Corey McKeon

np_husker

i am sorry, but Q is just wrong here. college football is not highschool football. it is not supposed to be fun in and of itself. it is purely performance based.

it is fun...when you win (which i get is part of his point, that we ARE 3-1) and you grade out good on film and your coach DOESN'T yell at you! college and pro's seperate the men from the boys. those who understand how to do their JOB on the field and excel at it do have fun. real fun like boys have in during highschool careers are left behind for a very select few who can actually play in college, let alone a top tier program.

we are talking about coaches who are paid handsomely for teaching a game. players on scholarship for a big time program. better results are expected than what they've given 3 weeks in a row.

i hate to say it but Dan Hawkins was right: "this isn't intramurals, this is D1 football!"

if Q wants to have 'fun' then go play intramruals. if he wants to compete and let the cards fall, then suck it up, sell out, and get better results. then that will be fun. period.

My biggest problem is him saying that he doesn't care if they give up 1200 yards in a game, as long as they win. What the hell is that? Have some pride as a unit in your performance! If you give up 1200 yards, I think that qualifies you as the worst defense ever, it's not something to just shrug off and say "Oh , well at least we have an offense who can bail us out." I'm sure anyone on here who has every played defense knows what it's like to want to be the best defense in the conference or the country back when they were playing, there's an attitude that is needed, and the one Corey is showing with that quote is one of trepidation and nonchalance, not swagger and confidence. Have some f***ing pride in your performance, because it IS a big deal if you play like crap, even if you win.

My biggest problem is him saying that he doesn't care if they give up 1200 yards in a game, as long as they win. What the hell is that? Have some pride as a unit in your performance! If you give up 1200 yards, I think that qualifies you as the worst defense ever, it's not something to just shrug off and say "Oh , well at least we have an offense who can bail us out." I'm sure anyone on here who has every played defense knows what it's like to want to be the best defense in the conference or the country back when they were playing, there's an attitude that is needed, and the one Corey is showing with that quote is one of trepidation and nonchalance, not swagger and confidence. Have some f***ing pride in your performance, because it IS a big deal if you play like crap, even if you win.

Great post!!!! I played defense in high school and we prided ourselves in being known as a hard hitting defense that didn't give up many yards!!!! We loved hitting people in the backfield and just driving people into the ground!!!! McKeon was one of my favorites because of his attitude before the season started. Now I'm just really disappointed in him and I'm afraid he's not one of my favorites anymore. Octo has taken that spot.

why are you disgusted in McKeon?

He was just being honest and telling it like it is and for that I am proud of him. I got his back. You should too.

If playing football for the University of Nebraska is such a burden, he should quit the team!

Can you imagine anyone from Osborne's teams or even Solich's teams talking like that? I sure can't.

pu$$y coaches + average talent = '07 Blackshirts

Couldn't of been said any better.

The defense needs someone to light a fire under their asses. If Cos won't do it, the team needs someone else to do it.

Wow. It sure is easy sitting back behind a computer and anonymously typing these bold declarations as if you have a position from which to make such claims --- because I am sure you, at age 19-21 were a standout student athlete with heart and with great skill and who excelled in front of 100,000 fans and took the heat and bore up under it. Thus, you can legitimatly look down on those who, unlike you, are struggling. Or, perhaps you are just some guy who never played, never were under the microscope and have no platform from which to pontificate but somehow think it OK to demean others who have laid it on the line while you are just hiding there behind an internet moniker as chubby old man athlete wannabe who was always picked last on the team. Only you know who you are.

If the garbage man dumped your garbage all over the street, you'd be pissed, wouldn't you? You wouldn't be *wrong* in saying that he's a crappy garbage man just because you aren't or haven't been a garbage man. It's not unreasonable to expect people to do their jobs even though the critic doesn't do that job.

The defense is playing horrible. Cosgrove should probably go. McKeoon has been a disappointment and

.......some of you people are pathetically mean!!!

Step away from the husker room computer in your mother's basement and go get your own life!!!!!

I've certainly been critical but some of you are over the top and sad! Get off the kid already!!!!

He said what he's said because he is hurting!! Way to attack the wounded!!! Bunch of arm chair QB tough guys!!!

He was just being honest and telling it like it is and for that I am proud of him. I got his back. You should too.

If playing football for the University of Nebraska is such a burden, he should quit the team!

Can you imagine anyone from Osborne's teams or even Solich's teams talking like that? I sure can't.

The defense needs someone to light a fire under their asses. If Cos won't do it, the team needs someone else to do it.

Wow. It sure is easy sitting back behind a computer and anonymously typing these bold declarations as if you have a position from which to make such claims --- because I am sure you, at age 19-21 were a standout student athlete with heart and with great skill and who excelled in front of 100,000 fans and took the heat and bore up under it. Thus, you can legitimatly look down on those who, unlike you, are struggling. Or, perhaps you are just some guy who never played, never were under the microscope and have no platform from which to pontificate but somehow think it OK to demean others who have laid it on the line while you are just hiding there behind an internet moniker as chubby old man athlete wannabe who was always picked last on the team. Only you know who you are.

If the garbage man dumped your garbage all over the street, you'd be pissed, wouldn't you? You wouldn't be *wrong* in saying that he's a crappy garbage man just because you aren't or haven't been a garbage man. It's not unreasonable to expect people to do their jobs even though the critic doesn't do that job.

If observers couldn't write about the experience of others there would be no obituaries.

So, playing college football is a job..... really.

Garbage men work for you and owe you performance because they are servants (as are any public servants like teachers, police, fire fighters, etc.). Thus, you are justified in issuing complaint if they have not performed up to their JOB DESCRIPTION.

Now college athletes are not working --- football is not a job --- they are not servants and are not serving you --- and so you and I have no right to expect anything. Now, they are using tax dollars to get a free education and we pay those taces and if these kids do not graduate and contribute then we have something to say (but then only if we have graduated and are contributing).

But, no.... these kids are playing a game they are not at work and owe nobody anything.

The defense is playing horrible. Cosgrove should probably go. McKeoon has been a disappointment and

.......some of you people are pathetically mean!!!

Step away from the husker room computer in your mother's basement and go get your own life!!!!!

I've certainly been critical but some of you are over the top and sad! Get off the kid already!!!!

He said what he's said because he is hurting!! Way to attack the wounded!!! Bunch of arm chair QB tough guys!!!

Agreed.

"Because at Geico, it's so easy, Even a caveman can do it".

I don't know much about being a garbage man, but one of my 1st jobs as a child was to empty the trash whenever it needed done..

I probably didn't do it as often as my parents wanted me to, but there wasn't a lot of skill involved,,I got the hang of it well enough to feel I could do it for a living or even tell my garbage man a thing or two about how he should do his job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but learning how to play defense changes every week. Responsibilities change with every opponent (Otherwise, they'd catch on to what you were going to do and plan around it..(Or at least our opponents still do)). :hmmph

Even Corey admitted not being able/allowed to to pass rush (his strength) because we don't have the same abilities at (other positions, yet)? to back that plan up.

As good as I thought I was in High School, and as high as my IQ supposedly is, there's no way I could even learn or memorize fancy dance steps or what their names are..I'd still have to rely on free form stuff that leaves my partner with an excellent chance of getting kicked in her head.

I can't imagine trying to learn all my different responsibilities (who to cover) in the different offensive packages they have today..you can't rely on just pure athleticism anymore.

I'd be worse than Howard Cosell trying to talk about sports.

Free Tuition + Good Education + Playing D1 Football = High Expectations (it is not brain surgery)

Sure, most would like to have sunshine and rainbows all of the time, but those things you EARN! You will not receive praise for poor to mediocre play, you earn earn praise. I believe the the team will always have the respect of it's fans, but it is this respect that breeds high expectations. Let me quote Ben Franklin: "He that is good for making excuses, is seldom good for anything else". I cheer for the Huskers, period. I love the history, I love the tradition, and I love the TEAM! I expect a lot from them. If a player comes to Nebraska, they must know that there will be HIGH expectations. If you play with heart and play all out on every down than you will have the respect of Husker Nation. If you take downs off, seem unmotivated, make excuses, or get 1068 yards and 89 points put on you in two games you will (and deservingly so) get scrutinized.

Sure, I could sit back and take the angle "What do you know? Your did not play D1 football", but that is a very obtuse point of view. I would hate to see what other public figures would do if all took this point of view. I have never built a house, but if a wall falls over I know that there was some bad craftsmanship involved. To the same that, if a TEAM GETS 1068 YARDS AND 89 POINTS PUT ON THEM IN 2 GAMES it does not take a coach or player to realize that they are not earning praise. SO instead of bitching about receiving scrutiny from the outside, they need to man up and realize that they have EARNED the scrutiny, and that if their awful play continues they will receive more. "It isn't fun anymore"...You poor baby :( Hold on, I will try to work up a tear for you. :cry Get tough, get back to practice, keep saying to your self "I PLAY FOR NEBRASKA", and start playing like a blackshirt.

As I read the articles about McKeons comments, I thought I heard Christian Peter's head explode........

So, playing college football is a job..... really.

Garbage men work for you and owe you performance because they are servants (as are any public servants like teachers, police, fire fighters, etc.). Thus, you are justified in issuing complaint if they have not performed up to their JOB DESCRIPTION.

Now college athletes are not working --- football is not a job --- they are not servants and are not serving you --- and so you and I have no right to expect anything. Now, they are using tax dollars to get a free education and we pay those taces and if these kids do not graduate and contribute then we have something to say (but then only if we have graduated and are contributing).

But, no.... these kids are playing a game they are not at work and owe nobody anything.

Somebody is paying for their education, so yes, I would say that college football is a job.

Free Tuition + Good Education + Playing D1 Football = High Expectations (it is not brain surgery)

Sure, most would like to have sunshine and rainbows all of the time, but those things you EARN! You will not receive praise for poor to mediocre play, you earn earn praise. I believe the the team will always have the respect of it's fans, but it is this respect that breeds high expectations. Let me quote Ben Franklin: "He that is good for making excuses, is seldom good for anything else". I cheer for the Huskers, period. I love the history, I love the tradition, and I love the TEAM! I expect a lot from them. If a player comes to Nebraska, they must know that there will be HIGH expectations. If you play with heart and play all out on every down than you will have the respect of Husker Nation. If you take downs off, seem unmotivated, make excuses, or get 1068 yards and 89 points put on you in two games you will (and deservingly so) get scrutinized.

Sure, I could sit back and take the angle "What do you know? Your did not play D1 football", but that is a very obtuse point of view. I would hate to see what other public figures would do if all took this point of view. I have never built a house, but if a wall falls over I know that there was some bad craftsmanship involved. To the same that, if a TEAM GETS 1068 YARDS AND 89 POINTS PUT ON THEM IN 2 GAMES it does not take a coach or player to realize that they are not earning praise. SO instead of bitching about receiving scrutiny from the outside, they need to man up and realize that they have EARNED the scrutiny, and that if their awful play continues they will receive more. "It isn't fun anymore"...You poor baby :( Hold on, I will try to work up a tear for you. :cry Get tough, get back to practice, keep saying to your self "I PLAY FOR NEBRASKA", and start playing like a blackshirt.

As I read the articles about McKeons comments, I thought I heard Christian Peter's head explode........

Speaking of a Peter brother, did anyone listen to Jason Peter on the ESPN Radio station in Lincoln yesterday? I'm just curious as to what his take on all of this was.