Fire Cosgrove

*shakes head* @ this thread. You guys are full of it. They're the best team in the nation! Sheesh...what were you expecting?

I would really like to agree with you and just say USC was that good.

The problem is we got beat bad on the run between the tackles just like we got beat last week at WF. Same sized holes and same long runs. The D-Line was pushed around again and the linebackers didn't tackle into the secondary.

This is a reoccuring Nebraska problem, not a USC issue.

I thought Keller did a better job under pressure this week, he just didn't have an O-line to protect him or provide for a running game. Kind of like last week at WF. We used a different priority on receivers, i.e., who got the ball, which I thought worked better this week.

First of all, I believe that it is the players that ultimately win or lose the game. Having said that it would be nice to see some different schemes once they blew the running lanes open. If we packed more in the box and relied more on the dbs coverage, maybe we would have forced them to change. Instead, they didn't have to change because it always worked. Just my 2 cents.

Scheme doesn't matter if you forgot how to tackle. There is no scheme where you don't have to tackle well. And some will say "Yea, that's on the coaches."

I agree and disagree with that. First, if you don't know how to tackle, you wouldn't be playing Division 1 football. Yes, fundamentals are worked on regularly but in the end the players have to get it done.

You left after the third quarter?! Husker fans do that?!

:o

I'm not very supportive of Cosgrove at the moment, but I wonder how much of it is to blame on him, how much is credit to the USC guys, and how much is to blame on our guys for not making the damn tackle.

Thing is, this is the fourth season we hear about how the guys just didn't execute. At some point -- and I think it was about two years ago -- you have to wonder if repeated lack of execution has to do with coaching.

The first year was "a lot of guys didn't buy into the system."

Whatever. He can't coach. He's Bill's buddy and wouldn't keep the job based on performance.

If "mediocrity" and fans leaving Memorial Stadium when KSU blew us out in '04 cost Solich his job, all those empty seats on national TV last night has to have Pederson's attention.

You pose the question "They were the number one team in the nation, what do you expect?" I'm a Husker fan, I expect to beat them. I don't expect to get blown out like what we USED to do to Colorado. The times they are a changin. I've questioned Cosgroves defensive decisions for years now. Somehow I think he ain't the man for Husker nation. We should be competitive with any team in the nation, if we aren't I'd look at the top. Go Big Red

Let's send an apology to Bo Pelini along with a 10 million dollar paycheck.

I completely agree. I guarantee you that NU's defense would not have been completely overwhelmed by USC had Pelini been our DC. I'm not saying that we would have won, but I'm tired of our lackluster defense. Pelini did not have a ton of talent when he was here at NU, but his players played their guts out, and he was able to get the most out of them. His fire and intensity was contagious. Now, we can't get a turnover or big play to save our life, we can't tackle our way out of a wet paper sack, and our defense plays with no passion or intensity. I yelled my a$$ off last night to support the Blackshirts (YES, I stayed and yelled the whole game like real fans should!), and they didn't even show up last night. NOBODY even deserves to wear a Blackshirt to practice this week. Defense is just as much about playing with passion and intensity as it is about schemes. For that, both the players and Defensive Coaches equally share the blame.

There...I ranted and I still feel like crap!

1) 'Tackling' is not trying to lay a lick on someone, only to watch them bounce off you, as well as your teammates (who are also doing the same thing), and allowing an extra 5, 10, 20, 30 yards.

2) 'Tackling' is not first positioning yourself to punch the ball out, strip the ball, or otherwise trying to make a turnover, when you are still not stopping the ball and the player with the ball.

3) 'Blitzing' is not not sending in LB's blind so that they can over-pursue over and over again because they are so close to the line that they have no idea that...

a. Booty has already read the non-disguised blitz and has adjusted

b. The RB has already torched the 'blitz,' and now there is no LB support to stop the 10-20+ yd. gain

c. LB's have sadly just ventured into an area where they have no idea what is going on with the play, and by the time it is figured out, fast athletes are already way down the field.

If this is the techniques and schemes being taught...past Blackshirts all over the nation must be in tears.

Scheme doesn't matter if you forgot how to tackle. There is no scheme where you don't have to tackle well. And some will say "Yea, that's on the coaches."

I agree and disagree with that. First, if you don't know how to tackle, you wouldn't be playing Division 1 football. Yes, fundamentals are worked on regularly but in the end the players have to get it done.

Ya know..I've been considering this the last 3 or 4 years..It's human nature to want to fix problems.

Whenever there's a reoccurring problem, you try to identify similarities in each situation that went bad, and fix or change the things they have in common.

For some reason, our players seem to keep "forgetting how to tackle?"..Even when some of them had older brothers/Uncles/Fathers that were vicious hitters for us in the past (look up Ruud obliterating a Sooner kick returner on youtube..I think I posted it here when I 1st joined).

I'm starting to rethink what Adam Carriker really meant when he said something about having to unlearn a lot of things he learned here when interviewed at Training camp. (I was hoping it was just because of position change).

I haven't brought myself to re-watch the game yet..It appeared to me that our D-line was getting pushed around..It happens. But our Linebackers weren't even in the frame until the ball carrier was 15-20 yards downfield..Were they assisting our DB's or dropping back in the flats every play?

If that was the scheme, we should have changed it after the 1st series. <_<

It was almost entertaining watching Carrol trying to squeeze in another score before halftime..An average coach would just sit on a lead..A Lost coach would take a knee while behind with a minute left... <_<

1) 'Tackling' is not trying to lay a lick on someone, only to watch them bounce off you, as well as your teammates (who are also doing the same thing), and allowing an extra 5, 10, 20, 30 yards.

2) 'Tackling' is not first positioning yourself to punch the ball out, strip the ball, or otherwise trying to make a turnover, when you are still not stopping the ball and the player with the ball.

3) 'Blitzing' is not not sending in LB's blind so that they can over-pursue over and over again because they are so close to the line that they have no idea that...

a. Booty has already read the non-disguised blitz and has adjusted

b. The RB has already torched the 'blitz,' and now there is no LB support to stop the 10-20+ yd. gain

c. LB's have sadly just ventured into an area where they have no idea what is going on with the play, and by the time it is figured out, fast athletes are already way down the field.

If this is the techniques and schemes being taught...past Blackshirts all over the nation must be in tears.

:yeah