Question for all on Bill Callahan

I don't think so. Coaches either leave for another job or get fired all the time while still under contract. Really, a contract extension doesn't mean much. Wasn't Solich still under contract when he was fired? If he's highly successful, I believe he somehow finds his way back into the NFL. If he continues to struggle especially on the road, the first step will be firing assitants. The second step will be him getting fired. However, I don't ever see the day he gets fired unless Pud is gone. If we see Pud resign within the next few years, I think it would be naive to think BC's job is secure. I don't know how long BC will coach here, but I have never thought he'd finish his coaching career here at NU no matter how much or how little success he has.

My question is this: If we get handled by USC and Texas, how many think Coz's job will be in jeapardy for 2008?

This is another hopelessly old topic. Here's what it burns down to, and there should not be any more posts after mine because as far as I'm concerned, this is the best we can do as a community.

Bill Callahan has said, repeatedly, until he's blue in the face, that he likes where he's at, he likes the community, he loves the job and the players, and he has no intention of leaving even if the opportunity presents itself. The man is 51, has a family, is making nice, steady money, and is surrounded by the greatest fanbase in the football world. As far as I'm concerned, Nebraska is the top.

Now for all you out there who want to be privy to suspicion and general cynicism, that's your perogative. But the best we can do is go by what the man himself says. He wants to be where he's at. He's not glancing at the clock or edging towards the door. And he's no spring chicken. He'll be 56 years old by the time his contract extension runs out. Yes, there's some years left, but if you and your family are comortable, you love what you do, and are successful at it, what more can you ask out of life?

Just my opinion, but please, I just don't know if I could weather another 6 page thread on a dead and usnolvable issue.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

I don't know if he will finish his career at NU or not, but one of the big reasons for the extension is for recruiting. If you know the coach has a contract through 2011, you feel safe that he and his staff will be there when you commit.

:yeah nice post

With Cally getting a 3 year extension, I propose a simple question to you all.

Does Callahan finish his coaching career at Nebraska?

Discuss

Lets hope so. That would mean he had a great carrier here. I like him and he seems to be getting the recruits, or at least has them thinking about playing for the Huskers. That shows he's at least getting his foot in the door.

GBR!!!

Are you serious? Of course he would leave even with a no buyout clause. He would just get more in his NFL contract since they would be buying him out. Second, if I had 1 penny for everytime someone said they weren't leaving I would have more money than the per capita income of Lincoln. His words about staying mean nothing and like I hope...he is fired anyway. For examples see Bobby Petrino, Nick Sabin, and Billy Donovan if we just go back 6 months.

There is no reason to think a contract means anything other than to assist in recruiting. Having "no intention of leaving" and "liking where he is at" means NOTHING because he didn't say...I will NOT leave regardless of the situation. I love it here and plan on staying here even when I am done coaching. say that and maybe I will believe him.