Cally's strategy for the USC game

Last year, it appeared that BC didn't have a lot of confidence in his team as it faced USC. The game plan was to run the ball and try to shorten the game by taking time off the clock. I think that he stuck with the running game to reduce the chances of turn-overs that accrue through a passing game and then hope (pray) that our defense could come up with some turnovers. It was very conservative. Fans were griping that Cally wouldn't air it out and give his team a chance to win. I actually didn't mind the game plan for the first half of the game because I thought that his plan gave us the best chance to win; however, by the middle of the third quarter, I was scratching my head trying to understand why Cally stuck with the ground game when we NEEDED TO PASS.

I would be pissed if he replicated that game plan when we play USC at home. At the onset of the game, I would like to see him take chances down the field, test out their secondary, and, in general, mix it up. Why not chuck the ball down the field to Purify a few times in the game and let Mo make some plays? I would like to see some more creativity in the running game, as well. I hope that we use all our backs in one capacity or another - because I'm not sold that Lucky is our best back.

On defense, I hope Cosgrove is planning to rush 4 or 5 constantly to provide pressure on Booty . If you give Booty time, it's going to be get lopsided - in USC's favor - quickly.

I suppose it's easy to pontificate about what the Huskers should do, but doubt that's how a game plan is developed. I don't know much about it but I would think the first question is what is the most effective way to attack USC or get an advantage. There's not going to be loads of weaknesses but they aren't perfect either. Even if there aren't true weaknesses they're weaker in some areas than others. Find those areas and attack them there.

I can see us spreading it out early to see if we can come up with a big play to start the game. Lucky will likely be used in a variety of ways. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 trick play.

I would love the see the half back pass from Nebraska for one of first 10 plays of the game. This would catch them off guard and give some momentum for the start of the game.

I can see us spreading it out early to see if we can come up with a big play to start the game. Lucky will likely be used in a variety of ways. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 trick play.

I would love the see the half back pass from Nebraska for one of first 10 plays of the game. This would catch them off guard and give some momentum for the start of the game.

The funny thing is that it seems teams all across the country are using that play more than ever before and we were the first ones to start using it last season???

cally's play calling will be critical. being the least bit predictable, as someone mentioned in another post, will get us nowhere.

i would expect us to throw a lot of short and out or half back passes on first down to start the game. adjustments against a defense with superior talent will be critical from that point forward.

The only thing I have learned about Callahan is that I have no idea what he is goind to do each game.

In a way, that could be a good thing. Hopefully the teams we play are as lost as you and me when it comes to his game strategy.

Your right in saying Cally is unpredictable up untill game time. However, one thing i have noticed is he either has a run based game plan or a pass based game plan. I have yet to see one that is supposedly balanced. By the time the 3rd qtr rolls around USC will already know what play is coming before BC does. I hope BC has some sort of brilliant coming out party, maybe he has been hiding in a shell for the last couple years. Unfortunately, i think his offense is based solely on execution even if the other team knows what is coming. He has no desire to try and catch the other team off guard, unless it is a gadget play. Untill we get the superior athletes, we will continue to struggle with mediocre teams that run deceit based game plans. Cally has no intention of trying to hide what he is doing. If Purify and Nunn are on the field = pass. If we have 3 TE = run. No playaction no counters, just straight ahead show what we are doing and try to stop us. :hmmph

BC better not try and just pound the rock this year. I would think USC's D is much better than Wake's, and pounding the rock didn't happen at all. The biggest shock to me was the fact that our run D looked horrible at Wake. In Wake's first game against Boston College, I believe they had like -2 yards rushing. We made them look All American. USC will make our front 4 and LB's look even more foolish than Wake did unless Coz can pull some tricks out of his hat. If I hadn't known the date, I'd have swore Bohl was on the sideline coaching the D.

We're gonna have to pass against USC, that's all there is to it. IMO, we're gonna have to pass in order to open up the run. The OL is going to have to do a better job than they did against Wake. If they can't open up some running lanes and can't protect Keller any better than they did against Wake, it's going to be a mightly long afternoon in Lincoln.

I think we all were looking through rose colored glasses after the Nevada game. We got brought back to reality against Wake playing them with their backup QB with little to no game experience before we came to town. The guys had better buckle down and get focused (Purify) or it will be simply ugly on Saturday. I'm kind of glad we got grounded last Saturday before we played USC. It lets us know exactly where we stand. Marlon Lucky will not win the Heisman, and neither will Keller. They both have a lot of things to work on not only this week but for the remainder of the season. We're not there yet. There are still lots of things to work on. Btw, I thought our secondary played pretty well. Our LB's looked about as lost as they were against CU in 01'. We can still win this game against USC, but we can't win it if we look as dull as we did against Wake. We can't have some guys playing well and others playing poorly to have a chance against USC.