“For the first time in my life,” ...“I think there are going to be fewer than 15,000 Nebraska

MU fans hope Huskers are shut out of tickets

By MIKE DEARMOND

T hat sea of red that has so often washed over Memorial Stadium when Nebraska plays a football game at Missouri may only be a relative puddle this year.

“For the first time in my life,” said Joe DeSimone, a gleeful Missouri fan from Lee’s Summit, “I think there are going to be fewer than 15,000 Nebraska fans at Faurot Field.”

Try no more than 8,000 according to some estimates for an Oct. 6 game that is — except for a few tickets being held back for Tiger Scholarship Fund and new season ticket holders — a sellout.

And according to DeSimone, Nebraska fans have only a few of their own number to blame.

Last week, some Nebraska fans flooded a Missouri internet Web site with messages. That ticked off DeSimone, a frequent poster on message boards.

“These arrogant Nebraska fans,” DeSimone said, “they think they’re so entitled to be great because they were once great.”

And so he personally mounted a campaign to help sell tickets to Missouri fans and to promote more MU fans to buy multiple tickets by joining the Tiger Scholarship Fund.

On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, the MU ticket office and the TSF office were flooded by MU fans answering DeSimone’s call.

Just how many Cornhusker fans will eventually make it into Memorial Stadium on Oct. 6 is hard to pin down.

MU guaranteed a ticket allotment to Nebraska of only 3,850 tickets. Those have all been sold. At 5 p.m. Friday, 4,000 tickets went on sale via the internet, and DeSimone said he had been told that more than half of those tickets — all gone now — went to MU fans.

MU’s ticket office and the TSF fund are holding around 10,000 single-game tickets for late-buying season-ticket or TSF donors. Of that number, MU officials say that 7,000 would be for seating on the grass on the hill behind the north goal posts or in temporary bleachers on the North concourse.

Anticipating that most of those remaining seats are sold to MU fans, DeSimone positively cackles over the possibility that a game seen as key to winning the Big 12 North could possibly have 62,000 out of a projected 70,000 screaming for the Tigers and against the Cornhuskers.

Season-ticket rush

Vince Volpe, head of the TSF, told The Star that as of now, Missouri has sold “just a hair under 28,000 season tickets.

“And you’ll get 6,000 to 7,000, maybe even 8,000 more, once the students come back and get their tickets and the student sports passes,” Volpe said.

That would give MU a school-record season-ticket total of between 34,000 and 36,000 for the upcoming season.

Big freakin' deal. They could pack that entire stadium with not an ounce of red to offset the black. It won't make any difference. We're going to kill Mizzery to death inside of two quarters. We're going to run through them like a canon through a waterfall.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

We were going to go, but I have since found out that I have a wedding to go to Friday night and saturday that weekend. I have a friend getting her doctorate at MU and she buys them from the MU alottment. There were plenty of Husker fans that did the same and sat in the same section as us. I think this joker is going to be sorely disappointed if he expects only 8,000 Huskers at the stadium. If there are any tickets for sale on ebay, you better believe Husker fans will buy them. After going to the game in Columbia 2 years ago, I hate Misspoo more than any other school and I would love to be there to shove it in their inbred faces. Isn't it a man-law to not have a wedding the same day as a Husker game? Who are these people?

I thought the idiocy of Tiger fans was limited to those obsessed with us at TigerBoard and the admin over at the Mizzou Rivals site. Obviously, the whole fan base is consumed with Nebraska right now.

You gotta love it in a way though, because even now, when we are considered to be 'mediocre', they are still striving to be as good as we are.

But they can buy all the tickets they want, they can even hope and pray Nebraska fans don't show up. But the fact is, money talks and those Nebraska fans will be in that stadium regardless.

They also need to be worried about finding a defense that can stop someone, much less our offense. :)