

You helped bring BC here, it is time for you to start looking at the fact that we as fans and supporters of this team will continue to bitch about blown calls and lack luster efforts until it is not so common place.

There are no more excuses for losses like osu last year or the I dont want to get blown out against the top programs like usc last year. This is the year that he needs to start manhandleing teams that are not top programs and this is the year he needs to win some games against top programs.

I get tired of people saying give him more time to get his players. B.S. if he cant get a recruit he wants get better recruiters or start winning the easier games. We lost 5 frickin games last year and should have only lost 2. My expectations will never drop and I will never be satisfied with pulling in the reins when we have a team on the ropes.

THIS IS NEBRASKA FOOTBALL AND IT IS TIME PEOPLE FROM THE LARGEST BOOSTERS TO THE AVERAGE JOE REMEMBER THAT.

Now with that said. I am fully behind BC and where this team is headed, I am just saying my patience will wear thin if I have to keep watching the KU's and the MU's and the osu's pushing us to the limit.

Is BC on a hot seat or should he be on one. In my opinion, right now the answer is NO to both. I truely believe that he will get the job done, but I also firmly believe that it needs to start this year. I do not wear Husker glasses and do not think we will win because we are Nebraska, guess what neither do our opponets and we need to change that. We need to put fear into our opponets and make them believe that they are not going to be able to play with us. I understand that parity has made some schools better and some schools slip. A great coach is the one that wins with the talent he has because he is not so bull headed as to keep trying sh#t that his players cannot do. BC will get this thing turned around and he has my 100% backing but I will not sit back for another 3 or 4 years of this type of 5 loss seasons and not express my opinion about it

:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship

First off BigRed Iowan, my coments were not pointed at you.

Frank got six years, is my point.

We are starting our 4th year, that means counting this year we have 3 to see what BC can do.

In Frank's best year after TO's players were gone, that would be his last, we got trounced by teams that were not National level teams. Why does he get the free pass on those. 9-3 over patsies, and bad losses to any team with a pulse.

Frank had four years of TO's players, BC still has Frank's players for another year. After next year will be when I will start to question if the wins are not where I expect them to be. I have no patience for another Ok State game and I have posted that numerous times. But do you feel we could lose to Missouri, in general a lot of people feel we will, is our talent and experience better than theirs. I truly do not know, but I do know that every program out there that has boosters are making efforts to be better. We had a few years where recruiting was poor and the AD realy could have cared less about football. Money was not channeled correctly. But the new administration has made football the priority. We needed that to stap competitive. In todays college football you can not take a day off, we took about 4 years off. It takes time to make up those steps guys, is all I am saying.

Keller, Culbert and a few others are stop gap players. They are not what BC went after. For this program to be successful like some demand, he has to start getting the first choice, not what can be made to fit the program or the ones the top programs pass on. It does appear that this years class is moving in that direction

I have been against any athlete that has questionable backgrounds, it has nothing to do with BC. I felt the same when Tom and Frank were here.

I compare Keller to the DeAngelo Evans situation years back. I hope he proves to be what all hope he is, but in 60 years I have learned very few people change. Some do and I am hoping as much as all of you that he does the job he is capable of.

I never once harped for Frank to be fired. I felt he most likely should have had another year to see what the new staff could have done. But the second he hit the door, I supported the new coach and would have no matter who it was. Trust me BC was not my first choice. I wanted Pat Hill from Fresno State and then Urban Meyers.

But I have always harped on talent, even after the 1997 championship I made coments as to why we were not mentioned by the top rated kids. Michigan then was taking 20% of the top rated kids in the country and we got very few if any. Recruiting became very important at that time. Withe internet information being provided daily, we just never seemed to grasp that. We recruited only what we thought would work in our program, road graders. But they were now being exposed to the NFL via the internet on a daily basis. Show me the money became the cry. If we would have been active at that time in recruiting we may still have been running the Option. We pulled in our horns. That is the main reason Frank is gone!

I will be brief.....Cally needs a bit more time and has my full support. For those who want his head already.....do you really want to go down the Alabama path of hiring a new coach ever few years? That seems like the sure path to nowehere real fast judging by Bamas performance over the years.

Have expectations been lowered...NO....just realalistic expctations for some and not others. The program is showing forward progress each year.