Fire Cosgrove

I was wondering when this topic was going to get started.

Did you take a guess? Were you right? That's a very interesting comment.

Im glad that losing to the number one team doesnt make you touchy

No, it's when people post in a thread simply to suggest that the thread is pointless or tired. Is there anything more pointless than going into a pointless conversation to say how pointless it is?

And it's not losing, it getting destroyed and made to look like children. I actually wasn't upset about the game until I came here and saw how ready people are to blame the players while giving the coaches a pass. The denial and up-sucking is what drives me crazy. I never expected to win, I thought that 10 point line was even a little excessive. Friday night, I was on the road at about midnight and was listening to a national show on 590AM and the host made a somewhat joking comment about it being funny to turn on the game and see USC smacking NU down 41-10. I thought that guy was insane.

No, the #14 team should not, under normal circumstances, beat the #1 team if those rankings are at all accurate, but they should at least show up. And those 21 points in the 4th... yeah, suddenly there was a revelation to the coaching staff and players and they found the weakness of the USC defense but, alas, the enlightenment came tragically late.

USC could handle just about anyone outside of the top 5, definitely outside of the top 10, without much trouble... but 42-10? 35 unanswered points? There is something tragically wrong with our defense and that needs to be discussed in a real way. If people don't think it's important, then they don't need to involve themselves, that's fine. Enjoy not talking about it, have your coffee and whatever and move on. But why jump into a thread to pretend that the topic is so predictable and tired that it doesn't need to be discussed? Are we just supposed to think that Coz is the best choice for DC because he wears a red shirt with an N on it?

I love our stadium sell out record and I would hate to see that streak end, too (it's the only one we have left... now that we've lost to kansas), but there needs to be a way for the husker nation to voice its displeasure. But since they're, quite literally, the only game in town, anyone who gets rid of their season tickets will see them snatched up immediately. I don't know if I think a boycott is the answer... maybe someone could sell some "Fire Coz" shirts (or as an historical allusion Coz could market his own "I Hate The Coz" Ts) and see how well they do. An informal poll to be sure, but it would demonstrate something.

Sure, he might not have the BEST players, but he has a lot of decent ones, together they should be able to make up a unit that can do well against Wake Forest and give a ranked team a game worth playing. How long before *we're* the cupcake team that gets on the schedule early in the sea.... oh wait, that just happened with USC!

There is an attitude around here that creates an identity between fandom and blind acceptance that sickens me.

And fine, I'll just say it, I would like to have Solich back if he could have Bo with him. I think that coaching staff deserved at least another year because they were starting to turn the program around. Solich, I think, did finally see what he was doing to the program and brought in some good coaches. They took a team that was utterly destroyed by CU the year before and turned them into something with promise.

The clock can't be turned back, but we were able to see the effectiveness of a good coach on a previously poor-performing squad. I think lessons can be learned from that. No, don't fire the whole coaching staff because putting 17 legit points on USC at this point in the program's history is pretty admirable (though not ideal). But giving them 49? Stupid.

P.S. F**K all you fair weather fans that left early................ :angry: Fans stay to support thier team, spectators leave when it stops being fun. If you want to be a spectator, SC is on a nice run so go join the bandwagon with all the other fakes.

:yeah

:yeah

Although I did feel a little obsessive trying to explain to Buckeye37 (my Wife) why I was still taping the game after the 3rd Quarter..

I wanted to say, "Since you cut me off...This is all I have".

Then I thought, "It Builds Character"..or.."You never know..We still might pull it out..And what would I do if I didn't record the greatest comeb...ah...never mind"

I finally just said, "You Fair weather Big-11 fans would never understand".

Hey, if we made that second 2-pt conversion, we would have been within 16...and then, we recover the onside, punch in another one quick, get the other two point conversion, it's a one score game with about 10 seconds on the clock. Another onside kick...hey, who knows.

Why was the run defense non existent tonight? Did Cosgrove forget to teach them about stopping the run and making tackles? USC just toyed with Nebraska's defense. The D-Line got pushed around so much it wasn't even funny. Giving 49 points and getting blown out at home calls for a firing. Isn't this the kind of game that got Frank and his staff fired? So why don't we just fire that idiot Cosgrove and get a defensive coordinator who knows a thing or two about coaching a football team? Cosgrove never has been a good coach for any team. His defenses have always been mediocre. And tonight it just plain sucked.

This is definitely the kind of game that got Craig Bohl fired.

Exactly. 62-36 may have popped into people's minds yesterday. The Cosgrove/Bohl mindset have the LBs too close to the line so they CAN'T react and the opposing RBs are free to run able through the wide gaps. While Rudd and McKeon are average even Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis would be handicapped in this scheme.

Why was the run defense non existent tonight? Did Cosgrove forget to teach them about stopping the run and making tackles? USC just toyed with Nebraska's defense. The D-Line got pushed around so much it wasn't even funny. Giving 49 points and getting blown out at home calls for a firing. Isn't this the kind of game that got Frank and his staff fired? So why don't we just fire that idiot Cosgrove and get a defensive coordinator who knows a thing or two about coaching a football team? Cosgrove never has been a good coach for any team. His defenses have always been mediocre. And tonight it just plain sucked.

This is definitely the kind of game that got Craig Bohl fired.

Exactly. 62-36 may have popped into people's minds yesterday. The Cosgrove/Bohl mindset have the LBs too close to the line so they CAN'T react and the opposing RBs are free to run able through the wide gaps. While Rudd and McKeon are average even Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis would be handicapped in this scheme.

I have read a lot of COZ needs to go because of his schemes. I think your the first to actually offer up a bit of why his schemes are bad.

I was wondering when this topic was going to get started.

Did you take a guess? Were you right? That's a very interesting comment.

Im glad that losing to the number one team doesnt make you touchy

No, it's when people post in a thread simply to suggest that the thread is pointless or tired. Is there anything more pointless than going into a pointless conversation to say how pointless it is?

And it's not losing, it getting destroyed and made to look like children. I actually wasn't upset about the game until I came here and saw how ready people are to blame the players while giving the coaches a pass. The denial and up-sucking is what drives me crazy. I never expected to win, I thought that 10 point line was even a little excessive. Friday night, I was on the road at about midnight and was listening to a national show on 590AM and the host made a somewhat joking comment about it being funny to turn on the game and see USC smacking NU down 41-10. I thought that guy was insane.

No, the #14 team should not, under normal circumstances, beat the #1 team if those rankings are at all accurate, but they should at least show up. And those 21 points in the 4th... yeah, suddenly there was a revelation to the coaching staff and players and they found the weakness of the USC defense but, alas, the enlightenment came tragically late.

USC could handle just about anyone outside of the top 5, definitely outside of the top 10, without much trouble... but 42-10? 35 unanswered points? There is something tragically wrong with our defense and that needs to be discussed in a real way. If people don't think it's important, then they don't need to involve themselves, that's fine. Enjoy not talking about it, have your coffee and whatever and move on. But why jump into a thread to pretend that the topic is so predictable and tired that it doesn't need to be discussed? Are we just supposed to think that Coz is the best choice for DC because he wears a red shirt with an N on it?

I love our stadium sell out record and I would hate to see that streak end, too (it's the only one we have left... now that we've lost to kansas), but there needs to be a way for the husker nation to voice its displeasure. But since they're, quite literally, the only game in town, anyone who gets rid of their season tickets will see them snatched up immediately. I don't know if I think a boycott is the answer... maybe someone could sell some "Fire Coz" shirts (or as an historical allusion Coz could market his own "I Hate The Coz" Ts) and see how well they do. An informal poll to be sure, but it would demonstrate something.

Sure, he might not have the BEST players, but he has a lot of decent ones, together they should be able to make up a unit that can do well against Wake Forest and give a ranked team a game worth playing. How long before *we're* the cupcake team that gets on the schedule early in the sea.... oh wait, that just happened with USC!

There is an attitude around here that creates an identity between fandom and blind acceptance that sickens me.

And fine, I'll just say it, I would like to have Solich back if he could have Bo with him. I think that coaching staff deserved at least another year because they were starting to turn the program around. Solich, I think, did finally see what he was doing to the program and brought in some good coaches. They took a team that was utterly destroyed by CU the year before and turned them into something with promise.

The clock can't be turned back, but we were able to see the effectiveness of a good coach on a previously poor-performing squad. I think lessons can be learned from that. No, don't fire the whole coaching staff because putting 17 legit points on USC at this point in the program's history is pretty admirable (though not ideal). But giving them 49? Stupid.

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

Poor tackling was the problem tonight, not scheme. Very often we were in the right spot on the running plays, just unable to bring the RB down.

Our lines on both sides of the ball were unable to move anyone. SC controled the line, thus the game. Coz and the players pretty much share the blame on this one.

I'm sorry... I watched the game, albeit on a small television, but I never once... not once... not even once saw one of our linebackers hit that running back coming through the middle. Not once all night. I saw Green trying to take him down... Bowman... and some other D-backs... but not once did I see McKeon or Ruud making a hit and not tackling. They just were nonexistent. I think I saw Octavien run after one, but not one met him in the middle like a LB is supposed to do. It was just weird. When we ran up the middle... all three linebackers were there waiting. Ours were morons.

And I do blame Cos... because if they are that bad... then they either shouldn't play or they should be better trained.

I'm new here, so be kind . . .

I've been a supporter of Bill C. since he was hired. My problem with Frank S. was that we knew when we would lose. Frank S.'s game plans brought no surprises, and we would lose fairly predictably to certain teams. Once behind, there was no getting the lead back.

I liked the concept of the west coast offense. It provided more versatility and more adaptability to game situations. It should, anyway, that that isn't how it has evolved.

Right now, I see that we are paying a head coach $1.7 million per year for a severely mediocre performance. Our bang for the buck must be in the Bottom Ten by now. Let alone the very idea of paying a stupid football coach that much money; he hasn't performed, and in any other industry (and NU football is certainly part of an industry), he would have been fired.

And, as I said, I supported him up until yesterday.

We have been hearing about the fine recruits that he has brought to NU. Uh, WHERE ARE THEY?

I still see too many Ruuds and such. Where is the talent?

Although Coz and his staff are obviously doing a poor job of outright coaching, you would think that talented players would have had the initiative to step up to the task occasionally, even sans coaching. That never happened last night. Are NU players (especially defense) really that inept?

Can our offensive line actually be that bad? Where are the new recruits? And don't give me that stuff about "learning the system." SC played a freshman at center last night, and he ate our lunch for us.

Our O-line is SO BAD that we can't even really make an honest assessment of our running backs. I don't know if they're good or medicre, since they really don't get a shot at running the ball. Same with the QB; he was hurried on virtually every passing play.

That NU team last night was solidly mediocre, but we have a $1.7 million coach. At that salary, he shouldn't get the benefit of a doubt. He should show performance.

Again, where is the NU talent?

There, I've had my rant.

Poor tackling was the problem tonight, not scheme. Very often we were in the right spot on the running plays, just unable to bring the RB down.

Our lines on both sides of the ball were unable to move anyone. SC controled the line, thus the game. Coz and the players pretty much share the blame on this one.

I'm sorry... I watched the game, albeit on a small television, but I never once... not once... not even once saw one of our linebackers hit that running back coming through the middle. Not once all night. I saw Green trying to take him down... Bowman... and some other D-backs... but not once did I see McKeon or Ruud making a hit and not tackling. They just were nonexistent. I think I saw Octavien run after one, but not one met him in the middle like a LB is supposed to do. It was just weird. When we ran up the middle... all three linebackers were there waiting. Ours were morons.

And I do blame Cos... because if they are that bad... then they either shouldn't play or they should be better trained.

I seem to remember another game, the defensed coached by a man with a tiny head, and in it the LBs ran to the side lines for no apparent reason. The only reason I wasn't as angry last night is because I'm getting too used to seeing losses. Once they had doubled up on us it was pretty clearly over, but there was a glimmer of hope. Once they had (TD+PAT)^2, it started to be funny.

I'm new here, so be kind . . .

I've been a supporter of Bill C. since he was hired. My problem with Frank S. was that we knew when we would lose. Frank S.'s game plans brought no surprises, and we would lose fairly predictably to certain teams. Once behind, there was no getting the lead back.

I liked the concept of the west coast offense. It provided more versatility and more adaptability to game situations. It should, anyway, that that isn't how it has evolved.

Right now, I see that we are paying a head coach $1.7 million per year for a severely mediocre performance. Our bang for the buck must be in the Bottom Ten by now. Let alone the very idea of paying a stupid football coach that much money; he hasn't performed, and in any other industry (and NU football is certainly part of an industry), he would have been fired.

And, as I said, I supported him up until yesterday.

We have been hearing about the fine recruits that he has brought to NU. Uh, WHERE ARE THEY?

I still see too many Ruuds and such. Where is the talent?

Although Coz and his staff are obviously doing a poor job of outright coaching, you would think that talented players would have had the initiative to step up to the task occasionally, even sans coaching. That never happened last night. Are NU players (especially defense) really that inept?

Can our offensive line actually be that bad? Where are the new recruits? And don't give me that stuff about "learning the system." SC played a freshman at center last night, and he ate our lunch for us.

Our O-line is SO BAD that we can't even really make an honest assessment of our running backs. I don't know if they're good or medicre, since they really don't get a shot at running the ball. Same with the QB; he was hurried on virtually every passing play.

That NU team last night was solidly mediocre, but we have a $1.7 million coach. At that salary, he shouldn't get the benefit of a doubt. He should show performance.

Again, where is the NU talent?

There, I've had my rant.

Franks problem was that he had Eric Crouch and a thats all he used it was either Eric Crouch up the middle or eric crouch run right or left. ( that why he should have been the heisman he was a one man team) How many times did we see the RB get pitched to or the power I? He basically took Osborne schemes and left it to one player, Then when crouch left Solich found out he had no RB or a QB that could do what Eric had to do. Face it everyone says Solich couldnt recruit but I seem to recall a few players that were good enough that they left early to go play in the NFL. I have yet to see one player of Callahans team that could even think about it.

The west coast offense hasnt done anything other then blowout a few teamsthat woud probably have been blown out with the Power I or option.

What is the highest point total that the west coast offense against a team thats had a good defense? 21? the 21 against USC in the forth quarter don't count their second string was in.

The tackling has not gotten better over the past few years and you have to wonder what techiniques are they teaching these guys............................Okay defense pay attention..................your only goal in life is to hit that guy wrap your arms around him and drive him into the pit of hell!!!!! You don't have to catch the ball or throw the ball just hit the damn guy and take him to the damn ground!!!!! :madash

We played another bad game, plain and simple to me. I need to go and watch the whole thing but it looked like we just got manhandled on defense. On top of that when people had opportunities to make plays, they didn't.

Exactly!!!! We hit the guy in the back field don't wrap him up and all of the sudden he is down the field 20 yards??? That's aggrevating as hell......... :angry: