Catille on defense????

I Bleed RED

Ok, so my last year at UofAZ we were pretty stacked on defense and at LB so the coaches used this True Freshman to play fullback instead of his recruited position of LB and used a RB to play DB where we lacked depth. The fullback started only played 1 yr on offense and then switched back to LB.....his name is Lance Briggs!

SO, here is my question, have the coaches considered using various offensive recruits, like Castille (who they are using to BLOCK on kickoff so don't say he can't hit) or others to add speed or athleticism to defense?

This happens often in college programs and I haven't heard of it happening here. At AZ we even had a TE move to DE and he started! Can we look at O-line recruits and TE to play D-Line? I hear we recruit a bunch of talent, so let's use it somewhere. Most of these kids play both sides of the ball anyway in high school.

I am not sure we have the talent to make it work but I have not seen it done here under Coz or BC.

Hitting and wrapping up are two COMPLETELY different things. (See the USC game if you need reference.) I don't consider us 'stacked' at RB whatsoever. Other than Lucky we have a continuously banged up Glenn, a true-freshman in Helu and a guy that has been on this 'switching positions' idea you are referring to for 2 years in Culbert.....oh and a guy who's bones are breaking and dissolving in Wilson. Castille is where he needs to be.

Also, players at NU switch all the time. Barry Turner was recruited by most schools (and probably still would be) a TE instead of a DE. Green was our starting running back a couple of years ago. Zack Potter was a TE and DE in high school and recruited as both. Add to that Sievers, Steinkuhler, and others and your scheme of changing positions is already in action.

Hitting and wrapping up are two COMPLETELY different things. (See the USC game if you need reference.) I don't consider us 'stacked' at RB whatsoever. Other than Lucky we have a continuously banged up Glenn, a true-freshman in Helu and a guy that has been on this 'switching positions' idea you are referring to for 2 years in Culbert.....oh and a guy who's bones are breaking and dissolving in Wilson. Castille is where he needs to be.

Also, players at NU switch all the time. Barry Turner was recruited by most schools (and probably still would be) a TE instead of a DE. Green was our starting running back a couple of years ago. Zack Potter was a TE and DE in high school and recruited as both. Add to that Sievers, Steinkuhler, and others and your scheme of changing positions is already in action.

The point that Castille could hit was to point out that the coaches believe in his toughness not that he can tackle but thanks for pointing out the difference.

The players you just mentioned aren't getting it done and being "recruited as both" was not what I said. I believe that Castille will get very few touches now that Glenn is back and our defense is AWFUL! I don't know if he can play but I was wondering if they were looking at anyone to play now that we are in deep trouble. Steinkuhler is probably the most overrated lineman we have. Suh can play well as long as he doesn't line up against a true freshman.

Like cmb said.

Many people have actually criticized the coaching staff for moving people too much. There isn't anything that anyone can come up with on a message board that coaches who have been in the game for more than 50 years combined haven't thought of.

Like cmb said.

Many people have actually criticized the coaching staff for moving people too much. There isn't anything that anyone can come up with on a message board that coaches who have been in the game for more than 50 years combined haven't thought of.

I believe our coaches have the talent of evaluating and improving players about as well as a trained monkey.

And criticizing coaches for moving players too much is for people who lack football knowledge. Athletes can play, ask Troy Brown, Mike Vrabel etc. In the NFL they DON'T like to move players yet the players adjust if they are good enough athletes.

Like cmb said.

I believe our coaches have the talent of evaluating and improving players about as well as a trained monkey.

And criticizing coaches for moving players too much is for people who lack football knowledge. Athletes can play, ask Troy Brown, Mike Vrabel etc. In the NFL they DON'T like to move players yet the players adjust if they are good enough athletes.

I would rather see culbert there. and I would like to see some of our younger more athletic players(dillard, thenarse, culburt(on defense) so on) play more.

The point that Castille could hit was to point out that the coaches believe in his toughness not that he can tackle but thanks for pointing out the difference.

The players you just mentioned aren't getting it done and being "recruited as both" was not what I said. I believe that Castille will get very few touches now that Glenn is back and our defense is AWFUL! I don't know if he can play but I was wondering if they were looking at anyone to play now that we are in deep trouble. Steinkuhler is probably the most overrated lineman we have. Suh can play well as long as he doesn't line up against a true freshman.

No need to get $hitty....there wasn't a clear point to what you were saying. It sounded like you wanted Castille on defense.

In reference to what you are saying, I believe, as well as many other people (however there are others that think the opposite) is that the coaching staff is less than adequate.

People say "Well USC, Florida, Texas, etc. get better athletes". Well the last 3 seasons haven't we had top 20 recruiting classes? And even then, those other schools are getting 2-3 star players (as determined by rivals, scout, etc.). Put together that with the lesser teams that ONLY get 3 star recruits, such as Boise State teams over the past few years and others, and they have a staff and system that can coach them up to a higher level.

I hate comparing NU teams from the past but here's how I look at it. When NU was winning championships and only losing 1 or 2 games a year.....we weren't getting all 5-star recruits (though they weren't ranked then).....we were getting guys that fit the system, and had coaches that put them in a position to win each and every time. Think of some of the guys, that were standouts here on big-time teams.....Jared Tomich, Jeff/Joel Mackovicka, Michael Booker, Jamel Williams....those guys were awesome, and probably wouldn't have been much more than a 3-star by todays rankings. I've heard them (rivals reps on ESPN radio) discuss players like Ahman Green and Grant Wistrom and say they wouldn't have been 5-stars by a long shot...but they were coached, and trained, and were able to carry that into the NFL.

Like cmb said.

One thing: comparing true freshmen straight out of high school to an NFL talent is ridiculous. With that said, I agree with you. We have this so called flexible system that we are trying to plop guys into. Will not work in collgeg football. Look at Bob Stoops (I hate OU too, but he's a good coach). He supposedly doesn't have a QB for 2 years, but they are always good. It just takes a coach to play to his teams strengths, which as of now, we are not doing.

Ok, so my last year at UofAZ we were pretty stacked on defense and at LB so the coaches used this True Freshman to play fullback instead of his recruited position of LB and used a RB to play DB where we lacked depth. The fullback started only played 1 yr on offense and then switched back to LB.....his name is Lance Briggs!

SO, here is my question, have the coaches considered using various offensive recruits, like Castille (who they are using to BLOCK on kickoff so don't say he can't hit) or others to add speed or athleticism to defense?

This happens often in college programs and I haven't heard of it happening here. At AZ we even had a TE move to DE and he started! Can we look at O-line recruits and TE to play D-Line? I hear we recruit a bunch of talent, so let's use it somewhere. Most of these kids play both sides of the ball anyway in high school.

I am not sure we have the talent to make it work but I have not seen it done here under Coz or BC.

holy cow, are you kidding me?? cally has moved so many guys around from position to position and from D to O and back, i am still dizzy from it. castille is the future of the staight ahead running game that will average 3-4 per carry, that we so deperatedly need!

No need to get $hitty....there wasn't a clear point to what you were saying. It sounded like you wanted Castille on defense.

In reference to what you are saying, I believe, as well as many other people (however there are others that think the opposite) is that the coaching staff is less than adequate.

People say "Well USC, Florida, Texas, etc. get better athletes". Well the last 3 seasons haven't we had top 20 recruiting classes? And even then, those other schools are getting 2-3 star players (as determined by rivals, scout, etc.). Put together that with the lesser teams that ONLY get 3 star recruits, such as Boise State teams over the past few years and others, and they have a staff and system that can coach them up to a higher level.

I hate comparing NU teams from the past but here's how I look at it. When NU was winning championships and only losing 1 or 2 games a year.....we weren't getting all 5-star recruits (though they weren't ranked then).....we were getting guys that fit the system, and had coaches that put them in a position to win each and every time. Think of some of the guys, that were standouts here on big-time teams.....Jared Tomich, Jeff/Joel Mackovicka, Michael Booker, Jamel Williams....those guys were awesome, and probably wouldn't have been much more than a 3-star by todays rankings. I've heard them (rivals reps on ESPN radio) discuss players like Ahman Green and Grant Wistrom and say they wouldn't have been 5-stars by a long shot...but they were coached, and trained, and were able to carry that into the NFL.

pretty good stuff 23. and cally will only coach to his system, not to the talent (strength)he has. he will continue to drive square pegs into round holes, until he gets enough round pegs that the system starts to really function. takes the right skill guys to make the WCO go and be really efficient. i don't really like his inflexible system and attitude for utilizing the players where and how he does. we'll see how it looks a couple years from now, which should really tell the story regarding his coaching style.

You are arguing with someone who went to the University of Arizona, hates on Nebraska every chance he gets, can't even spell 'Castille' right in the post topic, has no solution to his chaos theory, and can't defend any crap that spews out of his mouth. I think you're ok. ;)

Foppa, this is a shoulder pads only discussion. Meaning if you don't understand what it takes to wear them, coach them or understand the people who play in them your input probably won't be necessary. It will be coming from nowhere.

And my question was, have they looked at this already and do we have any athletes that can change over now. I was asking for input on this.