NU to the Big 10?

The Big XII needs to stay alive. We can not go to the Little Eleven. We are not that culturally/geographically connected with any of the little eleven schools outside of iowa (granted, iowa city is on the east side of the state). the Little Eleven "prides" itself on being "Research Institutions," and would never recognize NU as such. whatever. another day.

CU, yeah there has been talk, but when you think about it it does make a little sense because it does seem to be culturally on-par with the west coast. thats just my perception, and i am by no means an expert on Colorado culture. i just go ski like everybody else. Also, CU is the only Big XII school that isnt in the Central Time Zone. if that makes any big difference, i leave that judgment to you. But CU has to go IMO. they are broke and have the minimal NCAA Division 1 Sports. They are the black sheep of the conference.

Baylor is a good school for things outside of Football. From a football standpoint, it might be a good idea to pick up a team that has had a little more success in recent years. But this isnt fantasy football league where you can just form conferences on a whim. Baylor is a strong baseball school at least. Keep em around.

Lets say the Big XII drops CU, and picks up another school located in the south. who would it be? Wont be Arkansas, too much $$$ in the SEC. Im not sure, but if it was a school like TCU, or a school that is further south than Stillwater OK, you would have to assume the divisions would look something like this

North:

NU, OSU, MU, KU, KSU, ISU

South:

UT, aTm, BU, OU, Tech, (New School here)

If i'm not mistaken, i think Baylor came in second for the most Big 12 championships this year in all sports.

ISU also just win the NC in wrestling too i think.

Can't look at everything from a football standpoint, or any one single sport. Basketball wise, i don't think the other teams would mind shucking us in favor of some MVC teams.

MN won the wrestling National Championship this past year. IMO, recruiting would not be to incredibly hurt by joining them. We would be playing in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. These guys bring in big names....Ohio is one of the hot spots.

Having the Huskers in the Little 11 would be good for me since I live in Little 11 territory. I think if Texas and sCUm leave so be it. The Big XII will just have find two teams to replace them.

I dont think anything like this would ever happen ( and I'd never want it to), but it's interesting to see what the Huskers would do in such a top-heavy conference. I realize the Big XII is top heavy as well (OU, UT), but I think that Michigan and OSU wouldn't do nearly as well playing against teams like Mizzou and Okie State instead of Northwestern and Indiana.

Also, someone (pigsonthewing I think) brought up dropping a school (Baylor) and adding TCU for the sake of football prowess. I dont know if that's a good idea, but it's an interesting one. This happened with the ACC way back in the day. They had no football school because they were strictly a basketball conference (Wake, UNC, Duke, etc.) and then they went out and got Florida State. TCU is a proven winner, and they can hang with (and beat) the best of them, as we saw when they beat the Sooners two years back. Obviously with a conference as big as the Big XII there is more to think about than just football, but I still thought it was an interesting idea.

OK,

Nothing is happening to the XII. This is just a period of adjustment for this conference just as every conference has gone through at some point. I wonder if there was talk about teams moving around in 1999 when the Pacific 10 was absolutely horrendous. Hell the Rose Bowl team was Stanford at 8-4, the best team in the XII last year was OU at 11-2.

Also, every conference is top heavy. Sure, if you listen to the bloviates they might tell you how great the SEC is but they still have Vandy, Ole Miss and Kentucky to push around. And out here the Pac 10 honks forget that Stanford is the worst team in D-1. Or Washington for that matter.

• 3 years later...

I really could never see this happening, I'm sure the Big-XII does well with revenue income. If anybody should even out the Big Ten it should be Iowa State or Missouri.

Hahaha...this is awesome. Very fun to read how everyone has seemed to change theirs opinions. Iowa St Missouri........

You can't really blame anyone in this thread that posted almost 4 years ago. It just shows how little we knew how the Big XII was being ran, or how well in terms of tradition, revenue, University and the State could benefit from a move to the Big Ten.

An interesting read though nonetheless.