Keller/Lucky records

I was watching Marion Barber for the Cowboys last night and saw him escape certain doom on several occasions.

Marion "The Barbarian" is a beast. No one in the NFL runs so hard and determined play after play.

As for the rest of your post, I see what you are saying. I'm okay with him. He has been given the opportunity to be the guy this year. It's up to him to get better each game. Still would like to see some holes opened up for him. Not sure that's gonna happen much.

As for Keller, he's doing well this year. I'm pleased so far!

yeah i agree. catching 11 passes is outstanding and a great intangible. it helps him get to where he's best too, in the open field. he sure can make people miss and is very tough to catch.

however, it just doesn't seem like he has a forward lean. like BJax or Ahman Green. they seemed to get the ball and have the mentality of 'i have it, i dare you to come tackle me'. Lucky is more like 'well, not a lot there. i'll go down and live to fight another day.'

he does have great pass blocking and is capable to make big plays, but just not a lot of tenacity.

Keller may have one of the worst throwing motions I've ever seen. It reminds me of watching Bill Cartright of the Chicago Bulls back in Jordan era shooting the rock. I could be wrong, but some of the balls that have been tipped at the LOS may contribute to that side-arm motion. Anyone else agree? I think it almost pains Sam to have to be patient and look off his receivers, but he is doing it, and I think he's improving at it every game.

Seriously, how can you not love Keller? Yes, he makes mistakes. Every QB does. But I think he will just get better and better as the season goes on. And yelling at his teammates to get off the bench and stand up for the defense?!? Geez, glad he wasn't elected captain. :rolleyes: If the entire team played with the fire of Keller, screw the shoddy coaching, it probably wouldn't even matter.

Lucky...well, watching him is like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel while you're standing in quicksand. Things look bright, but just not gonna happen. He doesn't have breakaway speed, rarely breaks tackles, and often looks like a mouse running through a maze looking for holes instead of just attacking. Granted, often you have to wait for the play to develop, but as one poster already said, sometimes the blocking isn't there and you have to improvise. This is something Lucky has never shown. At least twice I watched Lucky run directly into an NU lineman who was blocking someone, instead of darting left or right. Why? Is he going to push both of them 60 yards into the endzone? It just doesn't make sense sometimes.

I think Helu shows flashes, I am really upset that Culbert isn't getting chances, as I think he may be the most elusive of the RB core, and I think Castille will be solid...just got unlucky with that costly fumble.

Keller may have one of the worst throwing motions I've ever seen. It reminds me of watching Bill Cartright of the Chicago Bulls back in Jordan era shooting the rock.

It seems to be an odd motion all right. Similar to throwing darts, with the ball coming right off his should. Maybe the dart-like motion is why he can throw such darts into tight spots.

Oh yeah--congrats to Sam and Marlon for breaking their respective records. I'm sure more records will fall this year.

Can we say thank you to Arizona St.?

Keller is by far our best offensive weapon. He broke the single game passing record yesterday after only his fourth game.

Lucky caught 11 passes yesterday, that is a record.

Lucky established a record for receptions in a game by a running back..... previous record was 9 receptions. And, IDK the overall record, but I seem to recall that Matt Davison had 13 catches vs. A&M in a losing effort in '98.

I think Helu shows flashes, I am really upset that Culbert isn't getting chances, as I think he may be the most elusive of the RB core, and I think Castille will be solid...just got unlucky with that costly fumble.

Actually, I was happy to see Roy Helu Jr. given some snaps at crucial points during the game...... it shows that Callahan is attempting to use some of the fresh talent on the field. I hope Niles Paul & Menelik Holt start seeing a lot more action....

Major Culbert showed some promise in late-game action vs. Nevada, but maybe Helu is ahead of him because he's able to handle blitz pick-up. IDK, I'm just wondering if that could be a reason....

Quentin Castille's fumble wasn't just "unlucky" IMO. It significantly changed the game's momentum due to QC's careless handling of the rock. The game essentially became a track meet after that. BSU took that short-field possession & pulled ahead of NU. And, as I recall, Cortney Grixby nearly ran the punt back for a TD (if he slips that shoe-string tackle & eludes the punter), and that happened mere moments before Castille's fumble. That series was a HUGE swing in momentum...

I think Lucky has improved tremendously over last year.

Still not the toughest looking runner after contact, but with slightly better blocking..He'll at least get the yards...And it's not like we're in the "I" where the RB gets a few more yards momentum.

For some reason, I'm reminded of watching L.Phillips when he played for the Rams..You kept waiting for him to rip off a long one, but the blocking never materialized.

I think Lucky has improved tremendously over last year.

Still not the toughest looking runner after contact, but with slightly better blocking..He'll at least get the yards...And it's not like we're in the "I" where the RB gets a few more yards momentum.

For some reason, I'm reminded of watching L.Phillips when he played for the Rams..You kept waiting for him to rip off a long one, but the blocking never materialized.

I also think that Marlon Lucky has improved dramatically since he got to NU. And even since last season....

He's becoming more of a complete back, although I wouldn't go so far to say that Lucky is a 'feature' back yet. He's developing nicely......

Marlon Lucky seems to be pretty easy to bring down. I wonder what his yards after contact are for his career. My guess is that they account for less than half of his career rushing yards.

I read a statistic before the start of the season that was something like this:

Last season, Lucky ran for approximately 720-some yards.

Approximately 300 of those yards were on eight carries.

Which means he averaged about 2-3 yards per carry on the other carries.

Quick EDIT: I should point out that I think Lucky is incredible at catching the ball out of the backfield, which is something this offense drastically needs. I remember a few games last season where it seemed practically every play was Taylor hitting Lucky on a screen pass and getting about ten yards a pop.

anyone have the stats regarding his 3 longest runs from scrimmage since he has been at NU? i am thinking they would look pretty anemic?

I know he had one 80-yard run against Troy last year . . . other than that, I haven't the slightest.

So far this season, Lucky has carried the ball 92 times for 458 yards, which averages out to 5 yards per carry. He's made 24 catches for 189 yards, which makes for a 7.9-yard average. He also has 6 touchdowns, which leads the team. So he's definitely contributing.