Nebraska Vs Notre Dame

we have the most academic all americans. they are a distant second, though. i think they're admission standards are tougher as are the requirements to reach certain degrees. my wife's friend went there and she got her masters and she said it was REALLY hard. however, i think the sciences and technology sectors at UNL are some industry leading. others can be more specific probably.

we have the most academic all americans. they are a distant second, though. i think they're admission standards are tougher as are the requirements to reach certain degrees. my wife's friend went there and she got her masters and she said it was REALLY hard. however, i think the sciences and technology sectors at UNL are some industry leading. others can be more specific probably.

Just because UNL has the most academic all-americans doesn't mean that the standards are anywhere near that of ND. I'm sure a lot of those graduated with 'general studies' or something of the sort. Two people walk in for a job interview...one has a degree from UNL one has a degree from ND...I'm gonna say that the ND grad has a leg up on the job immediately.

(And yes....I'm a UNL alum)

Just because UNL has the most academic all-americans doesn't mean that the standards are anywhere near that of ND. I'm sure a lot of those graduated with 'general studies' or something of the sort. Two people walk in for a job interview...one has a degree from UNL one has a degree from ND...I'm gonna say that the ND grad has a leg up on the job immediately.

I think NU's lack of a 'Touchdown Jesus' hurts alumni in the workplace.........

I think NU's lack of a 'Touchdown Jesus' hurts alumni in the workplace.........

NICE!!! :lol::corndance

Imo, there's not much of a difference at the undergrad level from school to school. This includes places like Harvard and Yale. The only real advantage they give is on paper.

I'm sure there are some exceptions here and there, but for the part, at the undergrad level, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Overall there's not much difference between NU, UM, ND, OU, UCLA, etc.

The graduate level is where the real differences are.

Imo, there's not much of a difference at the undergrad level from school to school. This includes places like Harvard and Yale. The only real advantage they give is on paper.

I'm sure there are some exceptions here and there, but for the part, at the undergrad level, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Overall there's not much difference between NU, UM, ND, OU, UCLA, etc.

Good point.

When I was in college at UNL in the mid-90's, there was a huge difference between schools at the under grad. level. For instance, I had friends who went to Doane and Weslyan. They couldn't believe how pud our classes were at UNL. I took Physics where a 56% was the highest I ever received on a test. I ended up with an A in the class due to the curve. I don't know anything about Notre Dame at all, but I will tell you that I had friends who could barely read receive a degree from UNL. College at UNL was just like life, it's not a matter of what you know it's a matter of who you know. Anyone remember the Victor Day easy A chemistry class? There is quite a few people who don't make it at UNL, but they're also the ones who never went to class and missed tests and quizzes. I'm sure most all Land Grant Universities are this way. However, I do know that private schools like Weslyan, School of Minds, etc. are significantly harder than UNL. Where that puts Notre Dame, I don't have any idea.

I'm gonna say that the ND grad has a leg up on the job immediately.

Not in my experience. Or not as much as you would think. It might make a difference to the recruiters, but once the applicant scored the interview, school mattered little. Some companies (P&G) actually just give a test and if you score high enough, you get called back for an interview. I suppose for certain majors it makes a bigger difference (Finance?).

The only time schools definitely came in to play in our hiring (besides making fun of dumb Harvard grads and being wary of hiring Ohio U grads) is the starting salary. Notre Dame was probably in Tier 2 or 3 and most state schools would be in Tier 3 or 4. (The Ivy League grads are Tier 1.) Other companies might be different, but in my experience school didn't matter. Yes, even if it was Devry.

Academic All Americans are great, but as people mentioned in previous posts, it's the admission requirements and the level of the professors that make ND an inherently tougher school. I think the "mystique" and all the media bullsh#t plays into it to some degree, but either way I think it's going to be a tougher go than UNL.

I went to Iowa State my freshmen year and it was a joke. I transferred to a Christian private school and had to bust my ass to get a 2.75 GPA. Whether that's the case with ND/UNL is unknown, but I'm just speaking from my personal experience.

Couldn't disagree with you more on the leg up thing!!!! Just because you have a degree from let's say UCLA or Wisconsin doesn't mean your degree is any better than mine from a smaller 4 year school. What matters is what is the degree study in and also what was your GPA when you graduated!!! Sure you have a degree from UCLA with a 2.80 GPA and I have mine from William Penn University in the same studies, but at a 3.85 GPA the difference is clear?

I chose UNL because I loved what they had to offer. My whole family attended Baylor University and my grandfather got his Master's and Doctorate from the University of North Texas. Those were my top 3 schools and Nebraska didn't come into the picture until about a month ago. It was always either Baylor or North Texas...I had decided on North Texas, but then I decided I wanted to visit Lincoln to check out the school. I went there and I really liked it. I felt comfortable and Nebraska offered some strong academic courses and some things I really felt would benefit me. I ended up deciding to go to Nebraska over Baylor and North Texas.

After visiting the campus and learning about what UNL really had to offer outside of a pretty damn good athletic program lol, I realized it was the place for me and it was a really great school. As for ND, no clue. I would never go to a catholic school, especially since my whole family went to Baylor. :)

I know a lot of recruits talk about how great notre dame is academically. How does nebraska compare to notre dame when it comes to academic quality.

Rudy was able to make it through Notre Dame working odd jobs at night and spending his days as a walk-on. So Notre Dame must not be very tough, right? :)

Notre Dame and Michigan are much more solid academically, IMO. That doesn't mean a guy who goes there to play and concentrate on football is going to come close to taking advantage of that.

I agree..............very rarely do you come across a guy like Dane Todd who gets a 4.0 and is going to go to medical school. <_<