Breaking News -- Maurice Purify.....

I dont know if this has been posted but Sean Callahan thinks the pending loss of Purify will cost us TWO wins next season.

well if NU had to play with 10 players on offense then maybe, but someone will step up and fill the gap nicely.

Or insted of going 12-0 NU goes 10-2

Well, Coach Callahan suspended MO indefinitely so MO has probably got one foot out the door as we speak. I think Callahan will at this point just wait until this whole mess plays out in the courts and base his final punishment on the outcome. MO was only arrested on suspicion of DUI so there is a glimmer of hope. With any luck the charges could be dropped.

I think you're correct. The indefinite suspension - to my thinking - means that Callahan has set out some specific criteria that Mo has to meet to regain his status with the team. I don't know if the outcome in the courts is one of them, given how long those can take, but it certainly could be. And I suspect that he's going to have to have, and show progress in, some kind of substance abuse or alcohol-related program.

I agree completely. I expect Coach Callahan to use some sort of a carrot and a stick approach. Complete a program along with any other requirements and he's back. I think we need to keep a couple of things in mind. Callahan has to determine what's not only best for the team but what's best for Purify. Part of a head football coach's job is to look out after the players and not just throw them under the bus if they can be helped. If Callahan outright kicks MO off the team he'll be at a lower division school by August, still put up monster numbers, and still get into the NFL. If Callahan keeps MO on the team he can at least ensure he gets some sort of counseling. Besides, at this point MO may not even be looking at a conviction.

i agree, hate to throw the kid under the bus, but the integrity of the program must be upheld. at a minimum, IMO, if he is guilty of both counts, he gets a 4 game suspension with community service. somehow we have to get this kids' attention!

The thing is that it's still June right now. There is plenty of time for Mo to get everything in order, fix the problem he has, and rejoin the team. If he can do everything right over the next few months, I say give him a chance. We will see though, hopefully we get some answers about everything over the next week.

I maintain what I was said earlier- either Purify will be totally gone, (unlikely) or he will be back in time for the USC game.

Honestly you guys need to cool down- Purify got caught doing what about 50% of all college kids do anyway. Don't get me wrong, a DUI is a serious offense, but honestly it's not like Purify was dragging his girlfriend by the hair down a fire escape as Scott Frost looked on. Purify is not Lawrence Phillips. The assault charge stemmed from somebody calling Purify the n-word. As a sign of how petty the assault charge was, it was dropped. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Purify is a nice guy who I believe means well- he is not an animal.

I personally heard QB Zac Lee say that Purify will probably not be kicked off the team and should be able to suit up for the USC game.

As a side note, perhaps you should all take a look at yourselves and ask if you have ever done something illegal. Just because you may have a clean record does not mean that you have not committed crimes as well. Ever had one too many and drove just a few blocks home? You're every bit as guilty of that crime as Purify. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, let alone slit his throat or whatever else has been discussed.

I think that Purify is a good natured guy, and now he will have one DUI on his record... that's it. Calls for his ouster are premature.

I maintain what I was said earlier- either Purify will be totally gone, (unlikely) or he will be back in time for the USC game.

Honestly you guys need to cool down- Purify got caught doing what about 50% of all college kids do anyway. Don't get me wrong, a DUI is a serious offense, but honestly it's not like Purify was dragging his girlfriend by the hair down a fire escape as Scott Frost looked on. Purify is not Lawrence Phillips. The assault charge stemmed from somebody calling Purify the n-word. As a sign of how petty the assault charge was, it was dropped. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Purify is a nice guy who I believe means well- he is not an animal.

I personally heard QB Zac Lee say that Purify will probably not be kicked off the team and should be able to suit up for the USC game.

As a side note, perhaps you should all take a look at yourselves and ask if you have ever done something illegal. Just because you may have a clean record does not mean that you have not committed crimes as well. Ever had one too many and drove just a few blocks home? You're every bit as guilty of that crime as Purify. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, let alone slit his throat or whatever else has been discussed.

I think that Purify is a good natured guy, and now he will have one DUI on his record... that's it. Calls for his ouster are premature.

:worship Good points all around.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but you're wrong about the assault charge being dropped. By accepting the pre-trial diverson he is admitting some degree of guilt. Heck, the legal process for that wasn't even finished so it's unclear where that situation stands right now. Yes, the DUI isn't enough to hang him for on its own, the problem is that it came right on the heels of the previous incident, which IMO, was far more unforgivable than the DUI, and it shows a pattern of irresponsibility.

The thing that's hurting him imo is that these things have happened within 5 weeks of eachother. Sure, each one is bad on its own, but the fact that they happened like this is hurting him much worse than it would have if it would have been a year apart. Just a bad time to be Mo right now it seems.

the problem i have with this kid is, in less than what, 5 weeks, he screws up again? THAT shows me his head isn't on straight yet. as far as what Lee said, you think Zac has the scoop on cally's discipline plan? i doubt that. no, Mo is not thinking correctly, has an alcohol problem or both, take your pick. if he was remorseful for the first offense, he would have been extra careful to avoid any other problems, instead he backslides to poor judgement or back to drinking and driving. i for one am getting a little tired of his antics. it is getting harder by the day to make excuses for him.

Would you guys say that if either of these events happened separately that they would individually deserve a suspension? I don't think so at all. The fact that they both happened within a short span makes me believe a small suspension is needed but nothing major.

so since the incidents happened in close proximity (time wise) to one another, we are to reward him with a lesser punishment? how does that make sense? would you give your own kid a break like this? what would it teach him?? this makes no sense to me at all.