Like him or not, i don't think we can realistically get a better coach.

deja vu. uh oh I think someone just changed the matrix. same old song and dance. DAMN dedhoarse

2007 ok trying to orient people to the correct year. No Reagan is not the president. Jimmy Hoffa does not run the Teamsters any more. Solich is not something on the bottom of your foot that needs an ointment for itching. Ohio is east of Nebraska.

Bill Callahan is the current HC for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Let's allow the team to play the season. Save all this stuff for the march 08.

thx and goodnight johnboy

Welcome to the board Pasadena Husker

GBR

I love how people preach patience with Callahan, but yet they are OK with Pedey having none with Solich's rebuilt staff. I also love how people act like some fans' expectations are too high, but they are OK with Solich getting fired for not equating Osborne's success. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Callahan hasn't learned how to "Coach" at the College level yet. That was proven when he didn't have any live goes since preseason. NFL doesn't go live because they don't need to. The players at that level have already developed the fundamental skills. Every other College Team in the Country goes live every week.

These College kids have not developed all the Skills yet. People get crazy about 4 and 5 star recruits coming in but they are still just High School players and need their skills developed.

The best college coaches will all tell you "Blocking and Tackling is how games are won."

They should be drilled every day.

The 1s should be going live for 30-60 plays each week as needed. A mix of 1s vs 1s, 1s vs 2s, 2 vs 2s and 1s vs Scouts.

If worrying about injuries prevents you from doing the work needed to improve. You will never be able to compete at the highest level.

Yes I do HONESTLY believe this.

Nebraska fans have forgotten how to be a fan. They think they are entitled to NC. Doesn't work that way. Like I said, we should have been evolving with the game a lot sooner that we did. Now we pay the price.

Just because we want it doesn't make it so.

Mediocrity accepted ????

Fan is short for fanatic, by the way.

hi all:

i know in the wake of nebraska's big loss, alot of people on this board have been calling for changes in the coaching staff (e.g. callahan and cosgrove). there was even a posting where the question was asked for people to select from a list of coaches...

***SNIP***

1. welcome to the board.
  2. good post.
  3. i urge you to use the 'enter' key once in a while.

:rollin

I love how people preach patience with Callahan, but yet they are OK with Pedey having none with Solich's rebuilt staff. I also love how people act like some fans' expectations are too high, but they are OK with Solich getting fired for not equating Osborne's success. Hypocrisy at its finest.

You feel Solich was unfairly treated, yet pile the criticism on BC for not being this way. Isn't that hypocrisy as well?

That's all I was trying to say.

I think in another thread someone brought up that Bo P***** isn't a husker... but who on this staff is a husker? Solich is about as much of a husker as you can be. I just don't like inconsistent criticism like that, including the remarks made by Ped when they axed him. I just think the whole thing has been a disaster and very little, if anything, has been handled well on the administrative end.

I also think that since the *losing* season that BC had, there have been fewer calls for his ouster but the calls for a new DC have increased a smidge.

You feel Solich was unfairly treated, yet pile the criticism on BC for not being this way. Isn't that hypocrisy as well?

Criticism =! Firing.

hi all:

i know in the wake of nebraska's big loss, alot of people on this board have been calling for changes in the coaching staff (e.g. callahan and cosgrove). there was even a posting where the question was asked for people to select from a list of coaches currently at other schools, which one would they like to have coach the huskers. however, when i was thinking about this question and considered the realtive difficulty nebraska had in actually hiring a big time coach after solich was let go, it dawned on me that from a known entity standpoint, callahan is probably the best nebraska is going to do for awhile. some may argue that with all of our tradition and success in the past then we shold have no problem in attracting a top flight coach, but if you honestly consider the payscale (middle of the pack), recruiting base (1.7 million people in nebraska), culture and location of the university (hey i love lincoln and the university, received my PhD there, but it is a bit dull and straight-laced) is it really that attractive of job? in addition, the two coaches that put nebraska back into the limelight after a 20 year lull, both came from relative obscurity. devaney had been an assistant at michigan state and head man at wyoming, while osborne was a local boy and assistant under devaney. my final point is that i don't think we will be able to hire away a proven division 1 college coach from any other school and will eventually be forced to hire some up and coming assistant or division 1-AA or DII coach that is hungry to prove himself at the next level. i also believe nebraska's current AD thought along similar lines and as a consequence has tried to lock-up callahan for several years. even though i don't particularly like the current AD he is quite shrewd and politically savvy considering the timing of the contract extension. he made the announcement after a blowout win against nevada and before they played USC. can you imagine the public outcry if he had made the announcement this week? anyway, i would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this topic.

You have a good point --- the NU job is not a top tier job. Attracting a proven coach is somewhat unlikely. That said, getting a young and unproven, though energetic and excellent coach --- one several levels or more above Callahan is quite possible. Getting a semi-proven commodity is possible if enough $ is involved. But your point is well taken --- it will be a gamble. But, that is the state of the program. IMO, the risk is worth it relative to what we have now.

You're all kidding yourselves if you think Solich was fired because of where the program was. He was 58-19 as a head coach for crying out load, and then going 9-3... give me a break. He was fired because of some extra curricular activities going on with some teeny bopper in David City.

Wow, she keeps getting younger and younger by the year. My sources tell me it was a female well above her teen years that worked for UNL in the athletic department office.

You're all kidding yourselves if you think Solich was fired because of where the program was. He was 58-19 as a head coach for crying out load, and then going 9-3... give me a break. He was fired because of some extra curricular activities going on with some teeny bopper in David City.

Wow, she keeps getting younger and younger by the year. My sources tell me it was a female well above her teen years that worked for UNL in the athletic department office.

She was a fetus.