NO ONE IS GETTING FIRED - But Octavien should be cut!

jjamuss

good post above junior. the OL is awful but i think a lot of that extends from the offensive scheme we run.

years past we lined up and beat the hell out of somebody. In this Offense the short passes are used as the run. When we do hand it off we zone block which is causing all kinds of problems. Also, we tend to give away what we are doing. We run with certain player groups on the field and pass with others. Many times it is easy to see what we are gonna do. also i think the lack of throwing the ball down field hurts our running game. rarely do we take shots down the field. I think that may be due to our WR that play being more possession type guys. Our only deep threat that plays is hardy.

all this adds up to a poor running game imo. lucky is far from bad, he is really pretty good imo. people scream at him to make people miss, look what he does when he is moving. its hard to make people miss when you are getting hit 1 and 2 steps into the play.

My final concern on the running game is in conjunction with all the above. Our only true threat at WR is purify. someone please explain why he plays only aboutr 25% of the plays. He should never come out. I think more than anything that will hurt us in recruiting big time WR. A big time WR recruit knows that purify is by far our best and when he watches us and sees that our best WR only plays about a quarter of the plays he is gonna look at different schools simply because they want to go somewhere and be the man. Hard to be the man when you dont play

All this talk about firing this person and that... blah blah blah. The same things were being said when BC was hired. Accept it, things dont always go to plan, the thing you have to do is keep trying. Bill is making strides as head coach as evidenced by his last 2 QBs breaking school passing records! I admit Coz is driving me nuts by letting the boys slide with their half azz effort, he should be in their faces threatening them with their blackshirt (which by the way all Defensive players should have surrendered willfully by now because they dont deserve them) and starting jobs. If the starters on D dont want to play with the vigor and fire that past defenses have had, they have no place on the field. I think Steve Octavien should be kicked off the team for what he said about the fans. We pay big bucks to keep a record alive! A very real and important record that the FANS made possible, no player has any effect on that... and that kid has the balls to tell us to stay home!?! Take his blackshirt and 3rd string his ass! that will send a strong message to the rest of the team about what it means to be a blackshirt.

:bonez

Well it's amazing that you will back a mediocre head coach who has only improved a passing team that DIDN'T PASS before he got here. And there aren't enough wins to show for it. Ask Texas Tech and Hawaii how many games they win with a passing offense with no run support. And Keller is only here because Dirk Koetter screwed up and he admits it. Keller was BETTER as ASU statistically.

But how dare you attack a player (21 yrs old) for saying something he shouldn't have said after an emotionally draining game when he was frustrated and yet you give this uninspiring and passive minded coach praise.

How dare you!

All this talk about firing this person and that... blah blah blah. The same things were being said when BC was hired. Accept it, things dont always go to plan, the thing you have to do is keep trying. Bill is making strides as head coach as evidenced by his last 2 QBs breaking school passing records! I admit Coz is driving me nuts by letting the boys slide with their half azz effort, he should be in their faces threatening them with their blackshirt (which by the way all Defensive players should have surrendered willfully by now because they dont deserve them) and starting jobs. If the starters on D dont want to play with the vigor and fire that past defenses have had, they have no place on the field. I think Steve Octavien should be kicked off the team for what he said about the fans. We pay big bucks to keep a record alive! A very real and important record that the FANS made possible, no player has any effect on that... and that kid has the balls to tell us to stay home!?! Take his blackshirt and 3rd string his ass! that will send a strong message to the rest of the team about what it means to be a blackshirt.

Thats retarded!!! octavien is the only defense player that does anything besides the dumb luck that grixby's having this season. The fans shouldn't boo and the players shouldn't say things like that

you missed on this post badly! Octo said the wrong thing, granted, but he is one of the few that appears to care and is playing hard. the fans DON'T MAKE the program, it is the coaches and the players. take a break from venting and think about what you are saying.

Agreed--you're WAY off base here. Add to that the fact that Octo already feels bad for making comments like he did, and the kid's been punished enough. Give the kid a break, and let him focus on Saturday and his schoolwork.

Well it's amazing that you will back a mediocre head coach who has only improved a passing team that DIDN'T PASS before he got here. And there aren't enough wins to show for it. Ask Texas Tech and Hawaii how many games they win with a passing offense with no run support. And Keller is only here because Dirk Koetter screwed up and he admits it. Keller was BETTER as ASU statistically.

But how dare you attack a player (21 yrs old) for saying something he shouldn't have said after an emotionally draining game when he was frustrated and yet you give this uninspiring and passive minded coach praise.

How dare you!

You TELL him, Gundy!!!

Swing and a miss. I completely disagree with this entire post. If you are going to boo, go to a bar or stay at home and watch it. Octavien has a right to be pissed, and I am glad he is that fiery. At least you know he cares, the same can't be necessarily said for McKeon and others, etc.

I've never been a violent person (except twice in self defense), but this post/thread just made me realize I probably can't watch another game in person or in a bar.

If somebody next to me started booing my team, I'd probably have to put them down.

Considering we had a run based offense for decades and threw maybe 10-15% of the time, I hardly consider QB's breaking passing records a big deal. When he was hired, he was supposed to have a balanced attack. I understand why the balanced attack was not achieved against USC because we were getting it handed to us the entire game, but I don't have any idea why we didn't strive for more balance last week. If you throw out the Nevada game, our rushing attack this year is in serious decline since BC took over. I hardly call this strides in a positive direction. Since BC's been here, our OL has been a liability. This year is pretty much the same except I'm thinking they're actually worse than previous years. My biggest knock against BC is the fact that he was an OL coach for several years. When he came in, I really thought this would be the biggest improvement on the team. Thus far, he hasn't done squat with the OL. IMO, he should have pounded the rock against Ball State. How do you slow an offense? Keep them off the field. The D was struggling severely. The best way to cool off a hot offense and help your struggling D is to keep the opposing teams offense off of the field. This is why we got beat badly in 2002 because our O sucked and had so many 3 and outs. The D wasn't horrible that year, but they were on the field 3 out of 4 quarters and got tired. Shootouts with mid Mac teams are stupid. Win the time of possession by running the rock and controlling the game. I guess BC missed the memo.

While I don't like what Octavian said, it's hardly any reason to kick him off the team. Purify committed all kinds of dumbass attacks and was only suspended one game. I see no reason to kick a player off the team for making statements in the heat of the moment.

excellent post, on all points.

We pay big bucks to keep a record alive! A very real and important record that the FANS made possible, no player has any effect on that... and that kid has the balls to tell us to stay home!?! Take his blackshirt and 3rd string his ass! that will send a strong message to the rest of the team about what it means to be a blackshirt.

I can only speak for myself but my motivation in going to a game has absolutely nothing to do with keeping a sell out record alive.

As far as what he said, I'll elect to give a kid a break. Like others have said, at least he has some emotion about what he's doing. That appears to be sorely lacking in this year's edition of the Huskers.

Octo's comments did not make me happy, but I do not believe for a minute that he should be benched or kicked off the team. He made a stupid comment and I'm sure will regret it for a long time, but the fact is, the current program has no ties to the past; certainly not on the coaching staff and only a handful of Nebraska natives on the team roster. Even though Osborne and Solich had numerous out of state players on the team, I believe they quickly learned about Nebraska tradition, fan support, etc., and learned to value it. Did Mike Rozier once comment about always making time for Nebraska? He got it!

Even when Scott Frost was booed, he would never have said anything like that about Husker fans because he got it.

Speaking of Frost, I wish we had him as an assistant coach and maybe one day head coach.

Since BC's been here, there has been a lot of discussions on why his teams lack motivation. This is what led Zac Taylor to make his statement about playing in the Big 12 and motivation. We're in year 4, and there is still a lack of motivation. The age old argument has been some see motivation as being a coaching thing while the other side sees lack of motivation a player thing.

If it's a player thing, are we only recruiting unmotivated players? I believe that it's the coaches responsibility to have the team fired up and motivated to play the game. If I'm wrong and it's all on the players, then is this team filled with a bunch of lazy unmotivated people?

I'm pretty sure that it would have taken a highly skilled doctor to find a pulse last Saturday on the defense. It would have been just as difficult the previous Saturday against USC, and the previous Saturday to that against Wake. 2 of the 3 games were at home. How could these players be this unmotivated while playing in front of the home crowd? USC and Ball State each tied records for the most points put up on a Husker team in one quarter (21). In each of the games, the record was tied in the 3rd quarter. Wtf are the coaches saying or not saying at halftime that makes the D lay down and die in the third quarter?

Band wagon fans... blah blah blah! Unless you are at the stadium cheering until your lose your voice, then your opinions dont matter. I am there, always, in full force with eyes bugging out of my skull from yelling, cheering and unfaltering support! But when some punk says we should stay home if we dont like it, maybe he shouldnt be a starter because that is punk talk... much of like what is being replied on this thread.

Steve Oct is our best D player? Holy Sh*t! We are in BIG F'IN TROUBLE!! IF he is the best we have and is so damn good, how did they allow 1000+ yards and 90 points in TWO GAMES!! Maybe Steve should use that interview emotion on the field or the locker room where it matters, in fact, those are the only places that stuff matters! How do you get someones attention if they think they are better than they are... its called a REALITY CHECK! So heres your reality check, the D sucks bad this year and should be thanking fans for coming out, every week in record numbers to support a squad that is playing half azz. Coaches dont wear helmets. They can only lead, its up to the player to use their ability and talent to make plays... and that just isnt happening regularly enough. And speaking of emotion, why is it there are 1 or 2 D players that try to get the crowd into the game nowadays... quit defending these kids, if they cant take the heat, then they dont belong in the game. Not to mention, they do get paid to play, its called a scholarship! Have you priced hourly rates at UNL lately? I assure you, the kids are WELL compensated!

What kind of weed are you guys smokin?!

Since BC's been here, there has been a lot of discussions on why his teams lack motivation. This is what led Zac Taylor to make his statement about playing in the Big 12 and motivation. We're in year 4, and there is still a lack of motivation. The age old argument has been some see motivation as being a coaching thing while the other side sees lack of motivation a player thing.

If it's a player thing, are we only recruiting unmotivated players? I believe that it's the coaches responsibility to have the team fired up and motivated to play the game. If I'm wrong and it's all on the players, then is this team filled with a bunch of lazy unmotivated people?

I'm pretty sure that it would have taken a highly skilled doctor to find a pulse last Saturday on the defense. It would have been just as difficult the previous Saturday against USC, and the previous Saturday to that against Wake. 2 of the 3 games were at home. How could these players be this unmotivated while playing in front of the home crowd? USC and Ball State each tied records for the most points put up on a Husker team in one quarter (21). In each of the games, the record was tied in the 3rd quarter. Wtf are the coaches saying or not saying at halftime that makes the D lay down and die in the third quarter?

Players used to have something called HEART!! It just isnt there anymore on the D.

I've never been a violent person (except twice in self defense), but this post/thread just made me realize I probably can't watch another game in person or in a bar.

If somebody next to me started booing my team, I'd probably have to put them down.

It almost happened saturday. Some fat loud mouth 2 rows behind me just about got thrown down the steps by several of us.

He had just come out of a nip and tuck home game, decided by one point, where the fans could have made a huge difference, and people booed. I don't blame him for what he said, I would have been pissed too, but I am glad that he apologized to the fans later.

How many losses can we have at home becuase the D layed down and let the other team break record after record? I have and always will support Bill C and Steve P because of their vision to take the program to the next level, but theres a point where the rubber meets the pavement and it becomes the teams responsibility to EXECUTE! I dont like losing at home, no one does, and we have seen TOO MANY of them as it is... remember when Southern Miss stuck it to us, then Texas Tech, Texas (twice) and USC... all games that I was at, and cheered until I had no voice left... its time the players do what they were recruited to do and leave EVERYTHING on the field! If steve has emotion to fire at fans about booing AFTER the game, then he isnt doing what he was recruited to do.

This year's offense looks plenty motivated. They're doing well and have a great leader (Keller), with a small problem in run blocking that will hopefully improve as the season goes along. Our problem is defense. And while Callahan is responsible for the whole team, the real problems are most likely in the coaching staff on the defensive side.