ATH Eric Harper

Player: Eric Harper

Hometown: Marrero, LA

Position: In HS played inside and outside linebacker, defensive end and was used at strong safety, tight end, wide receiver, running back, quarterback and as a kick returner.

Height: 6’4.5”

Weight: 225

40 time: 4.68

Visit Date: NA - Committed to the Cornhuskers without having seen their Lincoln campus except for pictures via the school's Web site. Harper's lone unofficial visit was to LSU.

Scholarships offered: Texas A&M and Mississippi State -- and had strong interest from LSU, Tulane, Auburn, Kansas and Louisiana Tech

Favorites: Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NA

Bid Red Report: NA

Notes: At 19, Harper has exceeded the age limit to play in the Louisiana High School Athletic Association, but he is qualified academically to receive an NCAA scholarship and will do so once he earns his high school diploma this winter,

Quotes: "I just liked what I heard from Nebraska -- I chose Nebraska because they have great tradition and a great history of (fielding) championship teams," Harper said. "They're a great academic school, also. As far as field work and school work, they put you right where you need to be. They're really dedicated to their football players."

Assessing the talent: A tall, rangy performer who played seven positions in 2006 and earned All-Metro honors as a linebacker.

Press: Nola.com

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 95% (currently a verbal commit) -- graduates HS in Dec '07, will be in Lincoln in Jan.

In HS played inside and outside linebacker, defensive end and was used at strong safety, tight end, wide receiver, running back, quarterback and as a kick returner.

Wow, talk about versatile. Any idea what position he'll end up with us? Rivals bio :clap

What he didn't punt, take tickets, sell programs, work concessions and help with parking? slacker....

Interesting pick up. What's up with the Louisiana anti fifth year senior policy? At least he should be "fresh" from the year off but the lack of reps could be an issue.

i think that the policy is the same here in Nebraska also. if you turn 19 prior to the beginning of the school year you are ineligible to play sports that year.

now if he had turned 19 the day after school started he would have been ok.

While I don't know the whole situation and I could be wrong, but I personally have to consider him a soft commitment since he hasn't even visited Lincoln. Should we accept commitments from those who haven't visited the city and campus?

I think that is how all commits who have yet to visit and are going to visit other schools should be listed as, with some exceptions of course.

with his size and speed and althletic ability he might work out better as a TE instead of LB. especially since we have already landed a few LB's and are still in the running for a couple more

Absolutely. Hell he gets here in Jan so he will have 9 months to gain 15 pounds (6-5 240) and since he played multiple offensive positions that is a good indicator he may be football smart. At least I hope so, the fact that hes 19 is a good indicator he may not be book smart so keep an eye on him for accademic eligebility issues as the season goes on.

Absolutely. Hell he gets here in Jan so he will have 9 months to gain 15 pounds (6-5 240) and since he played multiple offensive positions that is a good indicator he may be football smart. At least I hope so, the fact that hes 19 is a good indicator he may not be book smart so keep an eye on him for accademic eligebility issues as the season goes on.

I hate when people just say o just put 15 pounds on the kid and he could play a different position, it take a lot to gain a lot of weight and still have the balance and speed to do what he does best. I would like to see you add 15 pounds and do everything the same.

My guess: 19 + only three full years of high school + lives in LA = a lot to do with hurricane katrina

That is exactly what I was thinking must have happend

I wonder if this kid will be considered a juco or high school since he can't play this year