Notes from practice

np_husker

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

Extra padding

The subject of Nebraska practicing in full pads this week continued on Wednesday.

Bill Callahan said the team has responded well to its two full-pads workouts this week. Will he continue to do that this season?

"We'll see," Callahan said. "We'll evaluate that as we move through the schedule."

Callahan defended his position of normally going half pads for most in-season practices.

"When you're in half pads, you can get just as much done," Callahan said. "Every pro team in the NFL practices in (half pads)."

Until Tuesday, Nebraska had not practiced in full pads since fall camp.

The pads topic has been a hot one this week in light of Saturday's game against USC, when missed tackles and sloppy tackling was a problem.

"Everybody needs to know that when you go half pads, the only thing that you really don't get is the full scrimmage aspect," Callahan said. "I don't think every team can go out and scrimmage every day, or else you're going to lose half your roster.

"This is a little bit different than baseball where you can go out and play games every day and get better. In football, you only have a week in between games, and practice time becomes vital."

Also, defensive end Zach Potter and cornerback Zack Bowman sat out practice. Potter is day to day with an unspecified injury. He was seen hobbling off the field following Tuesday's practice. Bowman has a hamstring injury.

Bowman, you'll recall, did not wear his Blackshirt on Tuesday. Nobody followed his lead on Wednesday; all others were wearing Blackshirts.

Extra padding

The subject of Nebraska practicing in full pads this week continued on Wednesday.

Bill Callahan said the team has responded well to its two full-pads workouts this week. Will he continue to do that this season?

"We'll see," Callahan said. "We'll evaluate that as we move through the schedule."

Callahan defended his position of normally going half pads for most in-season practices.

"When you're in half pads, you can get just as much done," Callahan said. "Every pro team in the NFL practices in (half pads)."

The pads topic has been a hot one this week in light of Saturday's game against USC, when missed tackles and sloppy tackling was a problem.

"Everybody needs to know that when you go half pads, the only thing that you really don't get is the full scrimmage aspect," Callahan said. "I don't think every team can go out and scrimmage every day, or else you're going to lose half your roster.

"This is a little bit different than baseball where you can go out and play games every day and get better. In football, you only have a week in between games, and practice time becomes vital."

Also, defensive end Zach Potter and cornerback Zack Bowman sat out practice. Potter is day to day with an unspecified injury. He was seen hobbling off the field following Tuesday's practice. Bowman has a hamstring injury.

Bowman, you'll recall, did not wear his Blackshirt on Tuesday. Nobody followed his lead on Wednesday; all others were wearing Blackshirts.

well, there you go, no team unity on defense. i guess those other guys all graded out to a higher standard?

it may just be Bowman's statement, but at least he had the balls to do it!

'Blackshirts' are a joke right now...they should all be fighting like hell just to start, let alone have a 'Blackshirt'.

That said, I don't think there is a lack of talent on defense...so Cosgrove, why don't you just put an 'Interim' in front of your title, thanks.

Extra padding

well, there you go, no team unity on defense. i guess those other guys all graded out to a higher standard?

it may just be Bowman's statement, but at least he had the balls to do it!

It's encouraging to hear the practices are going well in full pads. When we practiced in full pads it was full contact for our defense against scout offense but not for our first string offensive skill positions. So defense did full scrimmage against scout team and on offense nobody tackled our RB, WR and touched the QB's versus scout D.

One 2 concerning thoughts. His statement that you can get as much done. If so, then why are you changing this week. Secondly, I don't like him saying a statement about NFL teams do it. This isn't the NFL and too many times I fear he is still just an NFL coach.

Keep the hitting in practice. We need it!

i really wish they would

They voted him captain, you think they would follow his lead.

The rest of them are a bunch of gutless punks then!!!!! Your captain is trying to set an example and then you do that. They don't deserve to be on the field!!! :madash

i really wish they would

The rest of them are a bunch of gutless punks then!!!!! Your captain is trying to set an example and then you do that. They don't deserve to be on the field!!! :madash

I agree. If you claim to be a blackshirt, then giving up 49 at home should mean automatic removal of blackshirt.

BC's comment is very telling - "I don't think every team can go out and scrimmage every day, or else you're going to lose half your roster. "

Only a boob would advocate daily scrimmages, but why no full pad contacts at all since fall practice? Can't there be a happy medium?

I agree. It only makes sense that you go in full pads at least once a week. Unlike a lot of folks, I don't like to pretend I know how to run a Div 1 football team, but it only make sense that if you play in pads, you should practice in pads.

To me, it's almost like the NU baseball team practicing with whiffle balls and bats. Not exactly, but to me that's the theme.

i really wish they would

I agree. If you claim to be a blackshirt, then giving up 49 at home should mean automatic removal of blackshirt.

The fact that Bowman is alone makes me sick.

Well I agree with playing Washington, Thenarse, and some of the younger players, but Pierre Allen does play quite a bit but I would not like to see him starting, bc if he did then that would mean that Zach Potter would not be starting and he is the best surprise of the season and actually had a decent game against USC (as good as can possibly be when you give up 350 yards rushing at home that is). I would love to see what Jensen can do in there. He seems like he has a lot of passion for the game and I think he would bring in a whole new level of energy to the defense.

Well I agree with playing Washington, Thenarse, and some of the younger players, but Pierre Allen does play quite a bit but I would not like to see him starting, bc if he did then that would mean that Zach Potter would not be starting and he is the best surprise of the season and actually had a decent game against USC (as good as can possibly be when you give up 350 yards rushing at home that is). I would love to see what Jensen can do in there. He seems like he has a lot of passion for the game and I think he would bring in a whole new level of energy to the defense.

I am not sure Jensen is 100%.